Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread - Page 682

post #10216 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

MP3Tag does a pretty darn good job of automating the process. If you have a very consistent format on your filenames, then you can tell MP3Tag to use pieces of your filename to build the different tags. For example, if your filename format is Artist_Album_Disc_Track_SongName.mp3, then you can use the "Filename->Tag" function like this: %artist%_%album%_%discnumber%_%track%_%title%.mp3

It will grind through all the directories you tell it to use.

MP3Tag can also use database sources like freedb & Amazon - but I've never had great luck with that feature - I think there's too much cr@p in the freedb database for the matches to be consistently correct.

That sounds pretty good. I should have a look at it.

 

BTW, I envy guys who can concentrate on audio books. Each time I listen, it ends up with me losing focus for just a second, making me wonder what I just missed, and of course this thinking makes me miss again, and now we're on a slippery slope here. Aggravating, to say the least. I do however like to read though, especially on the subway if I get a seat and I don't have a coffee in my hand. Mostly on the tablet, because books are just so much more available in digital format nowadays. Most of the books I want to read are just one pirate bay, or apple/kindle bookstore, away.

 

Audio books makes me wonder when someone is going to be foolish enough to try comic audio books. I'd buy. Once. For the laugh.

post #10217 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

I'm assuming one book per folder, so...1,912 books?(!)

Also, looking at the creation date for the folder, was the drive a gift?

Yes, in general there is one book per folder, although there is a layer of folders for the authors, then under that for each book. I have 196 author folders. There are also sometimes subfolders between the authors and the books for a series, for example: Terry Pratchett -> DiscWorld -> The Color of Magic

The date is misleading - that is a fairly new network drive and I copied the libraries from my old network drive to my new drive. I'm now using the old drive as my backup. I've been collecting audiobooks longer than MP3s have existed - I started with cassette tapes from the public library. I've been listening to books for ~20 years. I started moving my cassettes & CDs to MP3 in around 2001, but the collection didn't really start growing until after I bought my first MP3 player in ~2004. 99% of the books are SciFi - Asimov, Heinlein, Sturgeon, Niven, Barnes, Clark, de Camp, Wells, Turtledove - plus lots of others both new and old.


Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/16/13 at 4:21pm
post #10218 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

I wish there was a completely automatic autotagger that could look up which rip you have, artist, album, hook up some nice album art, and so on, that you could leave running overnight and be done with it.Maybe there is something like that?

I've used http://www.tuneupmedia.com/ to tag an unwieldy music collection on a PC at one time.
The software pairs up with iTunes and did a decent job of tagging, adding cover art and removing duplicates.
You had to be available to keep the process moving along, with confirmation mouse clicks.
Imperative to back up you music collection before letting this program romp through the files.
Paid software was worth it to clean gigabytes of music file mess.

For audio books, in order to really listen, I have to be driving my vehicle some distance alone.
Edited by 5aces - 11/16/13 at 8:25pm
post #10219 of 11289
Hey Warren, my jellyfish tank is done, finally. They're going to deliver and install it next week.


LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #10220 of 11289
There are things I can do while listening to audio books, and things that I can't do. For example, I can't cruise the forum, read web pages or watch a video while listening to audio books. However, I can drive while listening, or play mindless games like Bejeweled or Solitaire and listen to audiobooks. I suspect it has something to do with the section of brain that is processing language - I suspect that brain center can only do one thing at a time. I'll bet I could look at pictures, but not words. Apparently, my brain runs in mono... tongue.gif

In other news, my wife brought me back a t-shirt from her recent business trip to Texas:


Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/17/13 at 12:10am
post #10221 of 11289

Texas Tee...

:popcorn:

post #10222 of 11289

Final impressions are up on my YT channel concerning the DX50

post #10223 of 11289
Well, I gotta say, you tried much harder with that piece of junk that I would have! One of my pet peeves is a HW company that thinks they can write SW. Bad SW has killed a lot of good HW - but the HW companies never seem to learn. The USB port sounds like it really was a HW QC problem - and although it's frustrating - it does happen, even to the best of companies. But the rest of it? Those are signs of bad SW made by a bad SW development process and a bad testing process. IME, this is all too common of the SW developed by small HW companies. They think SW is like HW - where you can test the range of inputs over the finite states, verify the outputs are within spec, and call it good. SW doesn't work like that. SW is not a finite state machine constrained by the physical connections between components. If I screw-up the SW logic, I can foul-up in nearly infinite ways. This can happen in HW too (ie RF interference issues that cause issues between components that are not connected), but in HW, those situations can generally be avoided with a little careful design work done upfront. In SW, all it takes is a fat finger to cause your code to start writing random junk in random parts of memory - and have it only happen in certain situations that are not at all obvious.

I am NOT saying that HW engineering is easier than SW engineering. But, it is MUCH different, and it takes good SW engineers with a high degree of knowledge and experience - and that's what the silly HW companies never learn.





Edited by billybob_jcv - 11/17/13 at 9:16am
post #10224 of 11289

Big HW companies can flub up SW pretty badly as well. The Clip Zip firmware is a prime example. I gave up after about four hours of inscrutable crashing. It's really bad when the (then) beta-level Rockbox firmware for that particular device was more stable, and of course now that it's out of beta, it's rock solid.

post #10225 of 11289
Sony is terrrrrible at software. They make nice hw but their sw/ui is cumbersome and just bad at times.
post #10226 of 11289
If my old 40G ipod video ever quits working, I'll probably get a refurbished Clip+ or Zip + a micro SD card and put Rockbox on it. For some reason, I don't like using my phone as a music player - I prefer having it as a separate device - not sure why...
post #10227 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post


I've used http://www.tuneupmedia.com/ to tag an unwieldy music collection on a PC at one time.
The software pairs up with iTunes and did a decent job of tagging, adding cover art and removing duplicates.
You had to be available to keep the process moving along, with confirmation mouse clicks.
Imperative to back up you music collection before letting this program romp through the files.
Paid software was worth it to clean gigabytes of music file mess.

For audio books, in order to really listen, I have to be driving my vehicle some distance alone.

That seemed like a very good alternative. When you say it pairs up with iTunes, how do you mean?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Final impressions are up on my YT channel concerning the DX50

Wow, that didn't exactly seem especially fun to hear. Personally I've abandoned the idea of a separate DAP to be honest. Not because I wouldn't enjoy it, I probably would, but because I'm tired of adding additional bulk. I'm more than satisfied with the iPhone and the Klipsch X10i which are hated and loved here, but actually sounds good to my ears and pairs up well with the iPhone. There seems to be a sort of synergy going on with those two, imo. Add to that, that the X10's are so incredibly small and nice feeling (you can't beat the Klipsch silicone tips), then it's a given and I prefer it a lot over my IE80's for instance. Even if there are better sounding headphones for the price ($100), I just can't find myself interested in them anymore if they aren't as ridiculously comfortable as the X10's.

 

The mere thought of adding another player into my pocket, or bag, just seems so far away for me right now. Also, 64 GB storage on the iPhone is enough space to for a lot of mp3's while still being roomy for future photography and such. But as with everything here, your mileage WILL vary. The small sonic advantage (IMO) of a separate DAP with bigger headphones just isn't worth the added bulk.

 

I don't know, I've just kind of lost interest in everything higher end than mid-fi because it just isn't worth everything that goes with it. Maybe I'm changing my mind later on, but for now, I'm satisfied with my gear. Klipsch X10 with iPhone on the go, and Denon D2000 with iPad for stationary listening (at work or at home). Everything else is probably going to go (my Pro 900's are at a friends house ATM because he may buy them, all the others I may just give away to my wife and friends in need).

post #10228 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Texas Tee...
popcorn.gif

Good BHB reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

There are things I can do while listening to audio books, and things that I can't do. For example, I can't cruise the forum, read web pages or watch a video while listening to audio books. However, I can drive while listening, or play mindless games like Bejeweled or Solitaire and listen to audiobooks. I suspect it has something to do with the section of brain that is processing language - I suspect that brain center can only do one thing at a time. I'll bet I could look at pictures, but not words. Apparently, my brain runs in mono... tongue.gif

In other news, my wife brought me back a t-shirt from her recent business trip to Texas:


I have one of those, in blue. eek.gif
post #10229 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I am NOT saying that HW engineering is easier than SW engineering. But, it is MUCH different, and it takes good SW engineers with a high degree of knowledge and experience - and that's what the silly HW companies never learn.




Haha. Love Dilbert.

post #10230 of 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

When you say it pairs up with iTunes, how do you mean?

The software is written to work along with an iTunes library, unfortunately.
So you if you have a few hundred gigs of unorganized music files, using iTunes as your player, you can have at it.
If you are on a PC without iTunes, you would have to download iTunes and import your music library into the iTunes media folder for TuneUp to run.
The program window appears on the right side of the iTunes player screen, and integrates itself with the music library via iTunes.

Again, if you try this software, do have your original music library backed up elsewhere.
It isn't perfect but it will organize a huge nameless mess and really straighten up a large number of poorly tagged files, running for a couple days if need be.
With really big libraries (more than 10,000 tracks), Drag n Drop presents you with a way to 'feed' TuneUp in chunks, this is the time consuming part if you have hundreds of gigs...
Edited by 5aces - 11/17/13 at 4:15pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread