Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Headphones?

post #1 of 215
Thread Starter 

Im debating on the AKG 701's or V-Moda M80's. Which are best?

I mainly listen to rock, and some rap. I want it to sound great, and hopefully not "leak" alot of sound. I'll use them on plane rides, and that sort..

post #2 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteGeek91 View Post

Im debating on the AKG 701's or V-Moda M80's. Which are best?

I mainly listen to rock, and some rap. I want it to sound great, and hopefully not "leak" alot of sound. I'll use them on plane rides, and that sort..

Lol. The AKGs will leak a LOT of sound, even for an open headphone. V-Moda M80s are completely different headphones since they are in the supraaural category. However, if you have to choose between the two, go with the M80s since they do offer a lot more noise isolation - it's a bit mediocre though - and they will suit your genres better due to a much greater bass presence. 

post #3 of 215
Thread Starter 

Mediocre? Why?

Well okay forgot all about noise isolation, what is best?

Then also tell me a great pair that does isolate noise (For plane rides, etc).

 

Thanks so much. Sorry Im a noob at this. Just wanting something better than Skullcandy crap.

 

I would get Beats, but here theyre plastic crap, with a high price tag for no reason besides the name..

post #4 of 215
Thread Starter 

Basically I just want awesome, crisp sound, with good highs and mids, along with awesome low-end bass (With an amp of course).

post #5 of 215

AKG 701/702s are completely open and leak basically all of their sound. They are also the last headphones I would call rap headphones. Their bass is light-footed and realistic and probably wouldn't suit simple drum machine/bass bomb genres, until Wagner releases a rap album.

post #6 of 215

Rock as a genre is basically anything involving guitars and attempts to trace its lineage or define its sound are hopeless so you might want to list specific bands.

 

However, if you just want something that reaches extreme lows and extreme highs and sounds really "wow" with no regard for academic flatness then consider the Ultrasone brand.

post #7 of 215

You may look into the Mad Dogs which are modded Fostex TP50s. I am waiting for a pair to arrive and they have great reviews. I Think they may fit you very well but you may want to research them more as I have not actually heard them personally... yet ^_~

 

cheers

post #8 of 215
Thread Starter 

Wow so freaking $300+ AKG headphones basically are a piece of crap?

I want something with nice tight bass, and doesnt let the whole plane hear. If I wanted that, I'd buy 8" car speakers.

 

Thanks for your help, but I guess I dont see the big hype about "cans".

post #9 of 215
I would get some grados for rock but they are wide open. That would be my choice for rock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

You may look into the Mad Dogs which are modded Fostex TP50s. I am waiting for a pair to arrive and they have great reviews. I Think they may fit you very well but you may want to research them more as I have not actually heard them personally... yet ^_~

 

cheers


Mad dogs are pretty awesome for rock too, can't go wrong there I love my mad dogs but again if I'm in a rock mood I always grab my grados

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #11 of 215
Thread Starter 

How about for rap?

post #12 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteGeek91 View Post

Wow so freaking $300+ AKG headphones basically are a piece of crap?

I want something with nice tight bass, and doesnt let the whole plane hear. If I wanted that, I'd buy 8" car speakers.

 

Thanks for your help, but I guess I dont see the big hype about "cans".

No. Controlled bass and sound leakage are actually why people pay $300 for them since those are considered desirable traits. Just not for what you're asking. Listening to rap on an airplane isn't really audiophile territory.

 

For that, most $20 closed headphones will probably do a better job.

post #13 of 215
Thread Starter 
I see hmm... so in ear or over the ear? Crap now idk what I want lol.

I have some AKG 422's I think they're called, and they're good but leak alot..
post #14 of 215

Check out the Ultrasone HFI-580s. They isolate pretty well and they have the exaggerated bass and treble that would pair well with rap. Someone will inevitably suggest Audio Technica ATH-M50s as well so it might as well be me.

post #15 of 215
Thread Starter 
Thanks will look into those!

Also what about these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826558052
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphones?