Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon ah-d600 review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon ah-d600 review. - Page 3

post #31 of 89
thanks for the review, i will give the 340 a try than
post #32 of 89

Hey all,

 

I have not been following the headphone trends lately and I just found out they discontinued the D2k's! Thankfully I bought mine 3 years ago. So out of curiosity, I went to BB and purchased a pair.

 

First impressions:

 

- Too much bass as others have noticed. I felt as if it was "very sensitive" to even the smallest amount of bass becomes exaggerated. Many have said this goes away after burn-in.

 

- The mids were a bit dark, this may be due to the fact that the highs are not as bright as the d2k. It does not have the "sizzle" in the s's in 'sssss'mile or 'sssss'moke. Perhaps I got used to the sizzling signature highs of the d2k's.  Because of the higher frequency bump, the d2k's have more detail in the 2-2.5k kHz and higher. 

 

I had it play some loud music for 3 hours that are mixed with peaking highs and pounding bass. A quick listening session followed:

 

The highs have opened up a bit. I can hear a wider stage and the image is not as dark. The pianos notes were quite good, especially the lower notes in the 70-120 Hz region. (This may be attributed from the exaggerated bass) The bass however, still bloated not as well defined as my d2k's while playing Hans Zimmer - Time. These cans sounds like subwoofer in front of your ear.

 

Now its worth noting that I am using the stock cable with the D600 vs custom cables of the d2k. New cables may help with the "darkness" issue but will not help much in solving the muddy bass. I keep my money in my audiophile gear so it does not make sense to go spend $500 on cables just to test this D600.

 

Conclusion thus far: Keeping my d2k's. I paid $206 for them new on amazon 3 years ago so they are a steal. If the D600 drop to $250, I may consider picking one up. But $500 for these is too much for what youre getting. Why did Denon bloat these cans with bass is beyond me. I have noticed most music listeners are not of audiophile pickiness and lots of bass sounds good to the ear. (Why do you think Beats did so well?) I imagine these cans are for more fast paced music with a mixture of drums and synthesized beats. They do sound really good in that regard. But for laid-back music or attention to detail, I would skip on these.

post #33 of 89

someone just put up one for us200,

the cra$$$$$h has just started !!

beerchug.gif

post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowing884 View Post

Hey all,

I have not been following the headphone trends lately and I just found out they discontinued the D2k's! Thankfully I bought mine 3 years ago. So out of curiosity, I went to BB and purchased a pair.

First impressions:

- Too much bass as others have noticed. I felt as if it was "very sensitive" to even the smallest amount of bass becomes exaggerated. Many have said this goes away after burn-in.

- The mids were a bit dark, this may be due to the fact that the highs are not as bright as the d2k. It does not have the "sizzle" in the s's in 'sssss'mile or 'sssss'moke. Perhaps I got used to the sizzling signature highs of the d2k's.  Because of the higher frequency bump, the d2k's have more detail in the 2-2.5k kHz and higher. 


I had it play some loud music for 3 hours that are mixed with peaking highs and pounding bass. A quick listening session followed:

The highs have opened up a bit. I can hear a wider stage and the image is not as dark. The pianos notes were quite good, especially the lower notes in the 70-120 Hz region. (This may be attributed from the exaggerated bass) The bass however, still bloated not as well defined as my d2k's while playing Hans Zimmer - Time. These cans sounds like subwoofer in front of your ear.

Now its worth noting that I am using the stock cable with the D600 vs custom cables of the d2k. New cables may help with the "darkness" issue but will not help much in solving the muddy bass. I keep my money in my audiophile gear so it does not make sense to go spend $500 on cables just to test this D600.

Conclusion thus far: Keeping my d2k's. I paid $206 for them new on amazon 3 years ago so they are a steal. If the D600 drop to $250, I may consider picking one up. But $500 for these is too much for what youre getting. Why did Denon bloat these cans with bass is beyond me. I have noticed most music listeners are not of audiophile pickiness and lots of bass sounds good to the ear. (Why do you think Beats did so well?) I imagine these cans are for more fast paced music with a mixture of drums and synthesized beats. They do sound really good in that regard. But for laid-back music or attention to detail, I would skip on these.

I paid $239 a month ago and worth every penny. I have both the MarkL modded D2000 and the D600, like them both and use them both depending on mood.

I think you'll find a set for the $250 range from now on. Somewhere, try Amazon used/refurbed.
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowing884 View Post

Hey all,

 

I have not been following the headphone trends lately and I just found out they discontinued the D2k's! Thankfully I bought mine 3 years ago. So out of curiosity, I went to BB and purchased a pair.

 

First impressions:

 

- Too much bass as others have noticed. I felt as if it was "very sensitive" to even the smallest amount of bass becomes exaggerated. Many have said this goes away after burn-in.

 

- The mids were a bit dark, this may be due to the fact that the highs are not as bright as the d2k. It does not have the "sizzle" in the s's in 'sssss'mile or 'sssss'moke. Perhaps I got used to the sizzling signature highs of the d2k's.  Because of the higher frequency bump, the d2k's have more detail in the 2-2.5k kHz and higher. 

 

I had it play some loud music for 3 hours that are mixed with peaking highs and pounding bass. A quick listening session followed:

 

The highs have opened up a bit. I can hear a wider stage and the image is not as dark. The pianos notes were quite good, especially the lower notes in the 70-120 Hz region. (This may be attributed from the exaggerated bass) The bass however, still bloated not as well defined as my d2k's while playing Hans Zimmer - Time. These cans sounds like subwoofer in front of your ear.

 

Now its worth noting that I am using the stock cable with the D600 vs custom cables of the d2k. New cables may help with the "darkness" issue but will not help much in solving the muddy bass. I keep my money in my audiophile gear so it does not make sense to go spend $500 on cables just to test this D600.

 

Conclusion thus far: Keeping my d2k's. I paid $206 for them new on amazon 3 years ago so they are a steal. If the D600 drop to $250, I may consider picking one up. But $500 for these is too much for what youre getting. Why did Denon bloat these cans with bass is beyond me. I have noticed most music listeners are not of audiophile pickiness and lots of bass sounds good to the ear. (Why do you think Beats did so well?) I imagine these cans are for more fast paced music with a mixture of drums and synthesized beats. They do sound really good in that regard. But for laid-back music or attention to detail, I would skip on these.

 

I really hope you didn't pay $500 for these if you bought them recently. Btw you can already find them for $250-$300 in several places. They're definitely worth $250. 

post #36 of 89

Most if not all mainstream focused headphones (i.e. Beats competitors) are overpriced. Denon is also trying to target hi-fi/speakers users who are familiar with their hi-fi audio gears (which are pretty good) rather than pure headphones enthusiasts. Speakers folks can easily fork out tens of thousands of bucks for a complete system, so a $500 pair of headphones suddenly doesn't seem that expensive anymore. If you go to a local bookstore and pick up any hi-fi magazines you can see Denon heavily marketing those headphones there as a portable solution to a hi-fi setup.

 

It's becoming a trend for hi-fi audio manufacturers to jump into the headphones bandwagon thanks to Beat's success: harman/kardon, B&W, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo. KEF, B&O, etc. I really hope all of them will be in Apple Stores one day.

post #37 of 89
My feelings are that the D7100 are portable Hi-Fi. It sounds amazing on the iPhone 5.
Reply
post #38 of 89
post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechAgent View Post

Absurd Sale - http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D600-ManiacTM-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00858I4F2/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1374079139&sr=8-58&keywords=AKG

 

This is crazy , the x1 is also on sale (I envy you Americans)


That's actually not a bad price but I bought mine for $239 (used/open box but it LOOKED new).  If you look at the right hand side and see the $252 price for used THAT is a good price.  Well worth it at those prices. 

post #40 of 89

I have a pair of X1's on my head right now, but I am very interested in D600 as well. As much as I love the X1's, I can't use them on the go or in public areas :/
Has anyone heard both D600 and X1 and is willing to provide me with some opinion? (:

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5610 View Post

I have a pair of X1's on my head right now, but I am very interested in D600 as well. As much as I love the X1's, I can't use them on the go or in public areas :/

Has anyone heard both D600 and X1 and is willing to provide me with some opinion? (:

I own both. D600 is a very powerful headphone with lots of fun bass. Both have recessed mids and the x1 is more allround in my opinion. D600 is very nice for certain types of music like hiphop, edm, rnb and rock etc if you want a bass emphasized sound. It is very dynamic with my odac/o2 combo to the extent that it will hurt your ears after longer listening sessions if you play loud. Probably because of the sound pressure. Some say it does not have the most natural sound, I can agree to that. My girlfriend loves it, comfortable and great bass is her opinion. Sound is clear and soundstage is good for a closed headphone. Headband is big and wide, it does not fit smaller heads.
Edited by HiFiRobot - 11/13/13 at 7:56am
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRobot View Post


I own both. D600 is a very powerful headphone with lots of fun bass. Both have recessed mids and the x1 is more allround in my opinion. D600 is very nice for certain types of music like hiphop, edm, rnb and rock etc if you want a bass emphasized sound. It is very dynamic with my odac/o2 combo to the extent that it will hurt your ears after longer listening sessions if you play loud. Probably because of the sound pressure. Some say it does not have the most natural sound, I can agree to that. My girlfriend loves it, comfortable and great bass is her opinion. Sound is clear and soundstage is good for a closed headphone. Headband is big and wide, it does not fit smaller heads.

 

 

Sounds great! I'm not an audiophile so neutrality isn't a main issue for me. As long as my music sounds good coming out of my headphones I'm happy :atsmile:
I will definitely give these cans a try, after I figure out how to get my hands on them :tongue_smile:
What would you say is the biggest difference between the D600 and X1 though? (besides one being closed and the other open)

post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5610 View Post


Sounds great! I'm not an audiophile so neutrality isn't a main issue for me. As long as my music sounds good coming out of my headphones I'm happy atsmile.gif

I will definitely give these cans a try, after I figure out how to get my hands on them tongue_smile.gif

What would you say is the biggest difference between the D600 and X1 though? (besides one being closed and the other open)

Difficult question. X1 is fun and seems to suit a lot of people, sometimes voices are a bit distant and electric guitars lack some crunch. It has sweet easy listened sound with a nice sub-bass. D600 is FUN with a BOOM! but not for everyone. D600 has its place in my collection and I enjoy it very much. I do not think D600 is worth 500$, it's way overpriced at that pricepoint. I paid 250$ at B&H New York.
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRobot View Post


Difficult question. X1 is fun and seems to suit a lot of people, sometimes voices are a bit distant and electric guitars lack some crunch. It has sweet easy listened sound with a nice sub-bass. D600 is FUN with a BOOM! but not for everyone. D600 has its place in my collection and I enjoy it very much. I do not think D600 is worth 500$, it's way overpriced at that pricepoint. I paid 250$ at B&H New York.

From all the descriptions I've been reading, the D600 seem a lot like the Beyerdynaimc Custom One Pro that I used to own. While those were a pair of really "fun" headphones, the bass overwhelmed me at times. At the price range the D600 is in, I can expect that it is a step up from the Custom One Pro, right? 
I just found out my local headphone shop has one out for demo, so I can go test it out first hand :L3000:
Thanks for all the replies, you've been a great help ! :beerchug:

post #45 of 89

The COP have quite recessed mids, The D600 are slightly less forward but not recessed, Bigger soundstage too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon ah-d600 review.