Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ready to get some low/mid-fi portable iem's or over the ear's......which ones??? ( < $100)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ready to get some low/mid-fi portable iem's or over the ear's......which ones??? ( < $100)

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

So I'm working my way up the audiophile ladder and I got enough funds to get another pair. I'm not ready to dish out lots of money just yet on head gear :) but I'm getting there.

 

I'm basically looking for PORTABLE head gear, whether it be iem's or over the head (I prefer these since I already have enough iem's and only 1 pair of over the ear which is the is JVC Harx-900, and well...I've kinda given up on those (no bass, and fatiguing highs, they're just not pleasing...)).

 

I'll be making this my "overall" pair of cans, so I'll not only be using them around campus, but also at home, for gaming, etc, so a pair of good all rounders would be nice....

 

I'm hoping to spend less than $100, and I want an all rounding sound pair (one that's good for more than just music as well eg. Battlefield 3 and weekly episodes of breaking bad :P). I do like emphasized tight bass, but not too much either.

 

In terms of music, I really listen to everything, but jazz, nu-jazz, electronic and alternative & post-rock are probably my most popular genres. 

 

So far I've been looking at vsonic GR04's, sony XB-500, koss porta-pros. But I haven't researched enough either :S

 

Thanks!!!! :)

post #2 of 27
Have a look at the Etymotic MC5 IEM also.

A great IEM that costs about 50 bucks, has a 2 year warranty, and can be tuned to your liking with the... NRB Mod

Cheers, Jim
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Have a look at the Etymotic MC5 IEM also.
A great IEM that costs about 50 bucks, has a 2 year warranty, and can be tuned to your liking with the... NRB Mod
Cheers, Jim

50 Bucks? Awesome.....I'll definitley look into it

post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 

Nobody else....? :(

post #5 of 27
If in Canada the Sony XBA3 are sale for $99 which is a heck of a price for a triple balanced armature IEM. Sale end on Sunday though, three days only.
post #6 of 27

The Hippo VB is a good under $100 IEM and you can change the bass with the interchangeable bass ports.  I like the balanced ones (they have no dots, the enhanced bass has 2 and extreme bass has 3 dots) and they still have a really good amount of bass that's tight with good depth.  The highs are crisp and good detail in the midrange with a good soundstage.

post #7 of 27
I think Yamaha EPH-100 would be good if you can max out to $115 through Audio Affair. Or....Turbines on amazon for $79.
post #8 of 27
The Yamis are dead... Not worth 15 bucks, much less 115.

Have a look a the Yami failure thread.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I think Yamaha EPH-100 would be good if you can max out to $115 through Audio Affair. Or....Turbines on amazon for $79.
post #9 of 27
you should try the re zeros or re0s from hifiman
post #10 of 27
Good Advice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

If in Canada the Sony XBA3 are sale for $99 which is a heck of a price for a triple balanced armature IEM. Sale end on Sunday though, three days only.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

The Yamis are dead... Not worth 15 bucks, much less 115.
Have a look a the Yami failure thread.
Jim

I was apart of that thread and the on going problem some users experience. smile.gifH20Fidelity
post #12 of 27
Yes, I have read it from top to bottom...

So why would you recommend them to anyone?

Just curious, Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I was apart of that thread and the on going problem some users experience. smile.gifH20Fidelity
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

The Yamis are dead... Not worth 15 bucks, much less 115.
Have a look a the Yami failure thread.
Jim

 

What are you talking about, a few people having problems with them doesn't mean there dead.  Look at the TF10's they've had more problems than the EPH-100 and people still buy thoughs.  I was one that had an issue with mine it only happened once, I sold them (not because of any problem with them just didn't listen to them much anymore) and the person that bought them has had no problems at all.  Have you ever owned the EPH-100, wait I know the answer NO because you only listen to Etymotic so please don't comment on an IEM you don't know about as they're well worth $115 imo.

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Yes, I have read it from top to bottom...
So why would you recommend them to anyone?
Just curious, Jim

Because, I feel they fit the OP's criteria regardless of the problem. My beef in the Yamaha EPH-100 thread wasn't so much about the product itself but to prove more than 10 people had experienced it within the threads birthing which other members tried to write off as invalid.

Anyway, let's put our police officer questioner hats away shall we. tongue.gif
Edited by H20Fidelity - 10/6/12 at 7:37pm
post #15 of 27
IMO, they are not worth 115. Perhaps you could explain why you think they are worth that.

Jim

PS I would not take a chance with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

What are you talking about, a few people having problems with them doesn't mean there dead.  Look at the TF10's they've had more problems than the EPH-100 and people still buy thoughs.  I was one that had an issue with mine it only happened once, I sold them (not because of any problem with them just didn't listen to them much anymore) and the person that bought them has had no problems at all.  Have you ever owned the EPH-100, wait I know the answer NO because you only listen to Etymotic so please don't comment on an IEM you don't know about as they're well worth $115 imo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ready to get some low/mid-fi portable iem's or over the ear's......which ones??? ( < $100)