Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions - Page 9

post #121 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Well I just ordered these. I have been mostly into closed full size cans and could never find a good set I liked for sound and travel. There was just always too many compromises. That led me to pick up a cheap set of Shure SE215s. They isolate better than any full size and sound really good. Well that good sound was a blessing and a curse. It always leads me to wondering how much better it could get. After thorough research of Head-Fi, I was led here. I was looking for the same thing I have been looking for in my full size. I want good bass without being overbearing along with details, great high end air and lush mids. The Shures delivered on the bass and mids. The bass was a little overbearing at times and not as controlled as I wanted. The highs, details and air was never really there. The Shures just seemed to get congested. I almost purchased the MkIIs a couple of times. After being truthful with myself I think I value a little more kick in the low end than I do clarity. They should be here Saturday. Hopefully these will be a real step up from the Shures. I have tried out a few fairly high end IEMs that didn't make me want to leave the Shures, most notably the IE80s and UE900s. Both were better IEMs but not nearly worth the cost difference. The VSonics hit the cost/performance sweet spot but the Shures are pretty good bang for the buck. The last thing I am hoping for is good isolation. I know it probably wont be as good as the Shures but hopefully its close.

I find they isolate pretty decently.  I now use the Sony Hybrid Greens (official ones from the set on Amazon for $8) and they are nicer than the included duplicates, so I can recommend looking into that.  I was using the stock tips they come with installed and those were pretty excellent too, but I find the hybrids stay in my ears better.  Honestly, I think you will be satisfied.  The bass goes deep and is textured, adds some enhancement to the mids without bleeding into them, and the detail is astounding and seperated.  I use them so frequently now, I am considering retiring my other 2 IEMs all together - they truly are versatile for every genre I've thrown their way.  Also, I think the Fiio E11 pairs very nicely with them as well, if you are considering a portable amp.


Edited by modulor - 1/17/13 at 7:19pm
post #122 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

I find they isolate pretty decently.  I now use the Sony Hybrid Greens (official ones from the set on Amazon for $8) and they are nicer than the included duplicates, so I can recommend looking into that.  I was using the stock tips they come with installed and those were pretty excellent too, but I find the hybrids stay in my ears better.  Honestly, I think you will be satisfied.  The bass goes deep and is textured, adds some enhancement to the mids without bleeding into them, and the detail is astounding and seperated.  I use them so frequently now, I am considering retiring my other 2 IEMs all together - they truly are versatile for every genre I've thrown their way.  Also, I think the Fiio E11 pairs very nicely with them as well, if you are considering a portable amp.

Well I have a Dragonfly for my laptop and I use that when I'm on the go. I also have a Fiio E6. I did have an E11 but I found I just liked have more or an inline amp thats very small. Looking forward to getting them and seeing what all the fuss is about. The only drawback I see is the extended burn in time. 

post #123 of 2411

I thought I'd update my experience with these IEMs.  So far I'm well over the 150 hours of burn in (they sounded so much better for so long that I don't really bother keeping track anymore) and made a quick A/B comparison with my friend's Klipsch Image X10 again.

 

The last time I've compared them, I was jealous of the X10's soundstage and bass.  The X10's sounded more in-your-face.  But now that I've compared them again, they sound almost alike.  I would say the bass on both of these are even to my ears, BUT I also feel that the GR07 BE was definitely more balanced (maybe by a very tiny margin) as I heard the mids a bit more upfront than I did with the X10s. 

 

The GR07 BE's are amazing! My favorite on-the-go pairs. I also take these in the gym with me and oh my- I'm very confident that this will last me forever from the way I take care of it and its durable design.  I still have my Senns HD 280 after 8 years and they are still a great pair worth listening to amped while I'm at home.

 

I'm used the red/gray cable-look.  Looked odd at first, but when I look at it when I'm wearing them, it's very subtle-looking and leaves a metallic look.

post #124 of 2411
As much as I love the GR07 BE, I will have put them up for sale. My SM3 V2 are on thier way and I needed some cash. Anyone in the Philippines interested, let me know. I am thinking of getting another GR07 in the near future, but I will probably get the MK2s to broaden my experience, so to speak.

smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Annafrancesca - 1/17/13 at 8:50pm
post #125 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Well I have a Dragonfly for my laptop and I use that when I'm on the go. I also have a Fiio E6. I did have an E11 but I found I just liked have more or an inline amp thats very small. Looking forward to getting them and seeing what all the fuss is about. The only drawback I see is the extended burn in time. 

I felt they sounded great after about 40+ hours, but it's likely the properties of the biocellulose drivers that with use they 'break in' over time...I can't say for sure.

post #126 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annafrancesca View Post

As much as I love the GR07 BE, I will have put them up for sale. My SM3 V2 are on thier way and I needed some cash. Anyone in the Philippines interested, let me know. I am thinking of getting another GR07 in the near future, but I will probably get the MK2s to broaden my experience, so to speak.

smily_headphones1.gif

Understandable...there's another GR07 revision coming up soon and I think they are changing the housing a bit...plus the 7007 (aka GR08) hybrids should be coming out soon as well :)

post #127 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Understandable...there's another GR07 revision coming up soon and I think they are changing the housing a bit...plus the 7007 (aka GR08) hybrids should be coming out soon as well smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I think the Gr07 "mk3" will come out in March, new housing. And yes, I've been able to save up for the gr08 "7007" but I always end up buying another IEM and the cycle just continues.
post #128 of 2411

WOW!!!! Just got my GR07BEs and straight out of the box I am impressed. The clarity and balance is nice. The bass is still lighter than the Shure SE215s but so much better controlled and voiced. The highs are amazing and hit a real sweet spot for me. I can hear some of the sibilance people have talked about but its only at higher volumes for me. Got alot of burning in and listening to do but these are keepers. I am glad I got these instead of the MkIIs. I would have always wondered and I prefer a touch more bass if it is done right.

 

I do have a question though. I am using the foam tips and I like them. Is there a preferred way to position the nozzles for best results? I know it depends on the ear but I was wondering if there was a good starting point. TIA.

post #129 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
I do have a question though. I am using the foam tips and I like them. Is there a preferred way to position the nozzles for best results? I know it depends on the ear but I was wondering if there was a good starting point. TIA.

 

Trial and Error.

post #130 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

WOW!!!! Just got my GR07BEs and straight out of the box I am impressed. The clarity and balance is nice. The bass is still lighter than the Shure SE215s but so much better controlled and voiced. The highs are amazing and hit a real sweet spot for me. I can hear some of the sibilance people have talked about but its only at higher volumes for me. Got alot of burning in and listening to do but these are keepers. I am glad I got these instead of the MkIIs. I would have always wondered and I prefer a touch more bass if it is done right.

I do have a question though. I am using the foam tips and I like them. Is there a preferred way to position the nozzles for best results? I know it depends on the ear but I was wondering if there was a good starting point. TIA.

If it is loose enough, you can try and adjust the nozzle while you're wearing them. I find using smaller tips have an effect on treble and the most forward position gives me the brightest sound sig. The middle and back position reduces the treble and gives you an illusion of bigger bass. With other tips, I cant tell the difference when adjusting the nozzle.

It will also depend on how deep you insert them. Shallow insertion provides the greatest difference between forward and back position, when inserted deeply, I cant tell the difference at all.

Lastly, anatomy plays a big role. Your ear canals may be very different from mine and you may get different effects.

So after that month-long explanation, I would agree with zerocoolhifi....

Trial and error.

Just to add, I think the adjustable nozzle was designed to provide better fit, and I suppose Vsonic did't anticipate it would have an effect on sound .
Edited by Annafrancesca - 1/19/13 at 10:53pm
post #131 of 2411
Well I took some Comply T100s I had lying around and stretched them on a pencil. They fit well and reduce the effects of the nozzle since they are shorter. They are the rounded comfort version. The supplied tips I found were a bit long and closed off on me. I guess I insert these deeper. So far so good. I just prefer foams due to comfort and isolation.

As a side note, these cant match the Shures for isolation. They seem they will be good enough though and the fit is better for me. The Shures gave a bit of pain but I can tell already these are great.

I hate I am late to this party but for those out there on the fence about these I would offer these are not basshead IEMs. They have a bass tilt to them but they are not close to some I have heard. For me they split the difference nicely of having a "fun" signature and being a true monitor.
Edited by awtryau89 - 1/19/13 at 10:45am
post #132 of 2411
If you have an MH1c, try using the gel tips on the Gr07.. biggrin.gif

I have never tried Shure IEMs, but I know what you mean about the meh isolation. My cheap Meelec A151 can put the G07 to shame when it comes to keeping noise out.
Edited by Annafrancesca - 1/19/13 at 10:57pm
post #133 of 2411

nm


Edited by imacat00 - 1/19/13 at 11:37pm
post #134 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Well I took some Comply T100s I had lying around and stretched them on a pencil. They fit well and reduce the effects of the nozzle since they are shorter. They are the rounded comfort version. The supplied tips I found were a bit long and closed off on me. I guess I insert these deeper. So far so good. I just prefer foams due to comfort and isolation.

As a side note, these cant match the Shures for isolation. They seem they will be good enough though and the fit is better for me. The Shures gave a bit of pain but I can tell already these are great.

I hate I am late to this party but for those out there on the fence about these I would offer these are not basshead IEMs. They have a bass tilt to them but they are not close to some I have heard. For me they split the difference nicely of having a "fun" signature and being a true monitor.

I have some Ts100s as well (had originally gotten them for my Atrio MG7) but never thought to try stretching them to size.  Do you noticed a change compared to the stock foams?  I had thought about getting either the Ts200 or Ts400 to try, but if the 100s don't affect the sound I'll give them a try!  I currently use genuine sony hybrids (easily found on Amazon for about $8) and found those to be the most comfortable to date, and I feel they are pretty good at noise cancellation.  I've never tried the SE215 so I can't compare there.

post #135 of 2411

who wants to exchange an mkII for a bass edition just to hear the differences?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions