Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Logitech UE900 vs Sennheiser IE80
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Logitech UE900 vs Sennheiser IE80

Poll Results: UE900 vs IE80

 
  • 43% (10)
    Logitech Ultimate Ears 900
  • 56% (13)
    Sennheiser IE80
23 Total Votes  
post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I've spent a long time doing research on the perfect in-ear monitors for me, and it took a while to narrow down my list of ~20 options to these, and I will consider the Westone W4 or the Phonak Audeo PFE232 if I can get a good enough deal on them. For now, I will just consider the UE900s and the Sennheiser IE80.

 

I know this is a repost from my other thread, but I have updated this thread, as the other thread didn’t really have too many impressions, is outdated, and was biased from the start. Now that the UE900s are out, hopefully I can get some more replies :-)

 

It would be nice to hear comparisons between the two, for people who have them, and possibly their impressions after some burn-in. Feedback from owners or people who have auditioned these IEMs would help me very much.

 

Here are some details and factors I will be considering:

 

-The accessories I usually use are the tips, shirt clip, case, and maybe silicon adapters if provided to get a good sound. Cable guides, cleaning tools, airplane attenuators, etc. are certainly nice, but optional. What I’m looking for is how well they work with the IEMs.

-I want these in ears to last as long as possible, forever maybe, as I won’t be changing IEMs for a long time. I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them a lot-from listening to my Sansa Clip+ to playing video games.

-Not a huge deal, just need average isolation (like 3/5 on a scale of 1-5). While it is nice to filter out outside noise such as car engine noise or people talking elsewhere, I do often talk to people with my headphones in my ear, and I would like to hear if a car is coming by when I go outside, so average isolation is good.

–From my experience, I never found microphonics a huge problem when listening to music, but they seem to be a problem on IEMs. From time to time, I will play with my headphone cables, tangle them, wrap them, and untangle them when they get tangled because they’re a mess.

-I will be wearing my headphones for hours of time, and can listen to 200+ songs without removing them. I want my headphones to feel as if it were cushioning my ear or is just simply not there anymore.

-I enjoy listening to classical music, techno and electronic (videogames/movies/YouTube), rap, hip-hop, and pop. I will also be using it to watch videos, play movies, conference, chat on the phone via Skype or smartphone, and when playing video games.

-To me, $300-$400 is quite a large investment. I want every single cent to be worth its price. Also, I don’t want fakes.

-I like euphonic, juicy and lush and sturdy music. I value accuracy, clarity, and pay attention to low sounds. I would like my sound to be balanced, gripped, and brilliant. Punchy bass and treble is important.

-The source of my audio is usually my Sandisk Sansa Clip+. I will plug them into my radio and computer, though, when I do want to use them. I will be purchasing them off Amazon, or places where Amazon Checkout is accepted.

 

Sylaw (Head-Fier) has auditioned the UE900 and owns the IE80s, and prefers the IE80s for my tastes. I am going to send them in to tinyman392 for a review.

 

I am looking forward to hearing any feedback or comparisons. Thanks to all helpful replies I receive!

post #2 of 12

I know they've been going through some hype recently, but you may also want to look at the Heir Audio 4.Ai.  They are the same price as the 900s.  I won't know which is better than which (and how they will compare) until I get my hands on them though.  

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I know they've been going through some hype recently, but you may also want to look at the Heir Audio 4.Ai.  They are the same price as the 900s.  I won't know which is better than which (and how they will compare) until I get my hands on them though.  

 

I thought it was just too much of a hassle to find an audiologist and do all that, and I don't have enough time. Sorry :(

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post

 

I thought it was just too much of a hassle to find an audiologist and do all that, and I don't have enough time. Sorry :(

 

You don't need an audiologist to get a 4.Ai.  It's a universal/generic fit XD  The 4.A is the custom fit model.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

You don't need an audiologist to get a 4.Ai.  It's a universal/generic fit XD  The 4.A is the custom fit model.


Oh, I see. But still, I would rather prefer ordering them off of Amazon, where I have all my funds stored.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post


Oh, I see. But still, I would rather prefer ordering them off of Amazon, where I have all my funds stored.

 

LOL, makes sense XD  Heir Audio should put themselves up on Amazon XD

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

LOL, makes sense XD  Heir Audio should put themselves up on Amazon XD

 

I have contacted Logitech UE, who have replied by saying it is a possibility. (On regards to why UE900s are not on Amazon)

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post

 

I have contacted Logitech UE, who have replied by saying it is a possibility. (On regards to why UE900s are not on Amazon)

 

It'll find its way up there.  UE has many distributors XD  

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

Bump?

post #10 of 12

The IE80 would have a more punchy bass, and is adjustable. I'd say for value wise the UE900 wins by a country mile.

post #11 of 12

I did get to do a comparison with the IE80s and UE 900s a little while ago.  This was written on October 18, 2012.  Please note that it's been about 3 weeks, so I honestly don't remember much about the IE80 and only had a week with them.  Take it for what it is.  I, myself, do not believe I had enough time to give these as thorough of an evaluation as I should have (but I was busy at the time with a 1 week time limit with the IE80).  I do have other disclaimers as well, so do read them.

 

Disclaimer: I do have a few words to say before I begin.  I do not feel the most confident with the seal I’m getting with the IE80.  I was expecting a tad bit more quantity to the lows (I was actually expecting them to exceed the PFEs).  With that said, please take everything with a grain of salt.  

I would tip roll and experiment some more, but I simply just don’t have the time.  Unfortunately, for me, it’s midterm time (2 down, 1 to go; the hardest 1 to go).  I also have a few reviews to write as well (I got other products at the same time these came in; I wasn’t expecting that).  With all that said, please do take this with a grain of salt.

Senn IE80 Bass nob

Increasing the IE80 bass nob really only affects the lower lows than anything else.  It creates a bump in the low-to-sub bass.  Increases impact and texturing at the cost of punch.

UE900

With the nob down, the IE80 represents a UE900 with stronger treble and slightly better texturing.  Midrange detailing is a wash though.  The IE80s do have a few flaws though.

Bass: The IE80 bass tends to be able to dig deeper than the UE900, not just in the perceived sense either.  The texturing, is increased a little better as well since it’s more fluid over the 900s.  The impact with the 80s also seems a little stronger over the 900s, however, the 900s have better overall linearity.  They also have a slightly tighter punch (the IE80 is still tight though).  It may be slight improvements, but the IE80 takes it by a hair.  

Increasing the bass nob puts the IE80 further ahead of the UE900 in terms of quantity, but sacrifices a little more punch. Overall, the increase is positive though.

Mids: The IE80 tends to do slightly better in the higher octaves.  This results in stronger clarity and sweetness to every voice.  Detailing is just about on par with the UE900.  However, the UE900 does vocal lushness better than the IE80 while maintaining good clarity.  Both have equal dynamics, but focus on different areas.  Although they are technically at the same level, I do prefer the IE80 for vocals.  However, it’s a wash at the end of the day.

Highs: The IE80s have a slight bit of sibilance to them that makes them slightly unfavorable over the UE900.  The 80s do show much more energy in the high end over the 900s, but with the cost.  The detailing is about on par with the 900s, however, separation is slightly better done on the 900s.  Snare snaps are also a little better with the 900s overall.  For the high end, I would take the 900 over the IE80 any day.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I did get to do a comparison with the IE80s and UE 900s a little while ago.  This was written on October 18, 2012.  Please note that it's been about 3 weeks, so I honestly don't remember much about the IE80 and only had a week with them.  Take it for what it is.  I, myself, do not believe I had enough time to give these as thorough of an evaluation as I should have (but I was busy at the time with a 1 week time limit with the IE80).  I do have other disclaimers as well, so do read them.

 

Disclaimer: I do have a few words to say before I begin.  I do not feel the most confident with the seal I’m getting with the IE80.  I was expecting a tad bit more quantity to the lows (I was actually expecting them to exceed the PFEs).  With that said, please take everything with a grain of salt.  

I would tip roll and experiment some more, but I simply just don’t have the time.  Unfortunately, for me, it’s midterm time (2 down, 1 to go; the hardest 1 to go).  I also have a few reviews to write as well (I got other products at the same time these came in; I wasn’t expecting that).  With all that said, please do take this with a grain of salt.

Senn IE80 Bass nob

Increasing the IE80 bass nob really only affects the lower lows than anything else.  It creates a bump in the low-to-sub bass.  Increases impact and texturing at the cost of punch.

UE900

With the nob down, the IE80 represents a UE900 with stronger treble and slightly better texturing.  Midrange detailing is a wash though.  The IE80s do have a few flaws though.

Bass: The IE80 bass tends to be able to dig deeper than the UE900, not just in the perceived sense either.  The texturing, is increased a little better as well since it’s more fluid over the 900s.  The impact with the 80s also seems a little stronger over the 900s, however, the 900s have better overall linearity.  They also have a slightly tighter punch (the IE80 is still tight though).  It may be slight improvements, but the IE80 takes it by a hair.  

Increasing the bass nob puts the IE80 further ahead of the UE900 in terms of quantity, but sacrifices a little more punch. Overall, the increase is positive though.

Mids: The IE80 tends to do slightly better in the higher octaves.  This results in stronger clarity and sweetness to every voice.  Detailing is just about on par with the UE900.  However, the UE900 does vocal lushness better than the IE80 while maintaining good clarity.  Both have equal dynamics, but focus on different areas.  Although they are technically at the same level, I do prefer the IE80 for vocals.  However, it’s a wash at the end of the day.

Highs: The IE80s have a slight bit of sibilance to them that makes them slightly unfavorable over the UE900.  The 80s do show much more energy in the high end over the 900s, but with the cost.  The detailing is about on par with the 900s, however, separation is slightly better done on the 900s.  Snare snaps are also a little better with the 900s overall.  For the high end, I would take the 900 over the IE80 any day.

im soo late to the party.. too bad :p So as to ur review IE80's and UE900 detail levels are same isn't it? but They have emphasized the spectrum in different areas... ? as for my ear the UE900 felt a bit mushy on highs and lows... I think IE80 has better clarity.... 


Edited by Sylaw - 4/14/13 at 1:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Logitech UE900 vs Sennheiser IE80