Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › VA / MD / DC meet on Saturday, December 15, 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VA / MD / DC meet on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - Page 8

post #106 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexosborn View Post

Will do then. I'm just going to be bringing the receiver though, no interconnects. I simply don't have any laying around. So if you'd like to hear it please bring a source and cables. 

thanks. I have the HE adapter so I will bring that. 

 

@wje

if you have direct speaker hook ups please do bring them. i would love to hear the difference (if any) between direct feed and through the adapter. 

 

 

Anyway, this is shaping up to be an awesome day! So many things I am interested in in one place all at once!!  Thanks for putting it together! 

post #107 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

 

@wje
if you have direct speaker hook ups please do bring them. i would love to hear the difference (if any) between direct feed and through the adapter. 

Will do. I've heard some people comment on how the "HE" adapter did change the sound a bit. You can run HifiMAN headphones off of the speaker taps quite easily. It would take a lot of juice to kill the drivers and I don't think most people would get anywhere close to doing that.
post #108 of 181
Good to know. Thanks WJE
post #109 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I have the K167. The K267 is only trickling out at the moment.

I want to see how they are in terms of audio clarity compared to my Q701s. If I can sell my 701's and get he 167 for the same price, and if they are as good as people says they are then I think I need an upgrade;)
post #110 of 181

Hey guys, I just got my hands on a Sansui AU 7900. Shall I bring that as well? 

 

I'm cleaning both receivers up before the meet. If you like what you hear, I am open to hearing offers.


Edited by mralexosborn - 12/12/12 at 8:40pm
post #111 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexosborn View Post

Hey guys, I just got my hands on a Sansui AU 7900. Shall I bring that as well? 

 

I'm cleaning both receivers up before the meet. If you like what you hear, I am open to hearing offers.

I would love to hear the Sansui as well. I have been reading vintage amp/receiver thread, which has peaked my interest in these things. If it would not be too much trouble I would love hear it. Thanks.

post #112 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post


I want to see how they are in terms of audio clarity compared to my Q701s. If I can sell my 701's and get he 167 for the same price, and if they are as good as people says they are then I think I need an upgrade;)

 

Coming from a Grado past, I abandoned Grado due to a desire for more bass.  Yet, I missed some of the detail that the Magnum drivers / Grado headphones would provide. The K167 brings in the detail - in a clear manner, and combines it with some smacking good bass for a nice mix.  I haven't heard the Q701 from AKG, but have heard the K701, which apparently is detailed, but has less bass.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

I would love to hear the Sansui as well. I have been reading vintage amp/receiver thread, which has peaked my interest in these things. If it would not be too much trouble I would love hear it. Thanks.

 

I had the "881" which was their top-of-the-line receiver model from the mid-1970s.  The receiver performed in an  outstanding manner with the headphone jack.  When I moved over to try speaker taps for use with my ortho headphones, the channels were very noisy and crackly when compared to using just a SET / TRS connector via the headphone jack.  I suspect that the resistors installed in-line for the path to the headphone jack, cut down on the noise.  Either that, or the caps might have been heading south due to age.  Nevertheless, it was a very good sounding piece of gear. Others might like Pioneer, or even Marantz, but my ears loved the Sansui house sound which worked great with headphones.

 

About 7 years ago, I had 3 fine Sansui receivers that I had cleaned up well, and even applied new veneer on one of them.  Sadly, one of the shipping companies completely destroyed one of the receivers. Planning a move, I ended up selling off all three of them at the time.

 

 

700

post #113 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 I haven't heard the Q701 from AKG, but have heard the K701, which apparently is detailed, but has less bass.

I guess you will hear them in a day and a few hours k701smile.gif

On Another note, (and I hate to be asking so many questions) does anyone have the new schiit Mangi and Modi dac+amp that they would like to bring? I am trying to find something to replace my essence stx with for around 200 bucks that will provide a clear upgrade.
post #114 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
I had the "881" which was their top-of-the-line receiver model from the mid-1970s.  The receiver performed in an  outstanding manner with the headphone jack.  When I moved over to try speaker taps for use with my ortho headphones, the channels were very noisy and crackly when compared to using just a SET / TRS connector via the headphone jack.  I suspect that the resistors installed in-line for the path to the headphone jack, cut down on the noise.  Either that, or the caps might have been heading south due to age.  Nevertheless, it was a very good sounding piece of gear. Others might like Pioneer, or even Marantz, but my ears loved the Sansui house sound which worked great with headphones.

 

About 7 years ago, I had 3 fine Sansui receivers that I had cleaned up well, and even applied new veneer on one of them.  Sadly, one of the shipping companies completely destroyed one of the receivers. Planning a move, I ended up selling off all three of them at the time.

 

 

700

sorry to get off topic a bit here, but what is the ballpark price for cleaning up/referbing one those. 

BTW, love the picks!

post #115 of 181
I ordered both of the within minutes of Jason's announcement...but alas, they haven't even shipped yet. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post


...On Another note, (and I hate to be asking so many questions) does anyone have the new schiit Mangi and Modi dac+amp that they would like to bring? I am trying to find something to replace my essence stx with for around 200 bucks that will provide a clear upgrade.
post #116 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

I ordered both of the within minutes of Jason's announcement...but alas, they haven't even shipped yet. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post


...On Another note, (and I hate to be asking so many questions) does anyone have the new schiit Mangi and Modi dac+amp that they would like to bring? I am trying to find something to replace my essence stx with for around 200 bucks that will provide a clear upgrade.

My Mangi has shipped, *might* be here today, but I didn't get the Modi. If it shows up I'll bring it.

post #117 of 181

so what exactly are the times of this meeting?

post #118 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriggs View Post

so what exactly are the times of this meeting?

The very first post has the times.

post #119 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

sorry to get off topic a bit here, but what is the ballpark price for cleaning up/referbing one those.

BTW, love the picks!

 

At the time, I did the work myself.  I purchased some new/old stock dial bulbs from a guy in Michigan selling the parts.  However, a great place in Northern Virginia who will do such work is Music Technology - just off Braddock Road @ Port Royal Rd. in Springfield.  Apparently, Music Technology is operated by a few guys who used to work for Conrad Johnson - so, if you go into their site, they have a number of pieces of the champagne colored CJ gear being worked on.  I did meet up with a guy who used them to go over a vintage Marantz receiver for him.  The scoped and checked everything out and ended up replacing a few caps and possibly a few dial lamps.  His price for the work was in the $190.00 range.  But, if more work were required, the costs could go higher.  Being how precise the "old school" tuners are in the receivers, I've stepped away from touching them.  It's too easy to knock the tuner mechanisms out of whack when getting to the main / system board or any of the daughter boards to do any work.

 

Here's the site: http://www.musictechnology.com/contact.html

post #120 of 181

I'll be there tomorrow, but probably a little late, as i'd like to get some sleep. 

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › VA / MD / DC meet on Saturday, December 15, 2012