Take a look at the "unanswered questions" - many of them were technical in nature, and most of those were from members here or there.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
As part of the OPPO PM3 loaner program I had a chance to evaluate the PM3's for a few days. Overall, I was very impressed with the packaging, build quality and finish. The brushed aluminum is...
COMPANY: Sennheiser MODEL: HD598 COST: $299 CAD - $250 USD – Note: often on sale for much less TYPE: Open, Dynamic, Over-Ear DRIVER SIZE: 40mm neodynium FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 12 Hz – 38.5...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time! - Page 5post #61 of 6310/15/12 at 11:18ampost #62 of 6310/15/12 at 1:31pm
Actually, I'd read those questions before posting here and a number of them illustrate my point (comparative shoppers' concerns rather than questions pertaining specifically to the headphones which Grell helped to create):Quote:If I can ask you about a question on one of your current IEMs, the IE80s, is that (if you have compared these headphones before) how do they stack up to the Logitech UE900, which released a few days ago, and the Westone 4?Quote:
Are you planning any high-end designs with a mostly-metal build?
One complaint I hear about the HD800s is that it doesn't have the "This will obviously last 30+ years" feel that the Beyerdynamic DT and T models have, with their thick aluminum parts.
Quote:What are some of your favorite non-Senn. cans? I own the 650s but love my Grados and Ultrasones. Also, are you involved in the head-fi community?
Quote:So what you think about the stax 009 and how will it affect the hd 800 (being the hd 800 was considered the best)
Edited by scrypt - 10/15/12 at 1:37pmpost #63 of 6310/15/12 at 1:55pm
Okay... I found a couple that discuss his reasons for doing things one way over another in past designs, as well as his overall engineering outlook and how it shapes the design of Sennheiser headphones.
(There are also quite a few questions about future Senn headphones, but I suppose we already know he wanted to dodge those questions from his terse answers about stats/orthos.)
Admittedly a couple of these quotes sound a bit accusatory, but all the better for him to clear things up.
Your recent flagships (HD700 and HD800) have been noticeably brighter (particularly the 6K Peak) than your previous flagships (HD600 and HD650). Was this done with a certain goal or target demographic in mind or is it a byproduct of the design? I am particularly interested where your new electrostat will fall in line with regards to FR balance...
...From the initial to the final product, I'd imagine that there are revisions and tunings that goes into these headphones or IEMs and have them sound with what you have in mind. What are those procedures? Is it a lot of listening and tuning them subjectively or are there objective methods to tuning headphones as well?
...Also - there is a popular mod floating around to tame the treble on the HD800 called the Anaxilus mod. Have you heard of it and is there a reason you didn't utilize a similar damping scheme to minimize reflections and reducing the "bite" of the treble peak?
...On some headphone sites there's a running battle between users who look at measurements to determine a good headphone and those who count on their listening experience. How do you as designers and manufacturers weight the objective and subjective aspects?
...How useful are frequency response charts of headphones when dealing with design that is meant for the ear and is this an accurate representation of the performance?
...Why was the HD700 tuned with such uneven treble frequency response? The HD800 is a bright headphone, but has a very even frequency response throughout the spectrum. Along the same lines, the HD600 and 650 are both very even, smooth, headphones with a slightly darker signature.
With the HD700, though, there is elevated mid-bass and a very uneven, "peaky" frequency response in the upper mids leading into the treble region. Was this done to make a more "fun" sound signature?
What were your FR objectives when designing the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series? Free-Field, Diffuse-Field, Independent of Direction?
If the FR objectives where the same, based on your measurements, did you improved your tonal goals with the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series?
I would imagine that the larger driver of the HD800, with all it's advantages, could have posed more challenges in terms of dampening.
...How does Sennheiser test their headphones for comfort, being that there are so many ear and head shapes out there?
Edited by Radio_head - 10/15/12 at 1:56pm
- Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time!
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 5 minutes ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 6 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 6 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 9 minutes ago
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 9 minutes ago
- › DC area mini-meet - Sunday, June 5, 1-5 p.m. 11 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 14 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...