Take a look at the "unanswered questions" - many of them were technical in nature, and most of those were from members here or there.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 2/17/15 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Many thanks to Brooko for arranging this tour unit Pros: External Playlists: Pretty much my number one priority after sound, this took some fiddling to get working from my Mac/iTunes but I...
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time! - Page 5post #61 of 6310/15/12 at 11:18am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #62 of 6310/15/12 at 1:31pm
Actually, I'd read those questions before posting here and a number of them illustrate my point (comparative shoppers' concerns rather than questions pertaining specifically to the headphones which Grell helped to create):Quote:If I can ask you about a question on one of your current IEMs, the IE80s, is that (if you have compared these headphones before) how do they stack up to the Logitech UE900, which released a few days ago, and the Westone 4?Quote:
Are you planning any high-end designs with a mostly-metal build?
One complaint I hear about the HD800s is that it doesn't have the "This will obviously last 30+ years" feel that the Beyerdynamic DT and T models have, with their thick aluminum parts.
Quote:What are some of your favorite non-Senn. cans? I own the 650s but love my Grados and Ultrasones. Also, are you involved in the head-fi community?
Quote:So what you think about the stax 009 and how will it affect the hd 800 (being the hd 800 was considered the best)
Edited by scrypt - 10/15/12 at 1:37pmpost #63 of 6310/15/12 at 1:55pm
Okay... I found a couple that discuss his reasons for doing things one way over another in past designs, as well as his overall engineering outlook and how it shapes the design of Sennheiser headphones.
(There are also quite a few questions about future Senn headphones, but I suppose we already know he wanted to dodge those questions from his terse answers about stats/orthos.)
Admittedly a couple of these quotes sound a bit accusatory, but all the better for him to clear things up.
Your recent flagships (HD700 and HD800) have been noticeably brighter (particularly the 6K Peak) than your previous flagships (HD600 and HD650). Was this done with a certain goal or target demographic in mind or is it a byproduct of the design? I am particularly interested where your new electrostat will fall in line with regards to FR balance...
...From the initial to the final product, I'd imagine that there are revisions and tunings that goes into these headphones or IEMs and have them sound with what you have in mind. What are those procedures? Is it a lot of listening and tuning them subjectively or are there objective methods to tuning headphones as well?
...Also - there is a popular mod floating around to tame the treble on the HD800 called the Anaxilus mod. Have you heard of it and is there a reason you didn't utilize a similar damping scheme to minimize reflections and reducing the "bite" of the treble peak?
...On some headphone sites there's a running battle between users who look at measurements to determine a good headphone and those who count on their listening experience. How do you as designers and manufacturers weight the objective and subjective aspects?
...How useful are frequency response charts of headphones when dealing with design that is meant for the ear and is this an accurate representation of the performance?
...Why was the HD700 tuned with such uneven treble frequency response? The HD800 is a bright headphone, but has a very even frequency response throughout the spectrum. Along the same lines, the HD600 and 650 are both very even, smooth, headphones with a slightly darker signature.
With the HD700, though, there is elevated mid-bass and a very uneven, "peaky" frequency response in the upper mids leading into the treble region. Was this done to make a more "fun" sound signature?
What were your FR objectives when designing the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series? Free-Field, Diffuse-Field, Independent of Direction?
If the FR objectives where the same, based on your measurements, did you improved your tonal goals with the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series?
I would imagine that the larger driver of the HD800, with all it's advantages, could have posed more challenges in terms of dampening.
...How does Sennheiser test their headphones for comfort, being that there are so many ear and head shapes out there?
Edited by Radio_head - 10/15/12 at 1:56pm
- Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Ghost in the MP3 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Sound Blaster ZXR Op-Amp replacement for $193 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › SennGrado Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › HiFimediy - Sabre U2 USB DAC noise problems 3 minutes ago
- › AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3