Take a look at the "unanswered questions" - many of them were technical in nature, and most of those were from members here or there.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM Last post on 12/23/13 at 5:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH-W1000x Modded Re-cabled | Purrin's Mod | L3000 Pads Last post on 12/3/13 at 3:11pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Last post on 8/26/14 at 3:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time! - Page 5post #61 of 6310/15/12 at 11:18am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #62 of 6310/15/12 at 1:31pm
Actually, I'd read those questions before posting here and a number of them illustrate my point (comparative shoppers' concerns rather than questions pertaining specifically to the headphones which Grell helped to create):Quote:If I can ask you about a question on one of your current IEMs, the IE80s, is that (if you have compared these headphones before) how do they stack up to the Logitech UE900, which released a few days ago, and the Westone 4?Quote:
Are you planning any high-end designs with a mostly-metal build?
One complaint I hear about the HD800s is that it doesn't have the "This will obviously last 30+ years" feel that the Beyerdynamic DT and T models have, with their thick aluminum parts.
Quote:What are some of your favorite non-Senn. cans? I own the 650s but love my Grados and Ultrasones. Also, are you involved in the head-fi community?
Quote:So what you think about the stax 009 and how will it affect the hd 800 (being the hd 800 was considered the best)
Edited by scrypt - 10/15/12 at 1:37pmpost #63 of 6310/15/12 at 1:55pm
Okay... I found a couple that discuss his reasons for doing things one way over another in past designs, as well as his overall engineering outlook and how it shapes the design of Sennheiser headphones.
(There are also quite a few questions about future Senn headphones, but I suppose we already know he wanted to dodge those questions from his terse answers about stats/orthos.)
Admittedly a couple of these quotes sound a bit accusatory, but all the better for him to clear things up.
Your recent flagships (HD700 and HD800) have been noticeably brighter (particularly the 6K Peak) than your previous flagships (HD600 and HD650). Was this done with a certain goal or target demographic in mind or is it a byproduct of the design? I am particularly interested where your new electrostat will fall in line with regards to FR balance...
...From the initial to the final product, I'd imagine that there are revisions and tunings that goes into these headphones or IEMs and have them sound with what you have in mind. What are those procedures? Is it a lot of listening and tuning them subjectively or are there objective methods to tuning headphones as well?
...Also - there is a popular mod floating around to tame the treble on the HD800 called the Anaxilus mod. Have you heard of it and is there a reason you didn't utilize a similar damping scheme to minimize reflections and reducing the "bite" of the treble peak?
...On some headphone sites there's a running battle between users who look at measurements to determine a good headphone and those who count on their listening experience. How do you as designers and manufacturers weight the objective and subjective aspects?
...How useful are frequency response charts of headphones when dealing with design that is meant for the ear and is this an accurate representation of the performance?
...Why was the HD700 tuned with such uneven treble frequency response? The HD800 is a bright headphone, but has a very even frequency response throughout the spectrum. Along the same lines, the HD600 and 650 are both very even, smooth, headphones with a slightly darker signature.
With the HD700, though, there is elevated mid-bass and a very uneven, "peaky" frequency response in the upper mids leading into the treble region. Was this done to make a more "fun" sound signature?
What were your FR objectives when designing the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series? Free-Field, Diffuse-Field, Independent of Direction?
If the FR objectives where the same, based on your measurements, did you improved your tonal goals with the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series?
I would imagine that the larger driver of the HD800, with all it's advantages, could have posed more challenges in terms of dampening.
...How does Sennheiser test their headphones for comfort, being that there are so many ear and head shapes out there?
Edited by Radio_head - 10/15/12 at 1:56pm
- Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Cheap Kitchens London 36 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 1 minute ago
- › [Preview] FiiO E18 Kunlun – Surprise, Surprise. 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80, Brand new, I'll beat any price. 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Crystal Picolino Cable for Shure IEMs by Effect Audio 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)