Take a look at the "unanswered questions" - many of them were technical in nature, and most of those were from members here or there.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time! - Page 5post #61 of 6310/15/12 at 11:18am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #62 of 6310/15/12 at 1:31pm
Actually, I'd read those questions before posting here and a number of them illustrate my point (comparative shoppers' concerns rather than questions pertaining specifically to the headphones which Grell helped to create):Quote:If I can ask you about a question on one of your current IEMs, the IE80s, is that (if you have compared these headphones before) how do they stack up to the Logitech UE900, which released a few days ago, and the Westone 4?Quote:
Are you planning any high-end designs with a mostly-metal build?
One complaint I hear about the HD800s is that it doesn't have the "This will obviously last 30+ years" feel that the Beyerdynamic DT and T models have, with their thick aluminum parts.
Quote:What are some of your favorite non-Senn. cans? I own the 650s but love my Grados and Ultrasones. Also, are you involved in the head-fi community?
Quote:So what you think about the stax 009 and how will it affect the hd 800 (being the hd 800 was considered the best)
Edited by scrypt - 10/15/12 at 1:37pmpost #63 of 6310/15/12 at 1:55pm
Okay... I found a couple that discuss his reasons for doing things one way over another in past designs, as well as his overall engineering outlook and how it shapes the design of Sennheiser headphones.
(There are also quite a few questions about future Senn headphones, but I suppose we already know he wanted to dodge those questions from his terse answers about stats/orthos.)
Admittedly a couple of these quotes sound a bit accusatory, but all the better for him to clear things up.
Your recent flagships (HD700 and HD800) have been noticeably brighter (particularly the 6K Peak) than your previous flagships (HD600 and HD650). Was this done with a certain goal or target demographic in mind or is it a byproduct of the design? I am particularly interested where your new electrostat will fall in line with regards to FR balance...
...From the initial to the final product, I'd imagine that there are revisions and tunings that goes into these headphones or IEMs and have them sound with what you have in mind. What are those procedures? Is it a lot of listening and tuning them subjectively or are there objective methods to tuning headphones as well?
...Also - there is a popular mod floating around to tame the treble on the HD800 called the Anaxilus mod. Have you heard of it and is there a reason you didn't utilize a similar damping scheme to minimize reflections and reducing the "bite" of the treble peak?
...On some headphone sites there's a running battle between users who look at measurements to determine a good headphone and those who count on their listening experience. How do you as designers and manufacturers weight the objective and subjective aspects?
...How useful are frequency response charts of headphones when dealing with design that is meant for the ear and is this an accurate representation of the performance?
...Why was the HD700 tuned with such uneven treble frequency response? The HD800 is a bright headphone, but has a very even frequency response throughout the spectrum. Along the same lines, the HD600 and 650 are both very even, smooth, headphones with a slightly darker signature.
With the HD700, though, there is elevated mid-bass and a very uneven, "peaky" frequency response in the upper mids leading into the treble region. Was this done to make a more "fun" sound signature?
What were your FR objectives when designing the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series? Free-Field, Diffuse-Field, Independent of Direction?
If the FR objectives where the same, based on your measurements, did you improved your tonal goals with the HD800 vs the HD6x0 series?
I would imagine that the larger driver of the HD800, with all it's advantages, could have posed more challenges in terms of dampening.
...How does Sennheiser test their headphones for comfort, being that there are so many ear and head shapes out there?
Edited by Radio_head - 10/15/12 at 1:56pm
- Ask one of the world's top headphone engineers whatever you want at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 5 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 3 minutes ago
- › Alternative Rock (Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie... 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 5 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...