Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Dead & Gone (Bands after a member's death)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dead & Gone (Bands after a member's death)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

How do people feel about this subject? While I realize it's a bit of a sore subject I realized tonight that 2 of my favorite songs by The Who were done after Keith Moon died. 

 

You Better Bet, and Eminence Front. Both fantastic songs, IMO. 

post #2 of 13

Edit:

 

I re-read your post this morning and changed my answer.

 

How about The Rolling Stones after Brian Jones (who had already been kicked out of the band) died in 1969? They only got stronger.

 

Or Neil Young and Crazy Horse after Danny Whitten's death in 1972...

 

The Allman Brothers after Duane Allman's death in 1971...

 

And of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd for continuing after the plane crash, although things were never the same. I admire their courage.


Edited by StratocasterMan - 10/5/12 at 7:57am
post #3 of 13

It doesn't really bother me when a bassist, drummer, etc. dies. I can't stand when the lead singer dies and the band tries to carry on as the original group. IMO Lynyrd Skynyrd is not Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zandt.  Same goes for Alice in Chains.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Really? Bonham and Moon's deaths pretty much ended both of those bands. Drummers and lead singers are the tough ones to come back from, if they're good. 

 

The Doors is a perfect example. No more Morrison no more Doors.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

It doesn't really bother me when a bassist, drummer, etc. dies. I can't stand when the lead singer dies and the band tries to carry on as the original group. IMO Lynyrd Skynyrd is not Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zandt.  Same goes for Alice in Chains.

post #5 of 13

Grateful Dead after Jerry died.

 

post #6 of 13

Queen - when Freddie Mercury died so did the band.

Chicago - when Terry Kath passed away, the band is not the same.

Ramones - Without Joey no more band.

AC/DC - When Bon Scott died the band almost disbanded.

INXS - not the same without Michael Hutchence.

Bee Gees - Died when Maurice Gibb died.


Edited by wuwhere - 10/5/12 at 4:16pm
post #7 of 13

Can't believe it hasn't been said, but:

 

Led Zeppelin breaking up after the death of the great John Bonham!

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

I said it earlier in the thread, dork. tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Can't believe it hasn't been said, but:

 

Led Zeppelin breaking up after the death of the great John Bonham!

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I said it earlier in the thread, dork. tongue.gif

 

Bonham was so legendary that he needed to be mentioned at least twice. 

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

I guess I can get behind that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Bonham was so legendary that he needed to be mentioned at least twice. 

post #11 of 13


The fun thing about John Bonham is that every member of Led Zeppelin absolutely hated that guy.

 

They hated him! etysmile.gif

post #12 of 13

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post

 

Okay. She had the voice of an angel.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Dead & Gone (Bands after a member's death)