Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread - Page 73

post #1081 of 1099
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Once upon a time this was my collection:



Seems kinda crazy now!!!!

 

I see nothing crazy there Rob. :p (but consider it's coming from me). Glad you're sticking around...you're definitely one of the good guys around here. :smile:

post #1082 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I see nothing crazy there Rob. tongue.gif  (but consider it's coming from me). Glad you're sticking around...you're definitely one of the good guys around here. smile.gif

Thanks Peter, same to you bud beerchug.gif
post #1083 of 1099

Fess up, Rob, you've got sources for reference cans, don't you?  :P

post #1084 of 1099
It does seem that I'm going to have a few loaners to use for reviews, yes biggrin.gif
post #1085 of 1099
Well Skylab, I kind of saw it coming. I've noticed over the past year or so you have been off loading a lot of headphone gear. Once I saw you sold the he6 and later the leben both of which I know you loved(especially the leben) I could see what direction you were going in. I totally get it though. After acquiring both my heavily modded acoustats and especially the quad esl 57 that I restored, I just don't listen to cans much myself anymore. For the first time in several years I'm down to only two cans. I spend at least 80% of my time listening to speakers. I'm dead set on keeping both my he6 and w3000 and sometimes I find myself listening to cans just to remind myself at how good they both are. But I don't get nearly the enjoyment I get from listening to either pairs of my esl speaker rigs. Heck I even have my Mac 6200 forsale since I use it exclusively as a headphone amp.
Edited by moodyrn - 8/24/14 at 11:06pm
post #1086 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Well Skylab, I kind of saw it coming. I've noticed over the past year or so you have been off loading a lot of headphone gear. Once I saw you sold the he6 and later the leben both of which I know you loved(especially the leben) I could see what direction you were going in. I totally get it though. After acquiring both my heavily modded acoustats and especially the quad esl 57 that I restored, I just don't listen to cans much myself anymore. For the first time in several years I'm down to only two cans. I spend at least 80% of my time listening to speakers. I'm dead set on keeping both my he6 and w3000 and sometimes I find myself listening to cans just to remind myself at how good they both are. But I don't get nearly the enjoyment I get from listening to either pairs of my esl speaker rigs. Heck I even have my Mac 6200 forsale since I use it exclusively as a headphone amp.

Yeah I figured you would understand biggrin.gif

As would many regular readers of the Vintage thread there. I'm also down to probably 10-20% headphone, and when I'm listening to headphones it's almost always the LCD-3 I reach for. I love the W3000ANV and will miss them, but I also am a huge believer in not having stuff around that doesn't get used. My music collection takes up so much space that unused gear doesn't get to stick around...
post #1087 of 1099
wish i could be that pragmatic. find it hard to let go of gear even when it's not being used. the w3000anv gets little use. think the reason i hold onto it is for the beauty of the cups and it's limited edition status tbh.
post #1088 of 1099

If someone want buy a W3000ANV I'm selling mine in the sale thread!

 

:gs1000smile: 

post #1089 of 1099

Just got my first couple of hairline scratches that i can see with my glasses and a flashlight. Had to happen, not me though. My wife moved them from where they were hanging for protection and but them in a cushioned bag. She didn't have a clue though and stuffed the cord in with them, i think it gave them the scratches. I cringed and gave her a bit of grief, she hasn't a clue…..thought i was being so good and protective, they were mint. Sheeesh! Painful.

post #1090 of 1099
commiserations man. your poor missus. the first scratch on a new car is the worst. this probably feels similar.
post #1091 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

it's a mid-centric can with an n shaped frequency response. it won't sound like a denon, hd800 or t1.
When I put AlphaPads on the w3000anv for the first time I was shocked at how balanced it sounded..
The main reason was originally for a better seal but it had a simply great impression..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo View Post

Hah, I remember posting in that thread that I agreed with you on the L3000 impressions you have.  I'd love an L3000 for rock music, the kind of presentation that I enjoy.  The LFF Enigmas I own are similarly fun rock headphones, but loses a bit of the magical mids I enjoy from AT tuning.  
You should look into the zmf vibro which uses wood to its advantage in the mids..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show View Post







So much pretty...
OMG soooooo beautiful! !
Now Im missing mine! Lol
Edited by Maxx134 - 9/9/14 at 7:52am
post #1092 of 1099
oppo recognises that changing ear pads can make a significant difference to a can's sound signature
post #1093 of 1099

I am thinking about trying the mod, but IIRC, alpha pads are not round as the W3000 is.  Does it look bad with alpha pads?  Could someone please post a picture of the W3000 with alpha pads?  

 

Thanks!

post #1094 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

Just got my first couple of hairline scratches that i can see with my glasses and a flashlight. Had to happen, not me though. My wife moved them from where they were hanging for protection and but them in a cushioned bag. She didn't have a clue though and stuffed the cord in with them, i think it gave them the scratches. I cringed and gave her a bit of grief, she hasn't a clue…..thought i was being so good and protective, they were mint. Sheeesh! Painful.

Damn. It sounds like she had the best intentions though.

And if you keep that flashlight away from them, they will sound just as good as ever.
post #1095 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfredo View Post

I am thinking about trying the mod, but IIRC, alpha pads are not round as the W3000 is.  Does it look bad with alpha pads?  Could someone please post a picture of the W3000 with alpha pads?  

Thanks!

it looks bad imo. pretty sure max134 posted pics earlier in this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread