Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audio Technica W3000ANV Appreciation Thread - Page 28

post #406 of 964

Was W3000ANV graph posted before?

 

Looks like roller coaster, this is what Purrin says

 

Quote:
The Audio Technica woodies are very hard to measure because of their design. The driver baffle is semi-open to allow a delayed back wave to augment the forward wave. This probably accounts for their romantic or weird sound depending upon how you hear it. As always, no smoothing is applied. What I will do is investigate further by taking an open or small baffle measurement of just the driver itself.
post #407 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

 

Really, look well padded on the pictures. frown.gif

 

Fit is perfect, but they change AD2K sweet sound signature to something colder and harder with some unpleasant bite in treble.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/353691/audio-technica-ath-ad2000-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/735#post_9234063

 

 

Not for me.  I like them better this way..  beats the stock pads any day IMO..

post #408 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogeo333 View Post

if anyone have tried other earpads on the W3000ANV I'm all ears. I feel the stock one is not paddled enough also. thus I cant lisren to them over longer than 2 hours.

 

I could pull the L3000 leather pads off of my W1000X and install them on my W3000ANV to see how they feel.  The L3000 pads are a bit softer than the pads on the W3000ANV.  

 

Note that I find the stock pads plenty comfortable so I was never curious enough in the past to bother swapping.  The stock W1000X pleather pads were pretty uncomfortable though.


Edited by daigo - 3/13/13 at 1:30pm
post #409 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Not for me.  I like them better this way..  beats the stock pads any day IMO..


That surprise me actually unless you didn't give them a proper, longer listen as I didn't spot it right after swap either, was too happy about the increased comfort, on day two something started bothering me and when I went back to stock pads I realized how badly the timbre was affected. But I can see how some may like it better, it just didn't sound like AD2K that I knew anymore.

post #410 of 964
I thought the stock pads on the W3k and AD2k were comfy... but that's probably me :P
post #411 of 964

did anyone try any velour pads on w3000?

i found that adding some wool under the pads made them more to my tasing (less sibilant on vocals) i guess that a set of velour pads could be a nice thing

post #412 of 964
I haven't done that yet. Might put some SD2k pads on and see what it is like.
post #413 of 964

I'm working my way through the thread but I have a question/s I'd like some help with.

 

I currently am really liking the sound of my HD-650's with my Burson HA-160DS. I like the Burson a lot and want to keep it. Anyone using this combo (HA-160/HA-160D/HA-160DS etc) and the W3000ANV's?

 

How do these phones go with metal/rock/indy/stuff? I need a phone that does everything pretty well as I have extremely varied tastes in music. I've head they have solid but not boomy bass and neutral/sparkling treble without being fatiguing or over analytical which suits me fine. However I'm worried about the mids - are the mids unnaturally accentuated? For reference I absolutely hated how the W5000's sounded, to me their mids were truly horrible/way too accentuated for what I listened to.

 

Phones I like - HD-650's/LCD-2/LCD-3 (although the LCD's were a little lacking in detail for me). Phones I like but think can be a little harsh/fatiguing - HD800/Q701/K701. I don't like any Beyers (too choked/tight), the D7000's were ok from memory but a bit bass heavy. I haven't tried the Fostex TH-900's.

 

I've not heard many closed phones but I really need some as I share the space in which I listen to them. I like an overall neutral/accurate sound without any unnatural colouration or over-emphasis on any particular frequency, I like detail so long as it's not too clinical. I choose all my gear to sound optimal without EQ, I'm a bit of a purist in that way. Will the W3000ANV fit the bill? I can't audition them before purchase unfortunately hence all the questions.


Edited by phonyx - 3/22/13 at 5:22am
post #414 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonyx View Post

I'm working my way through the thread but I have a question/s I'd like some help with.

 

I currently am really liking the sound of my HD-650's with my Burson HA-160DS. I like the Burson a lot and want to keep it. Anyone using this combo (HA-160/HA-160D/HA-160DS etc) and the W3000ANV's?

 

How do these phones go with metal/rock/indy/stuff? I need a phone that does everything pretty well as I have extremely varied tastes in music. I've head they have solid but not boomy bass and neutral/sparkling treble without being fatiguing or over analytical which suits me fine. However I'm worried about the mids - are the mids unnaturally accentuated? For reference I absolutely hated how the W5000's sounded, to me their mids were truly horrible/way too accentuated for what I listened to.

 

Phones I like - HD-650's/LCD-2/LCD-3 (although the LCD's were a little lacking in detail for me). Phones I like but think can be a little harsh/fatiguing - HD800/Q701/K701. I don't like any Beyers (too choked/tight), the D7000's were ok from memory but a bit bass heavy. I haven't tried the Fostex TH-900's.

 

I've not heard many closed phones but I really need some as I share the space in which I listen to them. I like an overall neutral/accurate sound without any unnatural colouration or over-emphasis on any particular frequency, I like detail so long as it's not too clinical. I choose all my gear to sound optimal without EQ, I'm a bit of a purist in that way. Will the W3000ANV fit the bill? I can't audition them before purchase unfortunately hence all the questions.

 

 

They're colored..

 

Try out these for being as neutral as possible:

 

Paradox

Mad Dogs

TH-900

W3000anv

D7000

 

Also the amp / Dac is very important.  


Edited by preproman - 3/22/13 at 6:31am
post #415 of 964

Thanks, the TH-900 is on my list, I'll have to look up the others. Just a question, you put the W3000ANV in that list which suggests they are neutral as possible....but at the start you said they're coloured? Or were you referring to my current HD-650's as coloured?

post #416 of 964

They are colored but I went from Neutral as possible down to the colored closed headphones.  That I know of.  there might be others out there I don't know about.  

post #417 of 964

The W3000 is a great phone--works well with EDM when sub-bass isn't needed, indie, and pop--but I don't see them being all rounders like the TH900/LCD2.  They're probably not ideal for heavy metal or other aggressive genres that require speed, although one can still find them enjoyable for that.  They are not fast phones.  The mids aren't over emphasized, but they do stand out due to their unique coloration that shines on some songs and not others.

post #418 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonyx View Post

How do these phones go with metal/rock/indy/stuff? I need a phone that does everything pretty well as I have extremely varied tastes in music. I've head they have solid but not boomy bass and neutral/sparkling treble without being fatiguing or over analytical which suits me fine. However I'm worried about the mids - are the mids unnaturally accentuated? For reference I absolutely hated how the W5000's sounded, to me their mids were truly horrible/way too accentuated for what I listened to.

 

Phones I like - HD-650's/LCD-2/LCD-3 (although the LCD's were a little lacking in detail for me). Phones I like but think can be a little harsh/fatiguing - HD800/Q701/K701. I don't like any Beyers (too choked/tight), the D7000's were ok from memory but a bit bass heavy. I haven't tried the Fostex TH-900's.

 

I've not heard many closed phones but I really need some as I share the space in which I listen to them. I like an overall neutral/accurate sound without any unnatural colouration or over-emphasis on any particular frequency, I like detail so long as it's not too clinical. I choose all my gear to sound optimal without EQ, I'm a bit of a purist in that way. Will the W3000ANV fit the bill? I can't audition them before purchase unfortunately hence all the questions.

 

I think the W3000ANV's are great with rock and indy stuff.  They're not optimal for metal because they will not be able to keep up with faster sections in modern metal.  Regarding the mids, there is a little emphasis there, especially in the upper mids, but it's not obnoxiously colored or overwhelming.  I think the mids on the W3000ANV are very fluid and engaging, with the bump in the upper mids really drawing me in for vocals and guitars, while still allowing for excellent bass control and decent treble response (slightly rolled off).  For my musical preferences (prog/alt rock, jazz, vocals, some metal that leans more toward rock), they're my go to headphone.  

post #419 of 964

Interesting thanks for the feedback. Since I cannot audition these, but i have heard the W5000, how do the 'coloured' mids of the W3000ANV's compared to those of the W5000?

post #420 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonyx View Post

Interesting thanks for the feedback. Since I cannot audition these, but i have heard the W5000, how do the 'coloured' mids of the W3000ANV's compared to those of the W5000?


W5000 vs W3000ANV

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Appreciation Thread