Is there a headphone that has the fantastic soundstage and forward mids of the HD598 but with more bass? The lack of bass will be a big problem for me...
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 10/5/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 10/5/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- first timer Last post on 10/20/12 at 11:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best open headphones under $300 Last post on 2/17/13 at 6:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for me? Last post on 10/9/12 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Like HD471i but closed and produce better resonance, better volume, clarity on treble, but none of these descriptions actually help make it sound good..to be honest. And to be honest, t40rp mk2...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
As list in the summary, I don't like this product, and I will not buy any product from Philips because of the post-sale service. After I tried replacing all of the ear-pieces in the box, I...
Introduction – When I was first looking into a set of computer speakers, many brands tickled my ear but few really caught my eye. Edifier are a perfect example of a brand renowned for their...
Headphone similar to HD598 but with more bass?post #1 of 2010/4/12 at 12:40pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2010/4/12 at 1:03pmI use mine with an old Panasonic Portable CD player with the bass boost on - far better SQ than my iPod and gives a nice bass boost that does not affect the mids/vocals etc, or with my home receiver.post #3 of 2010/4/12 at 1:15pm
i would advice you to use an equalizer, these headphone's drivers are capable of delivering a good amount of bass without distorting
boost ~60hz and below
other headphone would be the DT990, but then the vocals may not be foward as thesepost #4 of 2010/4/12 at 1:42pmThread StarterQuote:
Is there maybe a program I can download in my computer which has a big EQ option? I would prefer one in which I can manipulate a lot of things like bass, mids, treble, etc.post #5 of 2010/4/12 at 1:46pmDefinitely capable of good bass the 598. One day not long ago I put a small piece of electrical tape on each grill just big enough to cover the Senn logo and man does it tighten the sound up just a bit to go wow, including bass. Easiest most reversable mod and I love it.post #6 of 2010/4/12 at 2:45pmQuote:
winamp + equalizer plugin by nevi
it can do this
250 band goodness, +20db until -60dbpost #7 of 2010/4/12 at 2:48pmQuote:
i did try using duct tape to tape up the rear section of the earcups (inside the earcup, at the edge closer to the back of your head) i used a 1cm x 2cm piece, it increased the bass by a good amount, however it reduced clarity and soundstage, so i decided to use the eq and ditch the tape (note im using the similar HD558, but not the HD598)post #8 of 2010/4/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
Very best,post #9 of 2010/4/12 at 7:48pm
Uh Darth Beyers much? Well, if Larry still made deep opens that is....
Sounds like you want a fun can. I have the 558s without the foam in the cups they are quite capable of decent bass but I think your real issue might be the neutrality of the headphone. So look to Beyer, Sony, Ultrasone, Hi-Fi Man for that and stay away from Sennheiser imo.post #10 of 2010/6/12 at 7:57pm
I had an idea and I think that it works.
Since sound with stereo speakers changes when you increase the distance bw the two, I thought it might be interesting to mod the earpads a bit. So I took the earpads off and rolled a bit of weatherstripping just under the rim of the pads. This goes under the pad itself and effectively pushed/plumped them up about twice the size of the original. Result? It sounds bigger. I was playing Borderlands 2 in the Caustic Caverns area which is a big set of caves with huge heavy footed monsters. Big time bass festival. Anyway the 558s were certainly punchier than before. Gunshots had more kick and they really rumbled more. Seems a bit like the effect the Jmoney pads had on the denons. Plus, what material you put behind the driver seems to really effect the sound signature. I am thinking of making a doughnut ring out of the weather stripping and see what that sounds like. Kind of like the FOStex mods, I think the 558/598 can really change sound signature quite a bit with similar mod techniques.post #11 of 2010/6/12 at 11:43pm
I have the HE-400s and I can say I feel like they are the HD598s but pumped up by 10 levels of awesome epic SQ. That being said they are heavy and need velour pads... and they are 399;)post #12 of 2010/7/12 at 12:13am
The most realistic sound I've ever heard. Very smooth and the weights on the frequency is just right !!! Unlike the thick dark muddy 650 or overly airy and thin sounding K701. This one is just right, and with great great bass quality.post #13 of 2010/7/12 at 12:15ampost #14 of 2010/7/12 at 12:17ampost #15 of 2010/7/12 at 1:26amQuote:
What source(s) (like DAC & amp) are you plugging the headphones into?
Have you tried using Foobar2000 for music?
- Headphone similar to HD598 but with more bass?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED] 26 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 41 seconds ago
- › Review & Discussions/Impressions: Creative Labs E-MU Walnut Wood... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 2 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E80 Review by mark2410 3 minutes ago
- › Turntable and Desktop Amp/DAC choice. 3 minutes ago
- › Metrum Acoustics Menuet DAC 4 minutes ago
- › HD598 Dac/Amp Recommendations w/ mic in 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 4 minutes ago
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional by mien
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Malfunkt
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by bhazard
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...