Is there a headphone that has the fantastic soundstage and forward mids of the HD598 but with more bass? The lack of bass will be a big problem for me...
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 10/5/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 10/5/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- first timer Last post on 10/20/12 at 11:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best open headphones under $300 Last post on 2/17/13 at 6:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for me? Last post on 10/9/12 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank CTC Audio for providing me with a review sample of T-Peos Baguette IEMs in exchange for my honest opinion. This IEM is available at...
At the time this review was written, the T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid earphone was on sale for $79.00 USD on CTC Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
I recently upgraded my 16GB version to 64GB for less than 200 bucks. I wanted to upgrade to the newer models, but I'm not going to waste my money on something that can play the same music for more...
I am not an audiophile myself, rather a music lover, searching for the holy grail of SQ that repoduces life-like sound out from records BUILD QUALITY (CRAFTSMANSHIP) Very well done here,...
Cayin N6 Pros-quality build & sound, UI, neutralish, amp not needed Cons-battery life could be longer, large, gets warm Settings- low gain, soft, no eq. Note: I had an...
Headphone similar to HD598 but with more bass?post #1 of 2010/4/12 at 12:40pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2010/4/12 at 1:03pmI use mine with an old Panasonic Portable CD player with the bass boost on - far better SQ than my iPod and gives a nice bass boost that does not affect the mids/vocals etc, or with my home receiver.post #3 of 2010/4/12 at 1:15pm
i would advice you to use an equalizer, these headphone's drivers are capable of delivering a good amount of bass without distorting
boost ~60hz and below
other headphone would be the DT990, but then the vocals may not be foward as thesepost #4 of 2010/4/12 at 1:42pmThread StarterQuote:
Is there maybe a program I can download in my computer which has a big EQ option? I would prefer one in which I can manipulate a lot of things like bass, mids, treble, etc.post #5 of 2010/4/12 at 1:46pmDefinitely capable of good bass the 598. One day not long ago I put a small piece of electrical tape on each grill just big enough to cover the Senn logo and man does it tighten the sound up just a bit to go wow, including bass. Easiest most reversable mod and I love it.post #6 of 2010/4/12 at 2:45pmQuote:
winamp + equalizer plugin by nevi
it can do this
250 band goodness, +20db until -60dbpost #7 of 2010/4/12 at 2:48pmQuote:
i did try using duct tape to tape up the rear section of the earcups (inside the earcup, at the edge closer to the back of your head) i used a 1cm x 2cm piece, it increased the bass by a good amount, however it reduced clarity and soundstage, so i decided to use the eq and ditch the tape (note im using the similar HD558, but not the HD598)post #8 of 2010/4/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
Very best,post #9 of 2010/4/12 at 7:48pm
Uh Darth Beyers much? Well, if Larry still made deep opens that is....
Sounds like you want a fun can. I have the 558s without the foam in the cups they are quite capable of decent bass but I think your real issue might be the neutrality of the headphone. So look to Beyer, Sony, Ultrasone, Hi-Fi Man for that and stay away from Sennheiser imo.post #10 of 2010/6/12 at 7:57pm
I had an idea and I think that it works.
Since sound with stereo speakers changes when you increase the distance bw the two, I thought it might be interesting to mod the earpads a bit. So I took the earpads off and rolled a bit of weatherstripping just under the rim of the pads. This goes under the pad itself and effectively pushed/plumped them up about twice the size of the original. Result? It sounds bigger. I was playing Borderlands 2 in the Caustic Caverns area which is a big set of caves with huge heavy footed monsters. Big time bass festival. Anyway the 558s were certainly punchier than before. Gunshots had more kick and they really rumbled more. Seems a bit like the effect the Jmoney pads had on the denons. Plus, what material you put behind the driver seems to really effect the sound signature. I am thinking of making a doughnut ring out of the weather stripping and see what that sounds like. Kind of like the FOStex mods, I think the 558/598 can really change sound signature quite a bit with similar mod techniques.post #11 of 2010/6/12 at 11:43pm
I have the HE-400s and I can say I feel like they are the HD598s but pumped up by 10 levels of awesome epic SQ. That being said they are heavy and need velour pads... and they are 399;)post #12 of 2010/7/12 at 12:13am
The most realistic sound I've ever heard. Very smooth and the weights on the frequency is just right !!! Unlike the thick dark muddy 650 or overly airy and thin sounding K701. This one is just right, and with great great bass quality.post #13 of 2010/7/12 at 12:15ampost #14 of 2010/7/12 at 12:17ampost #15 of 2010/7/12 at 1:26amQuote:
What source(s) (like DAC & amp) are you plugging the headphones into?
Have you tried using Foobar2000 for music?
- Headphone similar to HD598 but with more bass?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › [AUS] Sony MDR-MA900 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › what is the best portable music player to have? 3 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 7 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 9 minutes ago
- › Using both Fios E12 and JDS O2 together? 10 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 10 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Luxury & Precision LP5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player by daduy
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2