Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 550

post #8236 of 8825

Just noticed you had the mk1 AK100.

post #8237 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

AK120 > RWAK100 for the UERM?

For now, yes. Although, I don't have AK120 to A/B. I just think that AK120 was amazing when I demoed them. It sounded more smooth and 3D.

post #8238 of 8825

Well that's not good news for my wallet ;)

post #8239 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Well that's not good news for my wallet ;)

Lol. AK120 does cost $1299 and RWAK costs like $850 when bought from RWA. What about AK240? I bet it's better then AK100.

post #8240 of 8825

Maybe but ugly as hell and because of it's uniqueness even the leather case doesn't track the shape.  Read, stuff will get in between the case and player overtime.  Ugh.  And at $2400... not really good value for replacing a good desktop rig.  With the Calyx M around the corner at $1000... I'll wait ;)

post #8241 of 8825

    There have been a number of postings from people having issues with tagging, sd card problems etc.  After living with the AK100 MK2 (firmware 2.30) for just over a month and hours of ‘playing’ most of my issues have been bandaged.  The tagging has been a real bear to resolve.  Not even all purchased music displayed correctly but after looking into it again and again and again  I found some interesting things.  All of my artwork was resized to 500 x 500 jpeg but in the odd case still didn’t show.  Using the app ‘Tag’ for the Mac, recommended by one of the posters helped greatly.  I had previously used VLC and xACT for tagging.  If there is multiple artwork embedded in the FLAC file it will not display the artwork in the unit.  If all the artwork is removed and only one is put back that almost always works.  There is still 1% that will not display and I have no idea why so I live with it.  Having the artist, album, track, disk, genre, year etc. has never had any bearing whether it displayed or played on the unit.  There are certain characters that do not display properly but that is an easy fix.  The only files I have put in the unit are FLAC and a few mp3’s.  I had some mp3 favourites that sounded good on cans so I dragged that playlist into the unit.  Over half did not play, have artwork, did not show up or hung the unit.  All these files played fine with everything else I have played them on, that was what was so perplexing.  Through trial and error I found the answer to the mp3 issue…..it was the version of the ID3 tag.  Anything with v2.4 was a complete write-off, v2.3 worked most of the time and v2.2 worked every time.  iTunes has the ability to convert the ID3tags easily.  The other issue is the card slots, sd1 and sd2.  I am using the recommended speed of Sandisk cards and have tried different ones of the same type and there are still issues.  Slot sd1 is pretty stable and scans most of the time but sd2 is a real issue.  If I plug the unit in via USB and the drives get mounted and unmounted it’s a crapshoot whether sd2 comes out unscathed (read as data corrupted).  I have done it a few times and it has worked but the most reliable way is to remove the cards and then mount them out of the unit.  So I power the unit down, remove the cards, put them in a caddy, then mount them, add the tunes then unmount the card and finally put them back in the AK100 power it up and let it do a scan.  The scan, in some cases, needs to be done a couple times just to recognize there is a card there.  After a couple times of power cycles it sees them and scans correctly.  Now and again, when everything was working fine, on a power up it doesn’t see one or both card slots a power down usually addresses that.  I like the sound, fit and finish but I wish they would address these issues in a new firmware release, the last was the beginning of November 2013.  I have scanned over many hundreds of pages of this forum…..that others have had similar issues, thus my writing.

post #8242 of 8825

I understand that the firmware can not wait? iRiver apparently no time to do it.

post #8243 of 8825

I regularly transfer files on to the sd cards in my device all the time.   Mounted and unmounted without files being corrupted.   I haven't heard of the problem you describe.   Might not be a firmware issue at all.   Could be a problem with the formatting of your cards.  Try reformatting the cards.

 

Hardware defect?  Call Iriver and discuss this with them.

 

Your computer might not be properly unmounting the drives.  Update your OS if you can.

 

Corrupted installation of your firmware?  Try reinstalling the firmware.

post #8244 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post
 

I regularly transfer files on to the sd cards in my device all the time.   Mounted and unmounted without files being corrupted.   I haven't heard of the problem you describe.   Might not be a firmware issue at all.   Could be a problem with the formatting of your cards.  Try reformatting the cards.

 

Hardware defect?  Call Iriver and discuss this with them.

 

Your computer might not be properly unmounting the drives.  Update your OS if you can.

 

Corrupted installation of your firmware?  Try reinstalling the firmware.

 

+1 for reformatting the cards.

 

I was having all kinds of issues until I reformatted the cards and have not had a hiccup since...

post #8245 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post
 

I regularly transfer files on to the sd cards in my device all the time.   Mounted and unmounted without files being corrupted.   I haven't heard of the problem you describe.   Might not be a firmware issue at all.   Could be a problem with the formatting of your cards.  Try reformatting the cards.

 

Hardware defect?  Call Iriver and discuss this with them.

 

Your computer might not be properly unmounting the drives.  Update your OS if you can.

 

Corrupted installation of your firmware?  Try reinstalling the firmware.

   If the cards are not in the unit they are always fine, the problem is when they are in the unit, specifically SD2.  It's a tossup whether they make it out uncorrupted when unmounted.  As far as formatting, the cards came FAT32 and the issue persisted and where reformatted FAT32 and the issue still persists.  The drives are being unmounted correctly and the OS is the latest with all the updates.  As well I have reinstalled the firmware twice and nothing changes.  As a final I was not going to mention unless it was brought up.....I have tried contacting iRiver in California (949-336-4540) dozens of times and there never has been an answer (I am in the same time zone).  I have also e-mailed them and nothing as well.  I'm afraid to say it's like they don't exist, the phone just rings with no answer....nothing.  Frustrating to say the least.

post #8246 of 8825
Anyone can give me direction of how to do the ak100 resistor mod by myself? Thx
post #8247 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
 

   If the cards are not in the unit they are always fine, the problem is when they are in the unit, specifically SD2.  It's a tossup whether they make it out uncorrupted when unmounted.  As far as formatting, the cards came FAT32 and the issue persisted and where reformatted FAT32 and the issue still persists.  The drives are being unmounted correctly and the OS is the latest with all the updates.  As well I have reinstalled the firmware twice and nothing changes.  As a final I was not going to mention unless it was brought up.....I have tried contacting iRiver in California (949-336-4540) dozens of times and there never has been an answer (I am in the same time zone).  I have also e-mailed them and nothing as well.  I'm afraid to say it's like they don't exist, the phone just rings with no answer....nothing.  Frustrating to say the least.

 

Unless you got it directly from iriver, try contacting the company you bought the device from.   They should be able to intercede on your behalf.  They should also have private numbers to reach them directly.

post #8248 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post
 

 

Unless you got it directly from iriver, try contacting the company you bought the device from.   They should be able to intercede on your behalf.  They should also have private numbers to reach them directly.

I bought it locally, they have interceded on my behalf on private numbers unknown to me.  The answer....they are aware of some people having issues with the card slots like sd2......and they are working on it?  It's been five months?   I guess these things take time, I am very patient but it is wearing thin!

post #8249 of 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangryo View Post

Anyone can give me direction of how to do the ak100 resistor mod by myself? Thx

 

try this link

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671101/ak100-22ohm-bypass-diy

post #8250 of 8825

I've been working with the AK100 for a few weeks (and have placed a few posts here- thanks for the guidance and support so far). Now, I'm syncing a multi-disc set and the AK100 does not sort by disc number in album view. For example, I have a (great) Bill Evans 3 CD set and each disc is in a separate folder. Once I drag and drop it to the AK100, it only sees one folder with all tracks listed but not in the correct order.  Very frustrating for a live performance to have the tracks out of sort. Any thoughts on how to correct this? I think the tags are clean (note "part of set:1/3").  All have been ripped with dBPoweramp.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP