Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 541

post #8101 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

535 is a Shure... Shure and AK100 Mk1 is a horrible match.  Well unless you love mid range suck out.

 

Another horrible match is the Fitear TG 334. You completely lose the organic bass which is one of the most attractive features of the TG 334. To be fair, I don't hear the same issue with the rest of the Fitear IEMs.

post #8102 of 8675
Given your IEM, I'd suggest your options are (in order of preference):-

*The Mk II on it's own; which should be just fine given the lower impedance, but if you possibly can, audition first just in case as I did given the amount of money we're talking about here (we're obviously not talking about blowing 50 bucks on a Clip).

*The Red Wine Audio RWAK100 which is a Mk I with the 22 ohm resistors bypassed & headphone output stage 'rejigged'/'cleaned up' and is ~US$100 more than the Mk II.

*Or even get the Mk I + an external amp (most have extremely low output impedance), you may be able to get a decent amp + the unit for slightly less than the above two options. Depends on whether you want to carry around another bit of kit (which is part of the reason many people buy this device, they don't need to do that).

And it's even possible you might even find you like the sound of your Shure's through the Mk I as is despite there possibly being some issues with changes to their sound (everyone's ears are different) as others have mentioned, but also as mentioned you should be just fine with the Mk II. So if you can audition either/both first with your IEM's, I strongly recommend you do so unless you're happy to possibly sell at a small loss if you're not happy.

FWIW I auditioned both before buying, and much preferred (and bought) the Mk II for my triple driver custom IEM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Okay, now I'm confused. As Solude said above: "Westone and AK100 mk1... heaven, Shure and the mk1... death".

Please advise, thanks!

Edited by MistahBungle - 3/12/14 at 1:07am
post #8103 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

 

Another horrible match is the Fitear TG 334. You completely lose the organic bass which is one of the most attractive features of the TG 334. To be fair, I don't hear the same issue with the rest of the Fitear IEMs.


Pretty strange though, since I really like the partere with the ak100 , and the 222 and 333 , but yeah not the 334. AK100 is pretty choosy in picking out synergy

post #8104 of 8675
Yeah, that output impedance can effect for better or worse sometimes.

I always aim for a <1 output impedance (ie Red Wine Mod) so I am just hearing the earphone as intended / designed. Otherwise it can get really tricky where you love an earphone from one device, but can't stand it with another...
post #8105 of 8675

This is helpful, thanks!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post

Given your IEM, I'd suggest your options are (in order of preference):-

*The Mk II on it's own; which should be just fine given the lower impedance, but if you possibly can, audition first just in case as I did given the amount of money we're talking about here (we're obviously not talking about blowing 50 bucks on a Clip).

*The Red Wine Audio RWAK100 which is a Mk I with the 22 ohm resistors bypassed & headphone output stage 'rejigged'/'cleaned up' and is ~US$100 more than the Mk II.

*Or even get the Mk I + an external amp (most have extremely low output impedance), you may be able to get a decent amp + the unit for slightly less than the above two options. Depends on whether you want to carry around another bit of kit (which is part of the reason many people buy this device, they don't need to do that).

And it's even possible you might even find you like the sound of your Shure's through the Mk I as is despite there possibly being some issues with changes to their sound (everyone's ears are different) as others have mentioned, but also as mentioned you should be just fine with the Mk II. So if you can audition either/both first with your IEM's, I strongly recommend you do so unless you're happy to possibly sell at a small loss if you're not happy.

FWIW I auditioned both before buying, and much preferred (and bought) the Mk II for my triple driver custom IEM's.
post #8106 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post


Pretty strange though, since I really like the partere with the ak100 , and the 222 and 333 , but yeah not the 334. AK100 is pretty choosy in picking out synergy

Indeed! It works nicely the 435, MH334 and 333. Just not the TG334. Oh well. Can't have it all. smily_headphones1.gif
post #8107 of 8675
Guy, i dropped my gold Ak100 in the carpark yesterday and found that as well as having a scratch on the volume knob, the volume control is now hit or miss. Its fine if i turn slowly, but gets skipply if i got fast. Does any know where i can get it fixed? I am located in Australia and there isn't a repair center here.
post #8108 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post


Indeed! It works nicely the 435, MH334 and 333. Just not the TG334. Oh well. Can't have it all. smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Plus one to this! I totally agree.

 

In anyway, the sound sig of the TG334 doesnt appeal to me at all; i dislike it. HOWEVER, I find the MH334 with my AK100 Gold synergise well for some awkward reason.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemtmaker View Post

Guy, i dropped my gold Ak100 in the carpark yesterday and found that as well as having a scratch on the volume knob, the volume control is now hit or miss. Its fine if i turn slowly, but gets skipply if i got fast.

 

I feel you, mate. 

post #8109 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalethal View Post


Plus one to this! I totally agree.

In anyway, the sound sig of the TG334 doesnt appeal to me at all; i dislike it. HOWEVER, I find the MH334 with my AK100 Gold synergise well for some awkward reason.

Ah... That's not surprising. If what the AK rep at Mook says is true, the AK100 gold is still the same as the MK1 AK100, save for the snazzy color. Glad it works well with your MH334; I have mine running with the wonderful BW. smily_headphones1.gif
post #8110 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemtmaker View Post

Guy, i dropped my gold Ak100 in the carpark yesterday and found that as well as having a scratch on the volume knob, the volume control is now hit or miss. Its fine if i turn slowly, but gets skipply if i got fast. Does any know where i can get it fixed? I am located in Australia and there isn't a repair center here.

 

Ouch!! Sorry to hear!

 

You might want to get in touch with Addicted to Audio or Minidisc.com.au - they are 2 local (i.e. Australian) retailers who might know more about service options.

post #8111 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post


Ah... That's not surprising. If what the AK rep at Mook says is true, the AK100 gold is still the same as the MK1 AK100, save for the snazzy color. Glad it works well with your MH334; I have mine running with the wonderful BW. smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Just to be clear, i had a brief audition of the MH334. I don't own it. hahaha!

 

Anyway, like many pages ago, between the MK 1s, I still find my Gold sounded different from the default Black AK100.

post #8112 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

Ouch!! Sorry to hear!

 

You might want to get in touch with Addicted to Audio or Minidisc.com.au - they are 2 local (i.e. Australian) retailers who might know more about service options.


Thanks for the heads up. I have already contacted minidisc and they said there is no repair center in Australia at all. I am trying to reach out to iriver Korea via the HK reseller.... seems like a lot of trouble......... sign.....=(

post #8113 of 8675

It is so strange on charging my AK100 MK2 with a Samsung micro-USB 700mAh charger....

I power off my AK100 and plug in the charger, then after a few hours, it keep charging. but when I unplug it and re-plug, it showed charged

 

May I know how you guys to charge your AK100? with your computer USB?

post #8114 of 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfriends View Post

It is so strange on charging my AK100 MK2 with a Samsung micro-USB 700mAh charger....
I power off my AK100 and plug in the charger, then after a few hours, it keep charging. but when I unplug it and re-plug, it showed charged

May I know how you guys to charge your AK100? with your computer USB?

1A Huawei USB charger here, no problems.
post #8115 of 8675

Standard USB Cable with a Belkin Charger or directly from the MacBook with some standard USB cable (I use several, so I cannot even say which works better)

 

Never had any problems with charging

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP