Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 517

post #7741 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post

When you hear the Mk2 wih the V3,I wonder if you experience hissing while the music is playing?
I auditioned both of them together. Although the sound was amazing, I couldn't get around the little hiss playing in the background.
FYI, I don't hear a hiss though when not playing anything/the track is on pause.

I own both the AK100 and Mk2, and through the V6 there is no hissing at all. Background is the darkest and quietest out of other DAPs that I've tried/owned. Maybe it's your recording/file source?
post #7742 of 8651
AZ,

I didn't notice it during the ~20 minute audition I gave the unit I bought (they didn't have a demo due to low stock levels, I had to twist their arms to get them to break out a new unit for me to listen to), but I haven't listened since I got it home a few hrs ago. It's currently on charge, I intend to give it a hr or so session in a couple hrs, I'll get back to you after I've done that later tonight.


Edit - Just had a 45 min session with the device, no hissing during playback; EQ/boost off, volume = 38, various 16/44.1 FLAC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post

When you hear the Mk2 wih the V3,I wonder if you experience hissing while the music is playing?
I auditioned both of them together. Although the sound was amazing, I couldn't get around the little hiss playing in the background.
FYI, I don't hear a hiss though when not playing anything/the track is on pause.


Extra edit - Eskimo - Seems the 'VBR MP3 getting cut short' issue isn't happening with all VBR MP3's, just some. This page has a few posts re: the issue, and as I said in my post on the PP, there are others.
Edited by MistahBungle - 12/23/13 at 3:11am
post #7743 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post

AZ,

I didn't notice it during the ~20 minute audition I gave the unit I bought (they didn't have a demo due to low stock levels, I had to twist their arms to get them to break out a new unit for me to listen to), but I haven't listened since I got it home a few hrs ago. It's currently on charge, I intend to give it a hr or so session in a couple hrs, I'll get back to you after I've done that later tonight.


Edit - Just had a 45 min session with the device, no hissing during playback; EQ/boost off, volume = 38, various 16/44.1 FLAC's.

 

Thanks man for finding out. Probably it's the V3 unit but I really loved the pairing though.

Big difference between the stock and Mk II.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post


I own both the AK100 and Mk2, and through the V6 there is no hissing at all. Background is the darkest and quietest out of other DAPs that I've tried/owned. Maybe it's your recording/file source?


I'm sure it's not. I switched the cards between stock and MkII and the stock one did not hiss at all.

I think it was the faulty V3 demo unit. Thanks for the input though....

post #7744 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post
 

 

Thanks man for finding out. Probably it's the V3 unit but I really loved the pairing though.

Big difference between the stock and Mk II.

 


I'm sure it's not. I switched the cards between stock and MkII and the stock one did not hiss at all.

I think it was the faulty V3 demo unit. Thanks for the input though....

 

It might not be the V3 since there wasn't any hiss with the stock.

Might be a problem with the AK100mk2 instead?

post #7745 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post

.
More generally, took possession of the AK100 Mk II today, wonderful device it is.

Where in Aus did you find a MkII to audition??
post #7746 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post

Thanks man for finding out. Probably it's the V3 unit but I really loved the pairing though.
Big difference between the stock and Mk II.

No probs ;-) Yep, considerable difference between the Mk I & Mk II. I was initially surprised by how different when I began listening to the Mk II. Took me all of a couple of minutes to decide to buy it ;-D


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadge View Post

Where in Aus did you find a MkII to audition??

Addicted To Audio in Melbourne has the AK range (both 100's & both 120's).
Edited by MistahBungle - 12/23/13 at 3:57am
post #7747 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post
 

 

It might not be the V3 since there wasn't any hiss with the stock.

Might be a problem with the AK100mk2 instead?

It must have been between the two. Either way, I only had a limited time with them so I could not make further conclusions.

post #7748 of 8651

Listening to Amsterdam Concertgebouw radio through my Mac, then comparing with the MkII, I'm not overwhelmed by the benefits.

I expected a bigger difference between sources.

post #7749 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantx View Post
 

Listening to Amsterdam Concertgebouw radio through my Mac, then comparing with the MkII, I'm not overwhelmed by the benefits.

I expected a bigger difference between sources.

 

What headphones are you using? And do you use any kind of additional DACs/Amps with your Mac?

 

I am not trying to defend the AK100 here,but if you feel that it does not give much difference then it might just be not your cup of tea.

post #7750 of 8651

So far just EQ7 Ortofon.

I received it today.

Will run it through other Heads and IEM.

I like its airy sound, no emphasis on any register, neutrality, but I feel it's lacking dynamics and attack.

I'm just pairing it directly on the Mac.

post #7751 of 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantx View Post

So far just EQ7 Ortofon.



I received it today.



Will run it through other Heads and IEM.



I like its airy sound, no emphasis on any register, neutrality, but I feel it's lacking dynamics and attack.



I'm just pairing it directly on the Mac.


 



My AK100 was uninspiring with my Westone W4Rs and Sony XBA4IPs but was wonderful with my Klipsch X10is and HD800s which have a higher impedance. Dynamics and attack; I agree with this as being the issues I was having
post #7752 of 8651

So I should try it with higher impedance IEM/Heads. Unfortunately, so far, I own mainly low-impedance units.

post #7753 of 8651
If you get a chance to try it with what you currently own, go for it. Should you go out & buy an AK100 without listening first in the hope it lines up well with the IEM's/headphones you currently own & sell the device at a loss if it doesn't pair well with what you have ? I wouldn't. But that's just me.
post #7754 of 8651

Received it as a present. Where I am, it's not easy to just try devices

(and to really try it you need to keep it at least a few hours with you).

I have two questions so far : first, as I don't really need it to be portable,

but just a small form factor DAC/headphone amp for my home office,

aside my main system, where should I look to ? ALO's Pan Am ?

second, will pairing the AK100 with an external amp (ALO's again,

Cypher Labs, or JDS Labs) give it more dynamics ?

post #7755 of 8651
An external amp will solve your problems , the DAC on the AK100 is great, so why not just look at a headphone amp?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP