Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 513

post #7681 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylexus View Post
 

One feature I used to love with iPod and iTunes was you could create random playlists from music saved on PC and transfer to iPod.  So if I had 250GB of music on PC, I could create totally random selection of 32GB of songs and then iTunes would copy them onto the iPod.  Do you think there is any way to do this with the AK100?  Right now I am copying whole albums over using Explorer and I would like to have a more "random" selection.

I do this using mediamonkey! There is a small workaround that has to be done to the playlist tho, as mediamonkey can't get the paths correct for the playlistfile.

What I do is I like you generate a random playlist of my entire collection in mediamonkey, save it as a playlist. Via right-click you are then presented with the option to synchronize playlist to AK100. This will send the songs in the selected random playlist to the AK100. You can then save the playlist as a m3u file and manually convert it to a pls file and add it to the playlist folder on the AK100 (the info on how to do this is in a comment by among others myself somewhere in this thread).

Above steps sound a bit confusing, but it really isn't all that much work!

post #7682 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmBOS View Post
 

I do this using mediamonkey! There is a small workaround that has to be done to the playlist tho, as mediamonkey can't get the paths correct for the playlistfile.

What I do is I like you generate a random playlist of my entire collection in mediamonkey, save it as a playlist. Via right-click you are then presented with the option to synchronize playlist to AK100. This will send the songs in the selected random playlist to the AK100. You can then save the playlist as a m3u file and manually convert it to a pls file and add it to the playlist folder on the AK100 (the info on how to do this is in a comment by among others myself somewhere in this thread).

Above steps sound a bit confusing, but it really isn't all that much work!


Thank you!  I will try this today.  I hope I can figure it out. 

post #7683 of 8820

Here is the quick write up on converting the m3u to pls: #post_9347698

post #7684 of 8820

I dont know if that has been asked already, but what is the story with the LO on the AK100? I've read that maxing the volume of the AK100 makes the HO an effective line out. Does that mean that it contains no actual amplification stage, and that the volume control is merely an attenuator of the DAC output?

 

I have recently ordered a pair of Heir 5s, and was thinking of a small, IEM-oriented headphone amp to pair with the AK100, but i want to avoid double-amping, if i can.

 

TIA.

post #7685 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

I dont know if that has been asked already, but what is the story with the LO on the AK100? I've read that maxing the volume of the AK100 makes the HO an effective line out. Does that mean that it contains no actual amplification stage, and that the volume control is merely an attenuator of the DAC output?

 

I have recently ordered a pair of Heir 5s, and was thinking of a small, IEM-oriented headphone amp to pair with the AK100, but i want to avoid double-amping, if i can.

 

TIA.


the ho acts like a line out, but its not exactly one , its not a line out in the truest sense

post #7686 of 8820
Talking of avoiding double amping, can owners tell us what they're using with the unmodded AK100 that's giving them good results, especially in the bass response as that seems to be an easy way to spot a mismatch
post #7687 of 8820
I use the ALO Internarional with my AK100. Fantastic form factor, and smooth and warm sound from the amp. For me, a perfect match.
post #7688 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post

Talking of avoiding double amping, can owners tell us what they're using with the unmodded AK100 that's giving them good results, especially in the bass response as that seems to be an easy way to spot a mismatch

UHA-6S.MKII works well.

post #7689 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 


the ho acts like a line out, but its not exactly one , its not a line out in the truest sense

 

That's what I am curious about - what does that really mean?

post #7690 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

That's what I am curious about - what does that really mean?

That means that there's no LO. It's double amping, but the signal out from headphone out is still extremely clean.

post #7691 of 8820
It's more of a pre amp with your attached device filling the role of power amp
post #7692 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

That means that there's no LO. It's double amping, but the signal out from headphone out is still extremely clean.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post

It's more of a pre amp with your attached device filling the role of power amp

 



Sorry to keep harping on this, as this is the contradiction I've come across.

Some people claim that the HO is actually amped.

Other claim that the AK100's amp section is nothing but a buffer, with the volume control acting as an attentuator - in which case, the HO at full volume is pretty much a DAC stage's LO but buffered to reduce the output impedance.

Anyone know what's the case here?
post #7693 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

That means that there's no LO. It's double amping, but the signal out from headphone out is still extremely clean.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post

It's more of a pre amp with your attached device filling the role of power amp

 



Sorry to keep harping on this, as this is the contradiction I've come across.

Some people claim that the HO is actually amped.

Other claim that the AK100's amp section is nothing but a buffer, with the volume control acting as an attentuator - in which case, the HO at full volume is pretty much a DAC stage's LO but buffered to reduce the output impedance.

Anyone know what's the case here?

Well, I think the attenuator is correct. However, Vinnie of RWA mentioned that even at full volume on AK100, some current is still attenuated, meaning it's not a full line out.

post #7694 of 8820

Hello all looking for a little input as I'm interested in purchasing the AK100.  I've searched this thread for an answer to my upcoming question with no luck.  Has anyone used the AK100 with V-moda M-100 headphones, which have 32ohm impedence?  If so how is the sound and is an external amp needed?

post #7695 of 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
 

Hello all looking for a little input as I'm interested in purchasing the AK100.  I've searched this thread for an answer to my upcoming question with no luck.  Has anyone used the AK100 with V-moda M-100 headphones, which have 32ohm impedence?  If so how is the sound and is an external amp needed?


Yes I have tried it, and no I don't think there is any need of an external amp, at least not because of lack of power to drive the vmodas

they souund real nice for the mainstream music imo and they are not that revealing so that badly recorded stuff will sound totally bad 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP