Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 47

post #691 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

someone be getting coooked popcorn.gif

 

Smells good.

post #692 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Did you not read the link I gave you? If you read it it shows you real graphs of real IEMs compared and how their frequency responses are impacted by  high output impedance's (rolled off bass, boosted treble etc). Even explained in English for you ;).

 

I have seen it thanks, it doesn't answer any of the questions I asked?

post #693 of 8581
I need me some popcorn myself,...
post #694 of 8581
Have you seen the graph that shows a roughly 12dB difference (in the treble) correlating to a 15 ohms difference in the output between the Nuforce and the EMU404 ? That should answer your question, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_h View Post

I have seen it thanks, it doesn't answer any of the questions I asked?
post #695 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post

 

I think that he is trying to argue that the problem isn't the player, but that a manufacturer would make a low impedance iem. That there are two possible solutions, either:

 

1. Lower output impedance on the amp

2. Higher input impedance on the iem

 

His inquiry is why 1 is what we demand, while we let headphones makers produce low impedance iems without questioning that.

 

Oh come on that is a stupid question and even you know this. The reason for low impedance IEMs is in part due to Sensitivity/portability. They go hand in hand. If you have an IEM that with super high impedance it won't work with most portable DAPs because they won't supply enough power to properly drive them. rolleyes.gif


Edited by lee730 - 12/6/12 at 7:59pm
post #696 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbat View Post

Have you seen the graph that shows a roughly 12dB difference (in the treble) correlating to a 15 ohms difference in the output between the Nuforce and the EMU404 ? That should answer your question, IMHO.


You got it frenchbat! I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this lmao! rolleyes.gif Do we have to use sign language to get the point across. I don't see it getting any more idiot-proof than it has been laid out.

post #697 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


You got it frenchbat! I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this lmao! rolleyes.gif Do we have to use sign language to get the point across. I don't see it getting any more idiot-proof than it has been laid out.

Even my confused azz understands this,...LOL!!!biggrin.gif
post #698 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Oh come on that is a stupid question and even you know this. The reason for low impedance IEMs is in part due to Sensitivity/portability. They go hand in hand. If you have an IEM that with super high impedance it won't work with most portable DAPs because they won't supply enough power to properly drive them. rolleyes.gif

 

1. I didn't say that I agree with him, but that's what he is saying.

2. portability doesn't have to mean high sensitivity, there are high impedance iems, but yeah, most daps are going to have trouble driving them. 

post #699 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


Even my confused azz understands this,...LOL!!!biggrin.gif


I'll try one last time lol. With impedances over 1 ohm on a source (the DAP for example) it will negatively impact a sensitive IEM (much more noticeable on BA in comparison to dynamics but there is still a difference even on dynamics). The results are random depending on the IEM itself. Such as the actual ohm rating of the IEM, etc. The results can be heard as rolled off bass, boosted and bloated bass, rolled off treble, boosted and spiked treble, etc. That is the reason for using a source with less than 1 ohm with sensitive IEMs and sensitive headphones. The amp you are using it with is not suppose to be altering the frequency response of the IEM & most definitely not on such magnitude. Altering the frequency response means you are changing the intended sound signature that the manufacturer tuned the IEMs to have.


Edited by lee730 - 12/6/12 at 8:09pm
post #700 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I'll try one last time lol. With impedances over 1 ohm on a source (the DAP for example) it will negatively impact a sensitive IEM (much more noticeable on BA in comparison to dynamics but there is still a difference in on dynamics). The results are random depending on the IEM itself. Such as the actual ohm rating of the IEM, etc. The results can be heard as rolled off bass, boosted and bloated bass, rolled off treble, boosted and spiked treble, etc. That is the reason for using a source with less than 1 ohm with sensitive IEMs and sensitive headphones. The amp you are using it with is not suppose to be altering the frequency response of the IEM. Altering the frequency response means you are changing the intended sound signature that the manufacturer tuned the IEMs to have.

 

To be fair, this is still a straw man argument you're making.

 

The actual answer to his question is that (most) IEMs are sensitive so that they can be driven by the amps in most portable players. Some IEMs, again just to be fair, have a high impedance. 

post #701 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post

 

1. I didn't say that I agree with him, but that's what he is saying.

2. portability doesn't have to mean high sensitivity, there are high impedance iems, but yeah, most daps are going to have trouble driving them. 


Generally speaking, portability and high sensitivity go hand in hand in this hobby. An LCD 2 or HD650 are not considered portable at all. Heck most headphones are not considered portable either. IEMs on the other hand are considered portable just as a DAP is considered portable. Yes there are high impedance IEMs but they are a very very small percentage out of all IEMs available. You can name them on one hand I think lol (Czar, RE262, Fit Ear model, Etymotic).

post #702 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post

 

To be fair, this is still a straw man argument you're making.

 

The actual answer to his question is that (most) IEMs are sensitive so that they can be driven by the amps in most portable players. Some IEMs, again just to be fair, have a high impedance. 


I don't see it as a straw man argument. He didn't ask that question. If he did he would have asked why are most IEMs sensitive? As you had said it is because most portable players will not be able to power power hungry/wasteful IEMs. What I gathered from his question is how does impedance affect IEMs and where is the proof.


Edited by lee730 - 12/6/12 at 8:18pm
post #703 of 8581

Well some new high impedance IEMs are being designed almost specifically for the AK100 - such as the limited edition FitEar F111 & Heir Audio as mentioned in this thread. What other high impedance IEMs that are 176 ohm & above, I've not personally encountered them. A thread of high impedance IEMs seem to have been created though.

 

As for first hand experience, FrenchBat & I, together, did listen to the AK100 (and I've tried it 3 times in 3 separate occasions). Using my FitEar TG!334 I could hear a difference between my DX100 & the AK100 (which I've previously shared earlier in this thread - feel free to search) but I'm not advanced enough in this field to discern if the difference I heard was due to the difference in DAC, amp or output impedance. But was privileged to have FrenchBat educate me on this.

 

Back to the sidelines: Oi! Just because it's the climatic scene, doesn't mean you have to hog the popcorn...pass it on!! popcorn.gif

post #704 of 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I'll try one last time lol. With impedances over 1 ohm on a source (the DAP for example) it will negatively impact a sensitive IEM (much more noticeable on BA in comparison to dynamics but there is still a difference even on dynamics). The results are random depending on the IEM itself. Such as the actual ohm rating of the IEM, etc. The results can be heard as rolled off bass, boosted and bloated bass, rolled off treble, boosted and spiked treble, etc. That is the reason for using a source with less than 1 ohm with sensitive IEMs and sensitive headphones. The amp you are using it with is not suppose to be altering the frequency response of the IEM & most definitely not on such magnitude. Altering the frequency response means you are changing the intended sound signature that the manufacturer tuned the IEMs to have.
Hey, fool, you quoted the wrong person!!! I get the point, and i AGREE!!! LOL!!! I'm sending you some COFFEE!!! wink.gif
post #705 of 8581

 < So you are telling me that the AK100 is designed for the wrong type of EIM's and we have Graphs to proof it>

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP