Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 45

post #661 of 8678

Yeah i really want to try out a Tera Player.

 

If this thing sticks around the $700 price point I just may do it...next year...lol
 


Edited by icefalkon - 12/5/12 at 10:26pm
post #662 of 8678

I'm going to try the AK100 with the pico slim...

post #663 of 8678

Could one of you guys explain the IEM 20ohm thing to me...?

post #664 of 8678
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

Could one of you guys explain the IEM 20ohm thing to me...?

 

It will change the frequency response of sensitive IEMs and headphones. Pretty much that means you're IEMs won't sound as they were intended by the manufacturer. The AK100 will color them in an unpredictable way (rolled off bass, bloated bass, harsh treble, etc). The effects are random but they will happen. So pretty much this player is not suitable for 99.9 of IEMs period.

post #665 of 8678

Well then...first...thank you for the explanation.

 

second...there goes that idea for a xmas present to myself...lol

post #666 of 8678
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

Well then...first...thank you for the explanation.

 

second...there goes that idea for a xmas present to myself...lol


Did you check out the DX100 thread? ;).

post #667 of 8678

Ha! yeah...it's pretty big though...I love that this is so compact. I was considering a DX100 before this...but now I'll wait and see what the new year brings us
 

post #668 of 8678

Yes it is a little big. If I was to take my iphone 4 out of its otterbox the DX100 would be about the same size as two iphones 4s stacked.
 

post #669 of 8678

Sorry for not finding the time read through 40+ pages (yet :), but could someone point me in the general direction of:

 

- where the 20 ohm number came from?

- any number on the internal amp's actual power?

 

I've searched around iRiver's marketing material, the downloadable manual, slides on other sites but could not find any of the above officially documented. Maybe because my Google-Fu is weak... Their recommended headphones are all above 20ohm though. And doesn't anybody else think it's a bit of an oddball combination of "MQS" HD music together with frickin' bluetooth audio?

post #670 of 8678

http://ko.goldenears.net/2459115
 

22 ohms. Not suitable for most sensitive IEMs. Pretty much you'd need to use a headphone with 180 or more Ohms to not have its frequency response changed by the amp. Good luck.

post #671 of 8678

^ Thanks, interesting link. Not just the output impedance, but also how much all specs change under an increasing load. 250ohm is looking pretty good, not too many (portable) headphones out there though (Beyerdynamic springs to mind) Maybe bluetooth IS the way to  go  ^_^ An external amp would help, but at that price not really acceptable...

post #672 of 8678

Also you don't have a LO so you'll be double amping. At this price point that is also not acceptable. They really undermined themselves with this one lol.
 

post #673 of 8678

Isn't this just a typo? Maybe they meant 20mOhm?

 

One should always give it a shot anyway, measurement are measurement, they wouldn't manufacture a product with such flaws, especially when its price makes it targeted to audiophiles more than anyone else.

post #674 of 8678
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyOldMan View Post

Sorry for not finding the time read through 40+ pages (yet :), but could someone point me in the general direction of:

 

- where the 20 ohm number came from?

- any number on the internal amp's actual power?

 

I've searched around iRiver's marketing material, the downloadable manual, slides on other sites but could not find any of the above officially documented. Maybe because my Google-Fu is weak... Their recommended headphones are all above 20ohm though. And doesn't anybody else think it's a bit of an oddball combination of "MQS" HD music together with frickin' bluetooth audio?

 

iRiver seems to have removed the 20 ohm output impedance form their list of specifications, but you can still find it in the table on their comparison page.

post #675 of 8678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Isn't this just a typo? Maybe they meant 20mOhm?

 

One should always give it a shot anyway, measurement are measurement, they wouldn't manufacture a product with such flaws, especially when its price makes it targeted to audiophiles more than anyone else.


No Clemmaster it is not a typo. There are more RMAA tests that have been done and it is confirmed to be 22 Ohms. Even iRiver stated that they recommend you use full size headphones with high impedances to make it work. They pretty much just made excuses to justify the flaw. Look elsewhere as you will find better. I don't need to try the product out to know I will have issues with my IEMs. I've dealt with these issues on even my Fiio E9 which has even less output impedance than this amp & it still made things sound horrible on sensitive IEMs and headphones. My Denon 5000s bass was very bloated and its treble was harsh. When I got the O2 amp things were much better. Bass was much more controlled and treble wasn't spiked.


Edited by lee730 - 12/6/12 at 2:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP