Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 434

post #6496 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

Hmmm... I guess that is logical when it was a patch, but I thought the Listrid 2.0 was a standalone firmware and expected to lose Gapless playback and so on. All these features are still there and gapless functions. Of course, best of both worlds I expect if I have all the latest functions and choice of audio drivers. 

I might go back to 2.01 while I wait for someone can confirm what should be happening.

Yes it shows 1.0 in sys info and your last firmware before installing Listrid 2.0 over. You got pro eq and gapless too.
Edited by jonckr - 7/6/13 at 1:52am
post #6497 of 8620

Jpe, Listrid 2.0 has gapless and Pro EQ, actually Beta 2.0 has no Pro EQ but offers gapless. Listrid 2.0 is rather based on AK120 FW while Listrid 1.0 is patch AK100 1.33. i suppose version 1.0 you see with Listrid upgrade means AK120 FW 1.0 adapated for AK100.

you can ask Wladrus to confirm if my logic is correct :-D


Edited by Gintaras - 7/6/13 at 1:45am
post #6498 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Jpe, Listrid 2.0 has gapless and Pro EQ, actually Beta 2.0 has no Pro EQ but offers gapless. Listrid 2.0 is rather based on AK120 FW while Listrid 1.0 is patch AK100 1.33. i suppose version 1.0 you see with Listrid upgrade means AK120 FW 1.0 adapated for AK100.
you can ask Wladrus to confirm if my logic is correct :-D

This has been my understanding too.
post #6499 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Jpe, Listrid 2.0 has gapless and Pro EQ, actually Beta 2.0 has no Pro EQ but offers gapless. Listrid 2.0 is rather based on AK120 FW while Listrid 1.0 is patch AK100 1.33. i suppose version 1.0 you see with Listrid upgrade means AK120 FW 1.0 adapated for AK100.
you can ask Wladrus to confirm if my logic is correct :-D
Thanks guys, that all makes sense as I think the boost was missing (I've already restored 2.01). Might revert to 1.33 and load Listrid 2.0 over that. Should give me the definitive answer.
post #6500 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

Thanks guys, that all makes sense as I think the boost was missing (I've already restored 2.01). Might revert to 1.33 and load Listrid 2.0 over that. Should give me the definitive answer.

Just so you know, Listrid 2.0 works over any version. So actually no need to downgrade to 1.33 before installing Listrid over
post #6501 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonckr View Post


Just so you know, Listrid 2.0 works over any version. So actually no need to downgrade to 1.33 before installing Listrid over

Yup. I downgraded to 1.33 before going to Listrid, but it still said 1.00 on Listrid. Nothing changes.

post #6502 of 8620

i have downgraded from v2.01 to listrid 2.0...

 

Loading/Bootup screen says v2.01, but Software Version shows v1.00. and Boost function is no more. furthermore, Pro EQ and Gapless is still working alright.

post #6503 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalethal View Post

i have downgraded from v2.01 to listrid 2.0...

 

Loading/Bootup screen says v2.01, but Software Version shows v1.00. and Boost function is no more. furthermore, Pro EQ and Gapless is still working alright.

From my memory, listrid has the boost on. You just can't turn it off.

post #6504 of 8620

Yes, one definite way to differentiate Iriver 2 from listrid 2 is that iriver has the switch to boost gain.   If you have that, it means that you are running iriver fw.

 

From my recollection, listrid uses the bootscreen from whatever you had installed previously.   If you installed it over 1.33, then it will boot with 1.33 screen.  However, the ui will still be listrid.  Listrid does not have a unique bootscreen.

post #6505 of 8620
FWIW, I can confirm all the posts since I asked for advice earlier. I have also spent much of the evening listening to many 24/96 and some 24/192 tracks on Listrid 2.0 and was finding it a bit too forward. On Dave Brubeck's Time Out album In 24/176, I found some sibilance on some of Dave's clarinet solos which I don't recall hearing before. I've now reverted to iRiver v2.01 and not only is that sibilance gone, I'm preferring the SQ over Listrid. I think all that says is that we each have different preferences and using different headphones and IEMs we're all going to hear things differently.

But one thing I can safely say is I am liking the RWA mod AK100 very much with my primary cans and IEMs and while 6 months since I sold my standard AK100, would say the RWA is better sounding especially with IEMs.
post #6506 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

 Dave Brubeck's Time Out album In 24/176,

I gotta ask, what's the filesize of that album in 24/176? I have this FLAC version which is 221MB (avg. bitrate 808kbps)


Edited by Achmedisdead - 7/6/13 at 11:29am
post #6507 of 8620
Absolutely HUMONGOUS! The album is 1.78gb. The bit rate is around 6mbps. Take Five is 241.7mb on its own. I've resampled it in 24/88.2 as not all my players handle above 96 sample rate and even that is 786mb. Only HD album I have in that sample rate. I'd run out of storage and download width if I got too many of these. Frankly, I can detect differences between 16/44 and 24/44 but I think I'd need something far mor sensitive than my ears to tell the difference to 24/96 and 24/192. I'm sure others can or claim they can but I reckon they'd have to A/B the tracks without listening to anything else to detect them. And then it would need to be blind testing.

Barring all that, Take Five is one of my most favorite albums and delighted to have it in my HD collection.
post #6508 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

Absolutely HUMONGOUS! The album is 1.78gb. The bit rate is around 6mbps. Take Five is 241.7mb on its own. I've resampled it in 24/88.2 as not all my players handle above 96 sample rate and even that is 786mb. Only HD album I have in that sample rate. I'd run out of storage and download width if I got too many of these. Frankly, I can detect differences between 16/44 and 24/44 but I think I'd need something far mor sensitive than my ears to tell the difference to 24/96 and 24/192. I'm sure others can or claim they can but I reckon they'd have to A/B the tracks without listening to anything else to detect them. And then it would need to be blind testing.

Barring all that, Take Five is one of my most favorite albums and delighted to have it in my HD collection.

 

Wow, that is huge! blink.gif Great album though. smile_phones.gif

post #6509 of 8620

Has anyone auditioned the RWAK100-S yet? I realize that the modification is in its infancy, but I am eager to hear the community's thoughts. Eliminating the software based volume control seems like an intelligent way to improve the SQ by removing another layer of distortion/coloration.

post #6510 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DICOM View Post

Has anyone auditioned the RWAK100-S yet? I realize that the modification is in its infancy, but I am eager to hear the community's thoughts. Eliminating the software based volume control seems like an intelligent way to improve the SQ by removing another layer of distortion/coloration.

I have the AK100S and it is a very very good sounding source! There needs to be a few tweaks yet I feel.

To take one for the boys here, I will be:-

-sending my AK100S back
-sending my Gold AK100 to be modded
-sending my RSA 71B
-sending a pair of either ToGo! 334 or 1plus2

tomorrow to Vinnie so he can fine tune the mod for portable amps.

kkcc heard my AK100S briefly Friday with the 71B and I think he concurs that it is quite a big step up!!

smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by spkrs01 - 7/6/13 at 7:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP