- 29 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productAstell&Kern AK100 Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) Portable Systemtagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on Today at 4:50 pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY Last post on 9/14/13 at 7:41am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 431post #6451 of 81017/5/13 at 4:05amI meant isms...silly spell checker
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6452 of 81017/5/13 at 4:05ampost #6453 of 81017/5/13 at 4:12am
iems? W4. I sold my SE535 about a month ago because I couldn't bear the muffle sound. W4 is very clear and has better bass and treble extension than SE535. It also matches really well with AK100.post #6454 of 81017/5/13 at 4:15amQuote:
Since I'm going to use UERM and UERM hates resistance, I think I will just skip the 3ohm. Thanks for your heads up!post #6455 of 81017/5/13 at 4:45amQuote:
Thanks for the rec....I presume you mean westone 4....I owned westones in the past so I am a little concerned about the build quality...any comments?post #6456 of 81017/5/13 at 4:51amQuote:
Beta 2.0 is better, somehow 2.01 sounds less to me, perhaps placebo effect?post #6457 of 81017/5/13 at 4:51amQuote:
W4 built is solid, cos I am a clumsy person and they r still working perfectpost #6458 of 81017/5/13 at 5:20amQuote:
If build is a major concern, why not go for the R version? W4R has a removable cable, so god forbid, you break the cable, you can easily replace it.post #6459 of 81017/5/13 at 5:27ampost #6460 of 81017/5/13 at 5:32am+1 for the Westone 4Rs. In fact these sound absolutely outstanding with my RWAK100. But if your AK100 is non-mod, I'd suggest you consider the Westone UM3X RC. The RW has a bit more bass volume apparently. So the stronger bass of the UM3X will likely be a bit more musical and fun sounding. I have both and a set of 535 Ltd Ed and either Westone is streets ahead of the Shures.post #6461 of 81017/5/13 at 5:34ampost #6462 of 81017/5/13 at 6:08amQuote:
+1. It would be better to add impedance than to change a cable. Sorry to all cable believers, but I honestly don't think cables makes a huge difference.post #6463 of 81017/5/13 at 6:12amQuote:
You've never experienced it for yourself that's why ;).post #6464 of 81017/5/13 at 6:14amQuote:Originally Posted by Jpfe8851
+1 for the Westone 4Rs. In fact these sound absolutely outstanding with my RWAK100. But if your AK100 is non-mod, I'd suggest you consider the Westone UM3X RC. The RW has a bit more bass volume apparently. So the stronger bass of the UM3X will likely be a bit more musical and fun sounding. I have both and a set of 535 Ltd Ed and either Westone is streets ahead of the Shures.
Also +1 on the 4r, never quite understand the popularity of shure 535 expect for the fact they are easily the most consumer accessible "hi-end' IEM on the market. I have tried it multiple times at shops or with friends and never liked it.
I used to go with silver plated copper cables with my 4r running straight out of my iphone4, provide the best balance in clarity, ample bass, sweet mids, and better treble. With the AK100 I actually like the stock cable better as it sound fuller and have better bass impact.post #6465 of 81017/5/13 at 6:14am
I guess you might be right. I've only tried $100 iem cables. Never went as far as buying a $300 cable. But to me, the $100 I spent on a cable wasn't worth it.
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
- › Band Name Game II 17 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: June 28th, 2013) 5 minutes ago
- › New WA7d Fireflies with Two Digital Inputs 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude