- 40 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 1/21/15 at 7:18am in Portable Source Gear
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 2/8/15 at 8:34am in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 431
Gear mentioned in this thread:
iems? W4. I sold my SE535 about a month ago because I couldn't bear the muffle sound. W4 is very clear and has better bass and treble extension than SE535. It also matches really well with AK100.
Since I'm going to use UERM and UERM hates resistance, I think I will just skip the 3ohm. Thanks for your heads up!
Thanks for the rec....I presume you mean westone 4....I owned westones in the past so I am a little concerned about the build quality...any comments?
Beta 2.0 is better, somehow 2.01 sounds less to me, perhaps placebo effect?
W4 built is solid, cos I am a clumsy person and they r still working perfect
If build is a major concern, why not go for the R version? W4R has a removable cable, so god forbid, you break the cable, you can easily replace it.
+1. It would be better to add impedance than to change a cable. Sorry to all cable believers, but I honestly don't think cables makes a huge difference.
You've never experienced it for yourself that's why ;).
+1 for the Westone 4Rs. In fact these sound absolutely outstanding with my RWAK100. But if your AK100 is non-mod, I'd suggest you consider the Westone UM3X RC. The RW has a bit more bass volume apparently. So the stronger bass of the UM3X will likely be a bit more musical and fun sounding. I have both and a set of 535 Ltd Ed and either Westone is streets ahead of the Shures.
Also +1 on the 4r, never quite understand the popularity of shure 535 expect for the fact they are easily the most consumer accessible "hi-end' IEM on the market. I have tried it multiple times at shops or with friends and never liked it.
I used to go with silver plated copper cables with my 4r running straight out of my iphone4, provide the best balance in clarity, ample bass, sweet mids, and better treble. With the AK100 I actually like the stock cable better as it sound fuller and have better bass impact.
I guess you might be right. I've only tried $100 iem cables. Never went as far as buying a $300 cable. But to me, the $100 I spent on a cable wasn't worth it.
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 29 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-MSR7LTD 4 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 4 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 4 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 5 minutes ago
- › Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3