- 40 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 4/13/14 at 2:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY Last post on 7/18/14 at 2:31am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 431
Gear mentioned in this thread:
iems? W4. I sold my SE535 about a month ago because I couldn't bear the muffle sound. W4 is very clear and has better bass and treble extension than SE535. It also matches really well with AK100.
Since I'm going to use UERM and UERM hates resistance, I think I will just skip the 3ohm. Thanks for your heads up!
Thanks for the rec....I presume you mean westone 4....I owned westones in the past so I am a little concerned about the build quality...any comments?
Beta 2.0 is better, somehow 2.01 sounds less to me, perhaps placebo effect?
W4 built is solid, cos I am a clumsy person and they r still working perfect
If build is a major concern, why not go for the R version? W4R has a removable cable, so god forbid, you break the cable, you can easily replace it.
+1. It would be better to add impedance than to change a cable. Sorry to all cable believers, but I honestly don't think cables makes a huge difference.
You've never experienced it for yourself that's why ;).
+1 for the Westone 4Rs. In fact these sound absolutely outstanding with my RWAK100. But if your AK100 is non-mod, I'd suggest you consider the Westone UM3X RC. The RW has a bit more bass volume apparently. So the stronger bass of the UM3X will likely be a bit more musical and fun sounding. I have both and a set of 535 Ltd Ed and either Westone is streets ahead of the Shures.
Also +1 on the 4r, never quite understand the popularity of shure 535 expect for the fact they are easily the most consumer accessible "hi-end' IEM on the market. I have tried it multiple times at shops or with friends and never liked it.
I used to go with silver plated copper cables with my 4r running straight out of my iphone4, provide the best balance in clarity, ample bass, sweet mids, and better treble. With the AK100 I actually like the stock cable better as it sound fuller and have better bass impact.
I guess you might be right. I've only tried $100 iem cables. Never went as far as buying a $300 cable. But to me, the $100 I spent on a cable wasn't worth it.
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › How bright are Grados? 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!) 2 minutes ago
- › Can you guys help me choose between these headphones? 2 minutes ago
- › New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival... 2 minutes ago
- › HD 598 Replacement 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 4 minutes ago
- › EPH100-SL / JVC FXD80 / BRAINWAVZ M2 - Recommendations appreciated 5 minutes ago
- › Tools for Analyzing the Quality of Mastering 6 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)