Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 394

post #5896 of 8631

AK100 has become overpriced with the imminent arrival of the Fiio X3. Wonder what will iRiver do to counter that.

post #5897 of 8631
Looking forward to firmware that makes this a USB DAC!

Does anyone know if it is easy to open this player and replace the battery?
post #5898 of 8631
Hi AnakChan,

I had no communication from iRiver at all, I didn't even know my AK100 was on its way back until I had a text from the courier saying I had a parcel being delivered.

I think it may have been a problem with the AK100's Boot Code and Sector (well that's what was suggested to me).....I think they may have just taken everything back to factory settings and then reloaded everything including the 1.33 FW. As far as I can tell so far it's working fine with no power up issues at all.
post #5899 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd89 View Post

AK100 has become overpriced with the imminent arrival of the Fiio X3. Wonder what will iRiver do to counter that.

 

I have been giving high praise to James and X3 on delivering great sound for low price. But it doesn't really make AK100 overpriced, quite to the contrary, some may actually find AK100's price more convincing once they get to hold the production X3 units in their hands...... obviously if you value sound and sound alone, X3 would be better value for you.
Edited by kkcc - 6/19/13 at 12:03am
post #5900 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd89 View Post

AK100 has become overpriced with the imminent arrival of the Fiio X3. Wonder what will iRiver do to counter that.

I doubt they will do anything with price of AK100, if they sell ak120 for twice amount of money they ask for ak100, where componential difference is about 20-40$ not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utdeep View Post

Looking forward to firmware that makes this a USB DAC!

Does anyone know if it is easy to open this player and replace the battery?

Opening ak100 is easy, if you have torx t4 screwdriver, and small screwdriver for the insides.

post #5901 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

 

I have been giving high praise to James and X3 on delivering great sound for low price. But it doesn't really make AK100 overpriced, quite to the contrary, some may actually find AK100's price more convincing once they get to hold the production X3 units in their hands...... obviously if you value sound and sound alone, X3 would be better value for you.


Hmm so you think the X3 is on par with the AK100 in terms of sound? Make me curious if it is worth picking up now.....

post #5902 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petru View Post

I doubt they will do anything with price of AK100, if they sell ak120 for twice amount of money they ask for ak100, where componential difference is about 20-40$ not more.

Opening ak100 is easy, if you have torx t4 screwdriver, and small screwdriver for the insides.

 

I'd also recommend using a suction cup to remove the back plate as it's nearly impossible to get anything between the back plate and the case to lever off the back plate.

post #5903 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Hmm so you think the X3 is on par with the AK100 in terms of sound? Make me curious if it is worth picking up now.....

They are on par but different: AK100 has better clarity, wider soundstage, more accurate imaging and more refined sound, X3 has more warmth, density, and higher power.
post #5904 of 8631

Hmm the more warmth I think turned me off then.... :(

post #5905 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by N15M0 View Post

Hi, I've the ak100 paired with the vorzampduo and I'm considering whether or not I would benefit from sending my ak100 for MS mod? I'm using it with the heir 8a. Thanks.

No one?
post #5906 of 8631
Stupid question time but can you connect the ak100 to a pico slim ? If so how ?

Thanks
post #5907 of 8631

Through the HO on the AK100. There is no LO. So unless you have a DAC function on your PICO you can't use the Coaxial.
 

post #5908 of 8631
Jason, congrats, remember it never hurts to ask politely, so Iriver showed they stand by their products, great news and wish you many hours of musical pleasure.

on a side note, i love RWAK with T1 amp and will wait for dx50 and may be x5 to see if buying ak120 makes sense. while i am thinking hard about buying V3 Studio annv edition, just curious about this player but depends on when the other two might be released. Ibasso esp interesting.
Edited by Gintaras - 6/19/13 at 2:46pm
post #5909 of 8631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Jason, congrats, remember it never hurts to ask politely, so Iriver showed they stand by their products, great news and wish you many hours of musical pleasure.

on a side note, i love RWAK with T1 amp and will wait for dx50 and may be x5 to see if buying ak120 makes sense. while i am thinking hard about buying V3 Studio annv edition, just curious about this player but depends on when the other two might be released. Ibasso esp interesting.

 

If size isn't an issue I don't see much point in switching to an AK120.  It make sense to wait for the next batch of DAPs.

post #5910 of 8631

Hello all

 

Now that I am also a happy owner of Fiio X3, I am faced with the decision to either send out the AK100 for the RWAK mod or buying a ibasso D12 to enhance the sound. Currently, I do not own hard to drive iem for portable use, so would the latter make more sense in terms of improving SQ?
 

Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP