well it never appeared in the finder since it was still UN-Succesfully "Connecting USB - Do not disconnect"
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 10/9/16 at 12:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 10/29/16 at 8:08am in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Want something a bit better sounding than your cell phone, with the ability to carry your whole lossless music collection? Enter, Sony Walkman NW-A35. This new release from Sony features five...
Introduction Reviewer Introduction Product Introduction Technical Specifications Sound Quality Signature Overview Sound...
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 351
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I read this... after the installation of the Russian Firmware.
But now I am stuck..... since I cannot access the AK100's memory by USB, how can I install 1.33 back ???
Try another OS?
Same here. Still says I'm on v1.32 when I re-boot. :knocksonwood: but no issues so far. Still loving gapless, finally, on this device. I can't believe how much I take something simple like that for granted
I am looking for a recommendation for head phones that I can use in the office, I am thinking Sen Momentums, would welcome thoughts
Any update b?
I loaded an RWAK100 with SW 1.30 and then loaded the Russian SW (to try and replicate the problem you are having) and see
your problem. My MAC nor PC will not see the unit when "Connecting USB - Do not disconnect."
I'll look into it some more...
I just finished doing a quick test between a STOCK AK100 with 1.33 and STOCK AK100 with the Russian SW. Using a 16/44.1 WAV file of a 1kHz test tone (0dBm), setting the volume to max (75), EQ OFF, and measuring the RMS voltage at the output jack with NO load connected, I get:
STOCK AK100 with 1.33 = 1.02 Vrms
STOCK AK100 with the Russian SW = 1.52 Vrms.
So we are looking at a approx. 3.5dB difference output between the two.... which can definitely be heard.
I know that the "de-emphasis mode ON" takes away around 3dB of signal in the dac before the d/a conversion takes place - so it is possible that whoever came out with this patch also turned OFF de-emphasis in the software (as the WM8740 dac in the AK100 is ran in "software mode" - not "hardware mode").
I have a prototype modded RWAK100 with a WM8741 dac (dac configured in hardware mode and using a 'minimal phase' digital filter setting that has been hardware configured for the dac. Digital volume control
is completely bypassed from the chain - so no digital attenuation used for the data. When I measure the output voltage of the same file above (in the same configuration) with SW 1.33, I get 1.8Vrms. When I load the Russian SW, I still get 1.8Vrms.... so running in HW mode and completely bypassing the digital volume control is proven to give true MAX line-out capability (I believe the 0.2Vrms difference to the datasheet's 2Vrms is because I was still using the headphone output stage, which will be bypassed. The headphone output stage is a voltage follower and topology and seems to drop about 0.2Vrms, but provides the current required to drive headphones).
That's it for now... I hope this helps,
So Vinnie are you able to load the 1.33 stock firmware via a Windows PC and then revert to the Russian firmware to resolve this issue or is this a common issue on all macs regardless of the steps?
You can check if the disk is still present by using the Disk Utility in Application/Utilities/ even if it doesn't mount.
Alas sounds a lot like what happened to me when I re-formatted the internal drive at the time, not knowing it would alter the partition table and thus nuke the access to the internal storage... no way the extremely small boot partition could be used to load the firmware updater. (I think they have added some protection in the firmware following that).
Ultimately I had to send it in for a repair, and they reflashed/reformatted it in some diagnostic mode (I assume) & re-installed the then-current firmware... Luckily they were nice enough to do it under warranty, and also being in the general L.A. area made for a relatively short turn-around.
Not sure I'm willing to gamble on another somewhat dodgy unofficial firmware after that... but if what was posted earlier is true, then it proves that gapless playback IS only a firmware issue, and there are no excuses for iRiver....
I was able to load from 1.33 back to 1.30. Then load Russian SW. But had same problem as bmichels. Now it cannot connect the AK100 to the Mac (or PC) - so
DO NOT load the Russian SW unless you have 1.33 loaded. With another RWAK100 I loaded from 1.33 to Russian SW and so far, so good...
I'm trying to help bmichels, but it is possible we bricked our RWAK100s by going from 1.30 to Russian SW --- I need to look into another way to recover it.
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton -... 35 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 52 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 5 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 5 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear