Anyone spent any real time with it and experimented with different configurations? Or are you wading in with ill-informed speculation? Head-Fi really is becoming an unbearable catalogue of fanboyism, speculation and shilling!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 6/14/16 at 11:00am in Portable Source Gear
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 4/20/16 at 5:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 35
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Iriver is up to their same old pattern. I was hoping they'd come back with a vengeance,...not put out overpriced flawed flotsam.
+1 . Quite sad actually
There's quite a difference between speculation and the actual specifications regarding this player. That is approaching this from a purely scientific-standpoint. The measurements are garnering the negative feedback and rightfully so. If you want to take the risk and even double amp to make it acceptable then by all means I'd love to hear your opinion on it. What iRiver originally touted this player for is IEMs but that is clearly not logical taking into consideration the player's high output impedance. Yes you can work around it and purchase certain gear to use it but that at the same time also really defeats the purpose of buying this unit. Especially at this price point. Spend just a little more an you have the King of DAPs.
Edited by lee730 - 11/16/12 at 10:58am
We do use what we already have, Westone, Shure etc.but we don't want to buy another IEM or headphones especially for this DAP.Even Clip+ wich is 30$ is perfect with all the IEM's.
Oh, I never use stock headphones that come with a player. My point is, and what you may be missing, is that why should you be required to use headphones/IEM's that are limited to certain specs. Then I'm forced to use those hp's/iem's with that device only? Or be required to use them with an amp on-the-go or hooked up @home to a high powered system? The player should be compatible with what you have already purchased,...not be required to make me spend more $$$ just so it'll sound acceptable.
Agreed. I also think this sets a bad precedent: Basically Iriver creates a DAP that is flawed by design, and then they sell/promote "compatible" earphones designed with a counteracting flaw, making both products relatively worthless on their own. This is not all that different from for example Apple introducing their new dock connector that breaks accessory compatibility (though Apple's move is more justified, I think). What will Iriver do with the future AK200 (or whatever), maybe give it a square headphone plug? What if all major manufacturers start developing means to ensure that only their endorsed accessories are compatible, and of course only those of the current generation? There are good reasons for standards, and one should be cautious in supporting companies who break them.
Agreed 100%. They messed up and want to cover it up with excuses. Instead of going back and fixing the root of the problem. This makes me question them as a legitimate manufacturer even more. Not to mention hearing some of the issues they had just before completely disappearing from the market. At this price point I just can't see an excuse to support it. Imagine if they fixed the output impedance issue though this unit would surely sell like hotcakes and they'd make a lot more money than by taking the lazy way out.
Edited by lee730 - 11/16/12 at 3:49pm
Then everyone could listen to their Cher albums in 24/96!
lol I actually like her greatest hits album in 24/48 :). Still sounds really good. Organic sounding :P. Been actually using a lot more 24/192 and 24/96 files on my DX100 since the update as it really now makes it worth having such files on the unit. Before it wasn't comparable to my desktop rig in resolving power. Now it very much is :).
Edited by lee730 - 11/16/12 at 4:08pm
What if all major manufacturers start developing means to ensure that only their endorsed accessories are compatible, and of course only those of the current generation? There are good reasons for standards, and one should be cautious in supporting companies who break them.
Sony does it all the time: Betamax, MiniDisc, Memory Stick, mini-hotshoe connectors, etc. What about non-standard batteries? Almost every phone, camera, video camera, etc. seems to have proprietary batteries.
Maybe you should, I am sure if you design a number of IEM specifically tuned for this DAP you will make alot of new customers from the Japanes market. It seems like this DAP is well received in the Japanes market!
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Cyrus SoundKey portable DAC 25 seconds ago
- › DT990 Pro Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › choose monitoring headphone for rap mixing & master between... 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › DSD256 Downsampling issues! 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 7 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...