Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 333

post #4981 of 8337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Loq, cannot agree on this, sorry. I have RWAK and T1 and i find this pair hard to fault.
You right in saying RWAK can perform well on his own, and i love it since not every time i want to carry amp.
However when i add T1 it helps a great deal to blacken background space and magically removes some stress from RWAK. The player itself can sound a bit edgy in treble and will go messy on busy recordings and complex transients, if you doubt this please play YES album Magnification compositions 2, 3 and 9 if my memory is correct, you will note what happens to RWAK on the composition called Dreamtime and then perhaps you will better see my point. Otherwise you are welcome to try soundtrack record from movie Eyes wide shut, which is one of my favorite albums to test pricey gear, fun for me and often helps to turn sellers into pale :-)

So i would say T1 for me is not thining out anything but helps to remove small digitis stress from RWAK presentation and blacken space that helps air and timbre and brings naturalness to decay.

Thanks Gintaras, I'll try some further testing. I've posted since that first one that the IC I used was altering the sound, but I haven't done any thorough listening with a different IC. I'll try tomorrow and listen for what you've mentioned.
post #4982 of 8337
Loq, why not give a try to T1 stock cable? i found this to be of great quality and sound. Before upgrading IC give this a try, you may want save some pennies with it :-)
post #4983 of 8337
I've got a bunch of ICs now so tried some others to confirm that the silver one was the main cause of sound changes between amped / un-amped RWAK100.
post #4984 of 8337
If my iem is trifi 10 pro, is it worth to mod my ak100 to RWAK100 or MS-AK100? I'm using vorzuge duo as my amp
post #4985 of 8337

If you are amping the AK100 there is no major reason why one should mod in unless they want a louder output impedance. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri87 View Post

If my iem is trifi 10 pro, is it worth to mod my ak100 to RWAK100 or MS-AK100? I'm using vorzuge duo as my amp
post #4986 of 8337
But I thought an amped modded AK100 has better SQ than an amped stock AK100?
post #4987 of 8337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri87 View Post

But I thought an amped modded AK100 has better SQ than an amped stock AK100?

Well it can due to the different interenal wiring they used for bypassing but if you are going to amp it than I assume the amp will make more of a difference. You already planning to pair it with a nice amp, those who want to mod their AK100 do it simply because they dont want to carry around an amp. 

post #4988 of 8337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri87 View Post

But I thought an amped modded AK100 has better SQ than an amped stock AK100?

I amp my RWAK100 with the same amp as you, Vorzamp duo. I havent heard the stock AK100 with the Vorzamp, but I have to say this pairing really gives me peace of mind. It's easy to just disconnect the amp when I need real portability and I still get the full dynamic range of the RWAK, even when using sensitive HP's.

post #4989 of 8337
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmBOS View Post

I amp my RWAK100 with the same amp as you, Vorzamp duo. I havent heard the stock AK100 with the Vorzamp, but I have to say this pairing really gives me peace of mind. It's easy to just disconnect the amp when I need real portability and I still get the full dynamic range of the RWAK, even when using sensitive HP's.

+1 on this

post #4990 of 8337
Which means if I have an amp, I do not necessarily need to mod my ak100?
post #4991 of 8337
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamechops View Post

Which means if I have an amp, I do not necessarily need to mod my ak100?

 

Correct. If you will always use the amp with lower impedance IEMs etc. then no mod required. If you want the freedom to use the AK100 without an amp then modding is recommended.

post #4992 of 8337
Oh I see...haha thanks...I shall save this money for CIEM then... Cos' I thought a modded ak100 will be better than a stock ak100 when u amp them since the dap is a better one
post #4993 of 8337
Back on database problems, is anyone getting perfect scans. With the current firmware and last firmware I get a full song list but only albums and artists that precede the letter A. With firmware 1.30 I get full album and artists but the song list is empty. I'm using a stock AK100 with two 64gb cards and music on both. There are over 8000 songs but well less than 10,000.
post #4994 of 8337

Is there any company that modding ak 100 in EU??? I was interested in an MS-ak100, but tax authorities in our country accounts 21% tax and 10% duty upon receipt of goods outside the EU.

post #4995 of 8337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radament View Post

Is there any company that modding ak 100 in EU??? I was interested in an MS-ak100, but tax authorities in our country accounts 21% tax and 10% duty upon receipt of goods outside the EU.

Mezzo did a fine job on my customs invoice, I bet you could be just as lucky. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP