Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 297

post #4441 of 8516

Indeed interesting the differences made by the caps. I believe they cleaned some of the "dust" (noises) along the circuit path. This may explains why it sounds more detailed with that clarity and instrument separations without the muddiness. It sounds more airy after getting rid of the junky. My EX1000 has an airy sounding, but boy with the mod the airy sounding is expanded. Truly amazing.

 

The extended lows are really the icing on the cake. It improves the 3d imaging and sound stage IMO. Also I notice the vol does not take away or cloud anything.


Edited by DMinor - 4/25/13 at 6:38pm
post #4442 of 8516

So have the mods indeed been confirmed as cap replacements? I thought it also entailed bypassing the resistor with special wire.

post #4443 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

So have the mods indeed been confirmed as cap replacements? I thought it also entailed bypassing the resistor with special wire.

 

The bypass is stage 1 as I understand it (I think I remember it being discussed earlier in the thread). Basically, I think stage 1 is similar to the RWA modification, but using different wire (RWA uses Cardas copper litz whereas I think rudi's friend uses a copper/gold hybrid).

 

Beyond that, stage 2 remains an intriguing mystery! tongue_smile.gif

post #4444 of 8516
Thread Starter 

wrong thread. deleted,srry

post #4445 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

I think rudi's friend uses a copper/gold hybrid).

 

Beyond that, stage 2 remains an intriguing mystery! tongue_smile.gif

 

Heard of Silver+Gold wire, but never heard of Copper+Gold, so the mystery is even more intriguing than before!

post #4446 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

So have the mods indeed been confirmed as cap replacements? I thought it also entailed bypassing the resistor with special wire.

I used a special oxygen free very high purity silver. It was made for me by an acquaintance in the fine metals business. I will take it above anything else on the market. 

post #4447 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I used a special oxygen free very high purity silver. It was made for me by an acquaintance in the fine metals business. I will take it above anything else on the market. 

I always lean toward a pure, single metal wire too. I have had mixed experiences with hybrid combinations.
post #4448 of 8516

I've finally found a real flaw with the AK100. It sounds so great with good recordings that poor recordings make it sound like there's something seriously wrong! tongue_smile.gif

 

I was listening to a track that I knew wasn't a great recording, but today I heard all kinds of glitches and noise in the recording - it sounded awful! Of course I could be upset about the AK100 ruining a track that I previously loved, but then a couple of well-recorded tracks came on and I forgot about the other one completely.

 

It's rare for the AK100 to murder a track - it's generally fairly kind, but if the recording's bad enough....


Edited by Loquah - 4/25/13 at 11:45pm
post #4449 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


PM send


Would you please PM me too? I also want to know more about the "stage 2 mod".

I have sent a PM to you. Please check~ THANKS!

post #4450 of 8516

I have received the borrowed RWA AK100 this morning, the black one...................

 

Haven't listened properly yet, as I had to do a little spring cleaning, someone was complaining, so everything needs to be put in the drawer.....normal_smile%20.gif

 

 

 

post #4451 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

I have received the borrowed RWA AK100 this morning, the black one...................

 

Haven't listened properly yet, as I had to do a little spring cleaning, someone was complaining, so everything needs to be put in the drawer.....normal_smile%20.gif

 

 

 

I can help you clean all of this AWAY.

post #4452 of 8516

Can lie I hope one day I end up buying the colorfly C4 with all its major issues. that is a mighty collection you got there Gavin, congrats. 

=-=-=--=-=-=

Ended up purchasing the F111, I had to test it for myself.

post #4453 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I can help you clean all of this AWAY.

 

Sell you the DX100 Sundaynormal_smile%20.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Can lie I hope one day I end up buying the colorfly C4 with all its major issues. that is a mighty collection you got there Gavin, congrats. 

=-=-=--=-=-=

Ended up purchasing the F111, I had to test it for myself.

 

The C4 is actually one fine sounding player but as you mentioned...it can be very frustrating with Hi Rez files which sounds gorgeous but even with Redbook files you need to use slow SD cards...NO Class 10, otherwise ERROR is the message you get half way through a song...................

post #4454 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

 

Ended up purchasing the F111, I had to test it for myself.

 

How do you like the F111? I have auditioned it a few times and find it very nice and loved the fact it that it sounded so good out of a smartphone! 

post #4455 of 8516

I just made the purchase, till it comes from Japan it will be a good week or so. I do not want to be  a devils advocate and considering the fine amps I see on your table you might not be moved by this amp but I have been greatly enjoying the MHd-Q7, as AnakChan said it is fine under-appreciated amp.  Very suitable for IEM and probably over-priced but still I am very amazed on its performance and battery life considering it is using two double A batteries!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

How do you like the F111? I have auditioned it a few times and find it very nice and loved the fact it that it sounded so good out of a smartphone! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP