Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 255

post #3811 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiaen View Post

The volume knob is really a turn off >< and i dont want to spend another 40$+ just for a piece of plastic to protect it. Anyone found a solution on how to keep it safe? 


It doesn't actually attach to the volume control pot directly. It is very solid, even though it doesn't feel that way. I have had the unit apart and it is fine. The knob is aluminum and there is a nice set screw internally to hold it in place. I actually like the way they did this as there is zero stress on the device that actually changes the volume.

post #3812 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiaen View Post

The volume knob is really a turn off >< and i dont want to spend another 40$+ just for a piece of plastic to protect it. Anyone found a solution on how to keep it safe? 

 

As I was saying last night the new case does the job and I am able to leave the volume knob live, without worry

 

 


Edited by spkrs01 - 4/10/13 at 7:57pm
post #3813 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post


It doesn't actually attach to the volume control pot directly. It is very solid, even though it doesn't feel that way. I have had the unit apart and it is fine. The knob is aluminum and there is a nice set screw internally to hold it in place. I actually like the way they did this as there is zero stress on the device that actually changes the volume.

this sound reassuring 

 

thanks

 

side story:

When my brother came home and saw the RWAK100. He ask me what it is and how much is it , i told him a music player around 800$ then suddenly he tried it with the Heir 4.ai and kept telling me there's nothing special about it. He is using a Iphone 4s and Ipad with stock earphone and doesnt really have any idea on HiFi. He kept telling me i got scammed and tricked on buying expensive stuff even though im not a professional musician/DJ and told me to just buy beats because its look better. well even my co workers doesnt get it anway i guess this really isnt for everybody and some people are just blinded aesthetically.

post #3814 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

As I was saying last night the new case does the job and I am able to leave the volume know live, without worry

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

my dignis leather case just arrive today and i only saw this like a couple of hours ago and couldnt find it online. and flip case really isnt my style they make things a bit bulky.

post #3815 of 8763

can i ask how much did that case cost Gavin?

post #3816 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

can i ask how much did that case cost Gavin?

 

PM you

post #3817 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

Does it sound better than TP? AK100 has larger output impedance than TP. A bit weird if Miracles sounds better with AK100 than with TP.

 

No I still prefer the overall TP sound sig, but they are very different. The AK100 has more punch but the Tera sounds much more liquid and natural. The TP sounds wonderful with the Miracles, but has no deep bass AT ALL. So depending on the track you could notice the problem or not.

 

The AK100 drives the Miracles without any problem to my ears, which shows that it is not the output impedance that is the problem on the Miracles with the Tera, but like James444 said:

 

"Capacitors in the output stage: The TP has been reported to having capacitors in the output stage and not being able to drive phones < 50ohms properly. The result is bass roll-off, which gets gradually worse with lower impedance. Note that this affects all types of IEMs, dynamic drivers as well as BAs. For instance, the 16ohms IE800 show a substantial reduction in bass when driven from the TP."

post #3818 of 8763

thanks

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

PM you

 
post #3819 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiaen View Post

this sound reassuring 

 

thanks

 

side story:

When my brother came home and saw the RWAK100. He ask me what it is and how much is it , i told him a music player around 800$ then suddenly he tried it with the Heir 4.ai and kept telling me there's nothing special about it. He is using a Iphone 4s and Ipad with stock earphone and doesnt really have any idea on HiFi. He kept telling me i got scammed and tricked on buying expensive stuff even though im not a professional musician/DJ and told me to just buy beats because its look better. well even my co workers doesnt get it anway i guess this really isnt for everybody and some people are just blinded aesthetically.


It is a scam. I don't even have a dap. I just enjoy seeing everyone thinking they are hearing good music, when they could do the same thing with any cheap smart phone. :^)

post #3820 of 8763
So what are the chances of seeing pics of the mod to fix output impedance? There are some great DIY guides for iMod. Would love to see same for AK100.

On another note, it's interesting that AK100 gets caned for 22ohm output impedance, but Tera Player doesn't. I know TP has 10ohm option, buy that's still technically way off the mark for low impedance IEMs.
post #3821 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

So what are the chances of seeing pics of the mod to fix output impedance? There are some great DIY guides for iMod. Would love to see same for AK100.

On another note, it's interesting that AK100 gets caned for 22ohm output impedance, but Tera Player doesn't. I know TP has 10ohm option, buy that's still technically way off the mark for low impedance IEMs.


I didn't take any images when I did mine. You are working with some tiny smds and tiny traces so you have to be careful. There is a soldering point before the 22ohm resistor.

post #3822 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post


It is a scam. I don't even have a dap. I just enjoy seeing everyone thinking they are hearing good music, when they could do the same thing with any cheap smart phone. :^)


I just listen to a portable radio. I don't like any specific music, anything that is playing and has bass is fine.

post #3823 of 8763

Well just as a lot of the music of today has down hill. So has peoples taste ;)...
 

post #3824 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

As I was saying last night the new case does the job and I am able to leave the volume knob live, without worry

 

Warning: Beautiful! case pic! (Click to show)

What does the top side of the case look like (where the HP out is)? Where can I buy it?

post #3825 of 8763
I haven't open my TP (yet..) but output cap can indeed be the problem. Getting a bit technical here, TP amp is probably a single positive supply amp so output cap (coupling, in series) is needed to block a dc signal and reduce click and pop. Typically, 100uF is used to get adequate bass response with 16ohm headphone but in some cases this might not be enough, like with the miracle. Big chance that Charles uses smaller cap if cut off freq is calculated with 50ohm (portapro impedance).

The AK100 in the other hand probably uses a proper pos/neg rail supply or an extra amp for the ground so output cap is not needed. Technically this is superior than a single positive supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

No I still prefer the overall TP sound sig, but they are very different. The AK100 has more punch but the Tera sounds much more liquid and natural. The TP sounds wonderful with the Miracles, but has no deep bass AT ALL. So depending on the track you could notice the problem or not.

The AK100 drives the Miracles without any problem to my ears, which shows that it is not the output impedance that is the problem on the Miracles with the Tera, but like James444 said:

"Capacitors in the output stage: The TP has been reported to having capacitors in the output stage and not being able to drive phones < 50ohms properly. The result is bass roll-off, which gets gradually worse with lower impedance. Note that this affects all types of IEMs, dynamic drivers as well as BAs. For instance, the 16ohms IE800 show a substantial reduction in bass when driven from the TP."

Edited by Jazzyfi - 4/10/13 at 11:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP