Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 26

post #376 of 8620

great review !

post #377 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post

Is it possible for you to re-rip your music to flac?
Converting alac to flac is considering transcoding and some what degrade the sq.
Quite surprise that this small dap can drive lcd3 to an acceptable level.
But the biggest question is are you happy with your purchase?

 

Good review! I do no think there is any degradation going from FALC to ALAC and back. At lest I think that is what I've read here on H.F. But I'd like to know for sure. Where did you get your info?
post #378 of 8620

Thanks for your review, VisceriousZERO, can you make a video  as well?

Happy to see that this is made in Korea :) How is the sound compared to iBasso, if you can compare them, and if you can try it with Westone 4R will be awesome. Is the screen LCD, or OLED?

WE waiting for more impressions from you. Also is there a need for this DAP to be burned in?

Thanks, Levi

post #379 of 8620

Converting from FLAC to ALAC should not degrade the file. You are dealing with Lossless to Lossless. Now if the program you are using isn't up to task then it would be the program degrading the file. I'd say if you are really paranoid expand the file back to WAV then convert to whatever lossless format you will.
 

post #380 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

 

Good review!I do no think there is any degradation going from FALC to ALAC and back. At lest I think that is what I've read here on H.F. But I'd like to know for sure. Where did you get your info?

 

I cannot recall where I read that article from.(definitely not from head fi)

 

But according to the article(in my memory) each time you re-encode a file you will lose a small bit of the original quality

(they shown some spectrogram graph and stuff it is definitely less after each time of re-encoding) there minimum effect with flac to flac file but for flac to alac I don't remember if they tested it or I just did take a good look compare to flac-flac/flac-mp3 ones.

 

For mp3(lossy format) definitely have filter off **** tons of stuff when they tried it(as expected of a lossy which applied low and high pass filters).

It is just something I suggest to consider to rule out all doubt.

 

I remember the transcode thing because after I read the article and going to test it myselves I found out that quit a lot of files in my library are transcoded(most of them are bought from the very nice seller called pirate bay sells stuff for cheapz if you know what I mean).


Edited by Tamz - 10/31/12 at 10:56am
post #381 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post

Aight here, let me try...

...snip....

:) Thanks for viewing!

 

 

First timerwink.gif.....I think you have the "Head-fi talent"....Thank you.


Edited by turokrocks - 10/31/12 at 11:48pm
post #382 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post

 

I cannot recall where I read that article from.(definitely not from head fi)

 

But according to the article(in my memory) each time you re-encode a file you will lose a small bit of the original quality

(they shown some spectrogram graph and stuff it is definitely less after each time of re-encoding) there minimum effect with flac to flac file but for flac to alac I don't remember if they tested it or I just did take a good look compare to flac-flac/flac-mp3 ones.

 

For mp3(lossy format) definitely have filter off **** tons of stuff when they tried it(as expected of a lossy which applied low and high pass filters).

It is just something I suggest to consider to rule out all doubt.

 

I remember the transcode thing because after I read the article and going to test it myselves I found out that quit a lot of files in my library are transcoded(most of them are bought from the very nice seller called pirate bay sells stuff for cheapz if you know what I mean).

 

 

Logic, just pure logic.

post #383 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

Thanks for your review, VisceriousZERO, can you make a video  as well?
Happy to see that this is made in Korea smily_headphones1.gif How is the sound compared to iBasso, if you can compare them, and if you can try it with Westone 4R will be awesome. Is the screen LCD, or OLED?
WE waiting for more impressions from you. Also is there a need for this DAP to be burned in?
Thanks, Levi


Video is scary. Haha just kidding xD i'll see if i can put one up? Never done oit before..

I'd like to try to compare the sound with the DX100/HDP-R10.

I'll ask a friend if i could borrow his 4R for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence xD i'll see whst i can do smily_headphones1.gif
post #384 of 8620

Please let us know when the video review is ready, and thank you very much for that.Test the iRiver with Westone 4R if you can.that will be awesome.wink_face.gif

post #385 of 8620

Interesting, thanks for the review. Just wonder if the volume wheel would accidentally changed the volume when the player is put inside the pocket?

post #386 of 8620

Thanks for the review. So far, would you say that the AK100 doesn't go so well with low-impedance gear like IEMs like others in the thread have theorized?

post #387 of 8620

Interested in this DAP but not much info is found in English, especially about the output impedance issue. So I decided to contact iriver directly about the low impedance issue. Here's their response:

 

 

Quote:

To support headphones with high output impedance is the reason why the Astell&Kern has a high impedance output and so that users can listen to high-definition music at least below 7mW. Based on our testing, music quality and volume is insufficient to listen to hi-def music if the power wattage does not reach at least 7mW or less. We do not recommend users to use low quality earbuds and/or in ear microphones (IEMs), but rather high quality headsets and/or studio monitors with a higher impedance range from 30- 300 ohms. In fact, we recommend using headsets and earphones/IEMs with specifications greater than 40 ohms of output impedance and at least 98 dBSPL/mW or higher.

 

Please refer to the chart and formula below:

 

Headphone Resistance 

16ohm

32ohm

72ohm

150ohm

Astell&Kern

1.5^2/16 = 140mW 

1.5^2/32 = 70mW

1.5^2/72= 30mW

1.5^2/150= 15mW

 

P = V (Output of A&K) ^2 / R (Resistance of Headphones)

 

Risks of using earbuds with low impedance:

  • Because of the high voltage output of the Astell&Kern (1.5 Vrms), it may exceed the output of low-quality and capacity in ear monitors (IEMs). The high output may also cause excessive heat and shortage in low-quality earbuds and IEMs.
  • Because of the high output power of the A&K, using low quality IEMs and earbuds may cause a reverse flow of power from the earbuds to the internal circuits and DAC of the A&K, causing malfunction of the A&K.
  • The high output impedance also prevents circuit shortage from electrostatic discharge.

 

The Astell&Kern is available now in South Korea, Japan, parts of Europe. It will be available soon in the United States and around the world.

 

What do you guys think about this? Are they right? 

post #388 of 8620
I think it's time to unsubscribe. Low quality earbuds - right.
I've never really understood the desire to create ultra portable equipment only tailored towards fullsize headphones.
post #389 of 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I think it's time to unsubscribe. Low quality earbuds - right.
I've never really understood the desire to create ultra portable equipment only tailored towards fullsize headphones.


Sounds like they are just spewing out a bunch of horse-$h%t to cover up for their mess up. There is a reason why I sold my full size headphones and prefer IEMs. Unsubscribed.... rolleyes.gif

post #390 of 8620

unsubscribed 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP