Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 23

post #331 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbat View Post

Hi guys,

I'll first give AnakChan's first impression of the player. He told me he didn't see much difference between the DX100 and the AK100, but that the DX100 has a more 3D like presentation.

As far as I'm concerned, when I tried it yesterday, I wasn't really impressed with what I've heard. Some things are done well, but some others are lacking. With my T15, the bass and mid were not very clean and bass was slightly emphasized. And I couldn't shake a funny feeling of "fuzzy sound". I tried the DX100 later on, and it sounded clearer to me.

I tried a few different songs, especially Spanish Harlem and Hotel California from Hell freezes over. In particular, Rebecca Pidgeon's voice wasn't as clear as it should be. I had the feeling the edges were not clearly defined, and that's just doesn' sit right with me. Hotel California was not bad, bass impact was there, even if slightly emphasized, but instrument separation might have been better (I'll reconfirm this point today if possible).

On the good part for the AK100, I don't think there's any roll-off, and details are there. Build is solid and the UI is responsive. Only thing I have doubts about is the battery life.

As to the RMAA results on ebay (assuming they can be trusted of course), taking in account that RMAA is not always the best tool around, and that the 16 ohms load is probably a resistor (better than nothing though), the numbers are nothing out of the ordinary. Crosstalk is average at best, which could explain for AnakChan's impressions. Comparing that with the 300 ohms load, the results are clearly worse, which just shows that this DAP isn't well suited for IEMs. 

My personal conclusion : I'll stay with my T51 and Pico Slim for now.

EDIT : Please keep in mind that this a comparison at a trade show, without volume matching, most likely at a higher volume than what I listen usually, and standing in front of a table.

lol, load measurements on iriver site. lol
post #332 of 8516

Wow, just looked at it. The "no load" measurement was already worrying me in the official introduction page. But seriously -120dB of cross-talk ?!? No way !

Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post

lol, load measurements on iriver site. lol

 

Here is the original page in korean, with the RMAA measurements : http://www.cdpkorea.com/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=297

 

No load / 16 ohms / 300 ohms results :

 

The FR curve should be ruler flat with a 16 ohms dummy load. It's already slightly emphasized in the bass. Cross-talk is 40db higher than the advertised number !! The instrument separation has to suffer in some way.

 

Gentlemen, behold audio marketing at its finest !

post #333 of 8516

As I figured. This is garbage. The only way to make it useable is to use it as a transport which is BS for $600.00. If they stripped it of the DAC and amp section and made it $200.00 then it would be worth it. What a joke....
 

post #334 of 8516

Well if I do get my hands on one, I will join it with a headphone designed by Keyser & Sozeregular_smile%20.gif

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

Reply
post #335 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post

Well if I do get my hands on one, I will join it with a headphone designed by Keyser & Sozeregular_smile%20.gif


You know you could always make a BA IEM with 600 Ohm output ;). lol

post #336 of 8516
Hey, I don't know. There's so many here that swear "RMAA testing isn't everything".

Me, like I said, it's a ***FAIL***

Well, I'm permanently outta this thread. Please pm me if something changes,...but I seriously doubt that. rolleyes.gif
post #337 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post

Hey, I don't know. There's so many here that swear "RMAA testing isn't everything".
Me, like I said, it's a ***FAIL***
Well, I'm permanently outta this thread. Please pm me if something changes,...but I seriously doubt that. rolleyes.gif


Well RMAA testing doesn't mean everything. But this is one aspect that I cannot ignore and nor can my ears... wink_face.gif

post #338 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbat View Post

 

Gentlemen, behold audio marketing at its finest !

HEY now, who you calling Gentlemen! LOL

 

I'm outa here too.

post #339 of 8516
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I would think the tg334 would experience quite a boost between 1 and 5k with 22 ohms z. Maybe Inks or Tomscy2000 could comment on the impedance graph of the tg334.

 

On the TG334, impedance reduces bass, boosts regions 1-5k (3k getting the most boost), reduces 6-10k but treble extension will be improved a bit. The extent of each effect (by how many dBs are the boost and dips) and what's the impedance sweetspot can only be determined via more specific measurements. It makes closer to the compared ER4PT response. 


Edited by Inks - 10/27/12 at 10:58pm
post #340 of 8516
Thread Starter 

I tried the iRiver AK100 today at the Tokyo headphone show.

 

It was good, clear, a seemingly black-ish background - not as black as the Tera Player from memory. But there was no `Ooh, I like it` factor for me like when I tried the new Hifiman 901.

 

But with these things its often down to the individuals ears and tastes I must admit (measurements aside).

 

*Tested with my ATH-ESW9.

post #341 of 8516

Agreed. Out of the 2, the HM-901 is the one I'd like to try again in a proper environment. Now if only it wasn't so expensive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

I tried the iRiver AK100 today at the Tokyo headphone show.

 

It was good, clear, a seemingly black-ish background - not as black as the Tera Player from memory. But there was no `Ooh, I like it` factor for me like when I tried the new Hifiman 901.

 

But with these things its often down to the individuals ears and tastes I must admit (measurements aside).

 

*Tested with my ATH-ESW9.

post #342 of 8516

I think if they fix that 22 ohm output for the iRiver AK100 and fix the price around 600 usd, this can be a great DAP.

Let's not forget the HM901, around the corner, Fiio X3 andd the Pono, is going to be a tough choice, for the best/money value DAP.

post #343 of 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbat View Post

Hi guys,

 

I'll first give AnakChan's first impression of the player. He told me he didn't see much difference between the DX100 and the AK100, but that the DX100 has a more 3D like presentation.

 

As far as I'm concerned, when I tried it yesterday, I wasn't really impressed with what I've heard. Some things are done well, but some others are lacking. With my T15, the bass and mid were not very clean and bass was slightly emphasized. And I couldn't shake a funny feeling of "fuzzy sound". I tried the DX100 later on, and it sounded clearer to me.

 

I tried a few different songs, especially Spanish Harlem and Hotel California from Hell freezes over. In particular, Rebecca Pidgeon's voice wasn't as clear as it should be. I had the feeling the edges were not clearly defined, and that's just doesn' sit right with me. Hotel California was not bad, bass impact was there, even if slightly emphasized, but instrument separation might have been better (I'll reconfirm this point today if possible).

 

On the good part for the AK100, I don't think there's any roll-off, and details are there. Build is solid and the UI is responsive. Only thing I have doubts about is the battery life.

 

As to the RMAA results on ebay (assuming they can be trusted of course), taking in account that RMAA is not always the best tool around, and that the 16 ohms load is probably a resistor (better than nothing though), the numbers are nothing out of the ordinary. Crosstalk is average at best, which could explain for AnakChan's impressions. Comparing that with the 300 ohms load, the results are clearly worse, which just shows that this DAP isn't well suited for IEMs. 

 

My personal conclusion : I'll stay with my T51 and Pico Slim for now.

 

EDIT : Please keep in mind that this a comparison at a trade show, without volume matching, most likely at a higher volume than what I listen usually, and standing in front of a table.

Thank you for the update, correct me you mentioned T15 and T51, is it a typo? or ACS T15 & Teclast T51,   and what other IEM &/or cans you got to test it with?

post #344 of 8516

Not a typo wink_face.gif I used T15 to try, and my regular player is a Teclast T51. I was kind of intending to go and try with my T1 Live CIEMs, but I preferred to spend some time with the HM901 and the mad dog of Mr.Speakers. Plus the iRiver booth was crowded the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

Thank you for the update, correct me you mentioned T15 and T51, is it a typo? or ACS T15 & Teclast T51,   and what other IEM &/or cans you got to test it with?

post #345 of 8516

Actually, I agree with this. But I don't know if that can be possible without remaking the whole amp section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

I think if they fix that 22 ohm output for the iRiver AK100 and fix the price around 600 usd, this can be a great DAP.

Let's not forget the HM901, around the corner, Fiio X3 andd the Pono, is going to be a tough choice, for the best/money value DAP.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP