Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 146

post #2176 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

I meant for me, I'm a motorcycle dealer smily_headphones1.gif

Yes Sara , you can use many motor cycle battery from your shop biggrin.gif
post #2177 of 8716
LOL. This is going to end badly...
post #2178 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post

LOL. This is going to end badly...

LOL

post #2179 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

LOL


Hey Sara so when you first got your Miracles was it a perfect fit from the start? Was it a true miracle ;). I still haven't gotten my 8As but kinda anxious about going through refits... :P

post #2180 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyOldMan View Post

Not a $700 experience at all, sound quality notwithstanding... glad that at least I didn't blow another ~$250 to "fix" that. If it had been in the ~$300 range it would more... tolerable, I guess. I'm really interested to hear what the Fiio X3 will offer for its pricepoint, even if, shall we say, it might cast the AK100 in a less than a flattering light.

 

This is why I cancelled my order as soon as I saw the X3 thread....The AK100 is about worth $300, maybe + $100 for the "premium" design and Astell & Kearn "brand" (which is just made up by iRiver and does not mean squat). Really $400 is the max the AK100 should be selling for. Imagine if the iPod classic is suddenly selling for $550 for no reason. 

 

I cannot express my frustration enough of finding an adequate DAP: DX100 battery too short; C4 old and should be updated soon; AK100 about $300 too overpriced; HM901 WHY ISN"T IT HERE YET it has been in development forever, and seeing comments on erji.net the unit doesn't seem to be the end-all-be-all king of hi-fi DAPs either. Gosh I wish the HM901 and X3 are available now. I haven't enjoyed portable music since 3 years ago (iPhones and iPod touches ruined everything)....

post #2181 of 8716

how are you basing your figures? you havent heard the unit yet right?  Its an expensive MP3 player and yes the x3 looks amazing if they can deliver everything ppl are asking for. ... but will they?  

 

its a great size, good battery life, good UI, great sound. 

post #2182 of 8716

Read and Heard that many folks discuss and compare DAP a lot.

I also own some DAP and audited a few...

Don't know anyone would agree with me or not,

But below is How I view DAPs I came across...

 

 

 

 

 

I do admit that iRivier AK100 is overpriced but just "Slightly"...

So far, it is truly a "Gem" for me to spoil myself with music I love all the time anywhere...

post #2183 of 8716

I've only had my AK100 for a couple days but it is definitely an outstanding DAP.  I place it above the CLAS -dB + amp.  The CLAS -dB is a little more aggressive with better punch that will appeal to a lot of people but for me I prefer less thickness around the mids and a more transparent, detailed DAC section like that in the AK100.  I could easily live with either but only one fits in my pocket biggrin.gif.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbitslim0 View Post

 

I do admit that iRivier AK100 is overpriced but just "Slightly"...

So far, it is truly a "Gem" for me to spoil myself with music I love all the time anywhere...

post #2184 of 8716

I really don't see what the big deal is. 

 

The RWAK100 provides significant differences compared to what is currently in market. Either you believe those differences are worth the money or it isn't. If it is too much money just deal with what is currently inferior to it for now. I"m sure in time costs will drop and functionality will increase. 

 

Complaining about just a specific part of the AK100 doesn't really make sense to me. 

 

If the HifiMan is better down the road ... fantastic! I"ll buy one of those then. 

post #2185 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I've only had my AK100 for a couple days but it is definitely an outstanding DAP.  I place it above the CLAS -dB + amp.  The CLAS -dB is a little more aggressive with better punch that will appeal to a lot of people but for me I prefer less thickness around the mids and a more transparent, detailed DAC section like that in the AK100.  I could easily live with either but only one fits in my pocket biggrin.gif.  

 

 

Damn I really want the Latest CLAS -db....my Solo only for iDevice.... -dB can even for my Nexus 7 as USB DAC...

CLAS's sound very clear but as you say aggressive, sadly the "Charging is not USB" I can't charge it with my portable charger on the go... :(

But AK100 --> Easy to listen to, I can listen to it for 4-5 hours straight on the street without getting tired of it.

 

 

Whatsoever, the 32+64+64GB Capacity + Great Sound Quality + Miniature Body + OK Smooth UI  ---> I am more than satisfied gs1000.gif...(yet)

post #2186 of 8716

I never got to hear the original CLAS.  CLAS would be excellent for desktop or work environment and full size headphone rig but like you said, the AK100 can go anywhere and you have hours of music with no fatigue.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbitslim0 View Post

Damn I really want the Latest CLAS -db....my Solo only for iDevice.... -dB can even for my Nexus 7 as USB DAC...

CLAS's sound very clear but as you say aggressive, sadly the "Charging is not USB" I can't charge it with my portable charger on the go... :(

But AK100 --> Easy to listen to, I can listen to it for 4-5 hours straight on the street without getting tired of it.

Whatsoever, the 32+64+64GB Capacity + Great Sound Quality + Miniature Body + OK Smooth UI  ---> I am more than satisfied gs1000.gif...(yet)

post #2187 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I've only had my AK100 for a couple days but it is definitely an outstanding DAP.  I place it above the CLAS -dB + amp.  The CLAS -dB is a little more aggressive with better punch that will appeal to a lot of people but for me I prefer less thickness around the mids and a more transparent, detailed DAC section like that in the AK100.  I could easily live with either but only one fits in my pocket biggrin.gif.  

 

 

I'm not certain if I'm going through a mood swing, but recently I've really been enjoying my CLAS -dB balanced with the Rx Mk3 more than my RWAK100. I think the main key here is that balancing IC. Without it (i.e. single ended), I'd pick the RWAK100 instead.

 

But whilst walking around, yes the RWAK100 wins. Sitting in a cafe though, I tend to whip out the CLAS-dB/Rx Mk3 more.

post #2188 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Hey Sara so when you first got your Miracles was it a perfect fit from the start? Was it a true miracle ;). I still haven't gotten my 8As but kinda anxious about going through refits... :P

Yes, the fit is almost perfect. The only issue I have is, right ear, when in a airplane seat and turn my head the seal sometimes breaks. Last trip 3 times out of 14 hours.

So, I decided I could live with that awhile ago and won't get them refitted.

post #2189 of 8716

I may never have gotten the best out of the CLAS -dB.  I had a pairing issue with my Portaphile.  Scratchy volume pot and the channels cutting out above a certain level.  With the right amp I'm sure the CLAS was outstanding.  I'm still going for ninja style out in public.  RWAK100 tucked away in a pocket rather than CLAS + source on table.  

 

RWAK100 + Heir Audio 4 Ai is a great pairing.  Listening to some acoustic guitar with Amos Hoffman's Evolution.  Lets see if I can force myself to go to bed at a reasonable time tonight.  Will get around to trying the AK100 with the Portaphile later in the week.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I'm not certain if I'm going through a mood swing, but recently I've really been enjoying my CLAS -dB balanced with the Rx Mk3 more than my RWAK100. I think the main key here is that balancing IC. Without it (i.e. single ended), I'd pick the RWAK100 instead.

 

But whilst walking around, yes the RWAK100 wins. Sitting in a cafe though, I tend to whip out the CLAS-dB/Rx Mk3 more.

post #2190 of 8716
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I may never have gotten the best out of the CLAS -dB.  I had a pairing issue with my Portaphile.  Scratchy volume pot and the channels cutting out above a certain level.  With the right amp I'm sure the CLAS was outstanding.  I'm still going for ninja style out in public.  RWAK100 tucked away in a pocket rather than CLAS + source on table.  

 

RWAK100 + Heir Audio 4 Ai is a great pairing.  Listening to some acoustic guitar with Amos Hoffman's Evolution.  Lets see if I can force myself to go to bed at a reasonable time tonight.  Will get around to trying the AK100 with the Portaphile later in the week.

 

That's interesting that you've mentioned Portaphile. That's at least twice now I've heard someone mentioned about that amp. I wrote a review about the Ortofon MHd-Q7 (which I love when it's paired with the RWAK100), but someone mentioned Portaphile has even wider soundstage and deeper imaging than the MHd-Q7. I should find a way to demo that Portaphile one day.

 

At least with the gear I have access to, I found something really magical about the balanced IC of the -dB/Rx Mk3. Agreed about the scratchiness of the pot, and even hiss depending on gain setting. But once set I usually don't touch it that much. Maybe it's specific to the -dB/Rx Mk3 or maybe it's just balanced backend in general. I've never tried the iBasso PB/DB2.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP