- 4,419 Posts. Joined 9/2010
- Location: Hotlanta
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 11/16/14 at 12:34pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY Last post on 10/23/14 at 7:52am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/28/14
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 140
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am using a windows computer. I don't know if this will be useful for you or not. There is a hidden "system" folder with ak100.sys files in addition to what looks like database files. I don't know what tuner.dat is for. Using the directory command from the command prompt option, the contents of that drive are: <snip>
Thanks for providing that. Looks actually the same as on a Mac, I discussed them (incl. System folder) in an earlier post. I was hoping there would be UNIX-style hidden folder (starting with a dot) which are hidden by default in the Finder/Explorer. Since you used the command prompt, they would have shown up though.
I have a copy of my set of folders and alas putting them back didn't help either. The AK100 just doesn't see the drive as a whole, incl. those folders...
And to be very clear: The download is a .zip file, you first need to unzip it (OS X has support built-in, just double-click on the file) then put the resulting AK100.hex file in the root folder of the INTERNAL drive, as in daseinpdx's example listing a couple of posts back.
It's more likely a function of the browser: if it's set to automatically open files, it may forward it to the Archive Utility for extraction. So it will depend on the browser used and its security settings.
I'm thinking about getting an AK100 + ALO National. This would solve the impedance issue and give me ability to drive basically anything OTG. I'm on the fence about buying a RWAK100, and I would have use of the National with other gear that really need amplification. The footprint match of the AK100 and the National is basically identical and they are small units so I don't think the setup would be too bulky for portable use. What do you guys think about this? Price wise it's about the same as RWAK anyways. Appreciate your input!
You REALLY need to read through the thread,...
Quick update: iRiver finally got back to me regarding my little issue, they'll forward my email to the techs and we'll see...
Also, I finally received my Tzar 350 which I preordered quite a while ago. Was looking to get some IEMs that I'd actually really like, and with those there definitely should be no impedance issue whatsoever with the AK100, even considering the 8x rule...
Don't want to double-post, so here's my conclusion at this time: "After all I've tried in the past year, really noticeably good or at least improved experiences have become increasingly rare, and I'm happy to say the Tzar 350 is one of those." If you're interested in more details, head over to the Tzar thread.
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Noble 4 Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › The Ruizu X02 DAP appreciation thread 37 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 41 seconds ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 49 seconds ago
- › Jerry Harvey Granted Dual High Frequency Canalphone Patent 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 or Sony XDA-H1 or something else? - IEM Under £100 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 2 minutes ago
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by bkyoung
- › Superlux HD-631 by Sharingan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)