- 3,389 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Jakarta Indonesia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 4/13/14 at 2:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY Last post on 4/4/14 at 4:56am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 137post #2041 of 83611/20/13 at 7:13amThank you all for the explanation RWA AK 100 vs AK 100
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2042 of 83611/20/13 at 8:22ampost #2043 of 83611/20/13 at 9:42ampost #2044 of 83611/20/13 at 9:44ampost #2045 of 83611/20/13 at 9:44amQuote:
xldpost #2046 of 83611/20/13 at 11:20amQuote:
Took my CDs to a ripping service. I have so many and categorizing my classical music collection is incredibly difficult. Since readytoplay is local, I don't have to pay shipping fees either.post #2047 of 83611/20/13 at 11:46am
As others mentioned, XLD does a great job. Remember that once you have set up all the prefs to your liking to save it as a profile! (So you don't have to go over it repeatedly)
Also, if you can be patient, apparently iRiver is adding ALAC support, and the firmware update MAY be out before the end of the month. ALAC files of course work in iTunes and on all iDevices, so this would save you the trouble and space of ripping/transcoding the same music twice! Also in that case, you could rip your CDs straight into iTunes (choose "Apple lossless" in the Import options), but XLD is still the better solution (and can add the rips into the iTunes library automatically too)
I have transcoded my favourite albums from ALAC to FLAC for now and am holding off on more pending that release...post #2048 of 83611/20/13 at 11:49ampost #2049 of 83611/20/13 at 7:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by AnakChan
Yep agreed. Otherwise there wouldn't be enough oomph.
I think what lee was trying to say though with his "HO" was that he meant the whole section out there...i.e. the "HO amp" section. That is implying the resistors are between the DAC & headphone out amp & I'm not certain if that's the case. I was under the impression it's actually DAC -> amp -> resistors -> Heaphone out.
Also don't believe the resistors are actually removed, but merely bypassed.
WM8740 d/a >> analog output stage >> FET buffer (for the current to drive headphones) >> 22-ohm resistor >> connector and circuit board traces to attach main board to upper board that has the headphone jack >> Headphone Jack
22 ohm resistors are removed (so a new path is created), and the new wiring is connected from the FET directly to the headphone jack pins, so:
WM8740 d/a >> analog output stage >> FET buffer >> Headphone JackQuote:Hi lee
I heard RWA can supply again RWA AK 100 after CES audio show.
Look like shouldn't have any more problem to make RWA AK 100
I hope it is true what I heard
This is true, and RWAK100 orders are shipping this week!post #2050 of 83611/20/13 at 8:17pmpost #2051 of 83611/20/13 at 9:04pmpost #2052 of 83611/20/13 at 9:21pmpost #2053 of 83611/20/13 at 10:47pm
Usually, iTunes purchases and "Download Album Art" store the artwork in a separate database rather than embed it in the files. The process is transparent when transferring to iDevices, but for the AK100 and other players it needs to be embedded. You can go to dougscripts.com/itunes/ and look for an "Embed Artwork" script to add to iTunes or use a 3rd-party manager/tag-editor.
(Wow, iRiver actually delivered the update as promised, and on time. Nice! Downloading now...)
Edited by TheGrumpyOldMan - 1/20/13 at 10:49pmpost #2054 of 83611/21/13 at 12:55am
I'm at about 160 hours of burn in now on the unit and it still seems to be improving some. The treble is more smooth now and I no longer get fatigued from the apparent treble spikes I was getting earlier on, on this unit. Depending on the track things can get a bit cluttered (lacking in dynamics in comparison to my other setups, I feel this is the amp sections limitations showing) but still overall it's quite a good unit. Using an amp will solve that problem (minor if anything & still smaller than a DX100 combo). Gonna continue burning it in til 250+ hours and see if it gets any better :).
Edited by lee730 - 1/21/13 at 1:08ampost #2055 of 83611/21/13 at 1:18am
WARNING! Do NOT reformat the internal drive! in case you ever considered it (since it's OK with the inserted cards). I'll spare you all my bleeping.
The tinkerer in me couldn't help trying it, in an effort to clear out the internal drive all at once, I reformatted it in the same format as originally (FAT32), on Mac OS X, named it "AK100" then put the default folders back.
While everything still looks OK when connected to the computer, when trying to do a library scan, it fails, and System Information shows:
Internal 1KB left/ 19.36MB, rather than the expected ~31GB (which show up correctly when connected to a computer) :'(
It is still usable by using folder navigation to the external cards, but it is of course a substantial limitation of the AK100 usability. I'll keep you posted about any response from iRiver.
If anybody comfortable with their Mac could open Disk Utility, and click on the (i)nfo button in the toolbar for both the actual drive and the AK100 partition and post a screenshot of that, it might help me figure some things out in the meantime...
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 5 seconds ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 6 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 2 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions and Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob