- 4,478 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Jakarta Indonesia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 1/21/15 at 7:18am in Portable Source Gear
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 7/27/15 at 12:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 137
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Took my CDs to a ripping service. I have so many and categorizing my classical music collection is incredibly difficult. Since readytoplay is local, I don't have to pay shipping fees either.
As others mentioned, XLD does a great job. Remember that once you have set up all the prefs to your liking to save it as a profile! (So you don't have to go over it repeatedly)
Also, if you can be patient, apparently iRiver is adding ALAC support, and the firmware update MAY be out before the end of the month. ALAC files of course work in iTunes and on all iDevices, so this would save you the trouble and space of ripping/transcoding the same music twice! Also in that case, you could rip your CDs straight into iTunes (choose "Apple lossless" in the Import options), but XLD is still the better solution (and can add the rips into the iTunes library automatically too)
I have transcoded my favourite albums from ALAC to FLAC for now and am holding off on more pending that release...
Yep agreed. Otherwise there wouldn't be enough oomph.
I think what lee was trying to say though with his "HO" was that he meant the whole section out there...i.e. the "HO amp" section. That is implying the resistors are between the DAC & headphone out amp & I'm not certain if that's the case. I was under the impression it's actually DAC -> amp -> resistors -> Heaphone out.
Also don't believe the resistors are actually removed, but merely bypassed.
WM8740 d/a >> analog output stage >> FET buffer (for the current to drive headphones) >> 22-ohm resistor >> connector and circuit board traces to attach main board to upper board that has the headphone jack >> Headphone Jack
22 ohm resistors are removed (so a new path is created), and the new wiring is connected from the FET directly to the headphone jack pins, so:
WM8740 d/a >> analog output stage >> FET buffer >> Headphone Jack
I heard RWA can supply again RWA AK 100 after CES audio show.
Look like shouldn't have any more problem to make RWA AK 100
I hope it is true what I heard
This is true, and RWAK100 orders are shipping this week!
Usually, iTunes purchases and "Download Album Art" store the artwork in a separate database rather than embed it in the files. The process is transparent when transferring to iDevices, but for the AK100 and other players it needs to be embedded. You can go to dougscripts.com/itunes/ and look for an "Embed Artwork" script to add to iTunes or use a 3rd-party manager/tag-editor.
(Wow, iRiver actually delivered the update as promised, and on time. Nice! Downloading now...)
Edited by TheGrumpyOldMan - 1/20/13 at 10:49pm
I'm at about 160 hours of burn in now on the unit and it still seems to be improving some. The treble is more smooth now and I no longer get fatigued from the apparent treble spikes I was getting earlier on, on this unit. Depending on the track things can get a bit cluttered (lacking in dynamics in comparison to my other setups, I feel this is the amp sections limitations showing) but still overall it's quite a good unit. Using an amp will solve that problem (minor if anything & still smaller than a DX100 combo). Gonna continue burning it in til 250+ hours and see if it gets any better :).
Edited by lee730 - 1/21/13 at 1:08am
WARNING! Do NOT reformat the internal drive! in case you ever considered it (since it's OK with the inserted cards). I'll spare you all my bleeping.
The tinkerer in me couldn't help trying it, in an effort to clear out the internal drive all at once, I reformatted it in the same format as originally (FAT32), on Mac OS X, named it "AK100" then put the default folders back.
While everything still looks OK when connected to the computer, when trying to do a library scan, it fails, and System Information shows:
Internal 1KB left/ 19.36MB, rather than the expected ~31GB (which show up correctly when connected to a computer) :'(
It is still usable by using folder navigation to the external cards, but it is of course a substantial limitation of the AK100 usability. I'll keep you posted about any response from iRiver.
If anybody comfortable with their Mac could open Disk Utility, and click on the (i)nfo button in the toolbar for both the actual drive and the AK100 partition and post a screenshot of that, it might help me figure some things out in the meantime...
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Amp for DT 770 80ohm 3 seconds ago
- › Custom Art Ei.3 or Noble 3 Universal 10 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 2 minutes ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Meridian Director DAC: Anyone here own one? 3 minutes ago
- › Three desert island albums 4 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3