Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 125

post #1861 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmBOS View Post

If bulk is not an issue, would not the best way to solve the high impedance output be to pair it with an amp with lower output impedance say for instance Alo National (what about Leckerton UHA 6 with optical inp?)?. I don't mind the bulk but really need to be able to drive sensitive IEM's and I'm no fan of the DX100!


Even with an amp, it is better to have your output device into the amp with the lowest output impedance possible. Tube preamps achieve this with a tube in the buffer position as a cathode follower, which can lower the ouput impedance to less than an ohm. And if you have to stack to get a lower impedance you are defeating the purpose of the DAP.

post #1862 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post


It lags for me on both.  I wonder if it is because I am using an unsupported card 64gb.


Even with just my 32 GB card it does lag some. Accessing any of the menus including all songs.

post #1863 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daseinpdx View Post


It lags for me on both.  I wonder if it is because I am using an unsupported card 64gb.


Even with just my 32 GB card it does lag some. Accessing any of the menus including all songs.

What is the speed of your card? 

post #1864 of 8589

Class 4 and class 10. The players UI simply just lags a bit. Not a big deal but its not as fast as some will have you believe. It's acceptable. Nothing like an iphone4 though.
 

post #1865 of 8589

by my account and others it is inconsequential...it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe...

 

i think someone is trying really hard to not like his new DAP and looking for any reason(s) to ship it off to a new owner...plus he likes his players to be able to make him cry...lol ;-P

post #1866 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by toads View Post

by my account and others it is inconsequential...it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe...

 

i think someone is trying really hard to not like his new DAP and looking for any reason(s) to ship it off to a new owner...plus he likes his players to be able to make him cry...lol ;-P


You know it. When you gear can have that much of an emotional impact on you, you've reached audio nirvana ;-)... As I said "not a big deal" but there is lag on the UI. To say otherwise is misleading to buyers here.

post #1867 of 8589

Sounds like it needs Rockbox. L3000.gif

post #1868 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


You know it. When you gear can have that much of an emotional impact on you, you've reached audio nirvana ;-)... As I said "not a big deal" but there is lag on the UI. To say otherwise is misleading to buyers here.

 

...or you need to up the visits to the therapist...;-)

 

i did not say there was 'no lag'...let's not go down that road...i said it was inconsequential, in fact i measured it against my iDevice and found it less than half a sec from drilling down top folders to track start...

 

my time is valuable i admit, but i can handle a 3 or 4 tenths here and there...lol

post #1869 of 8589

Well it varies for me on each menu. Some of them can be a split second as you say (generally after you've accessed that menu already). Some can be about 2 seconds to access the menu. When accessing folders it's about 1.5 to 2 seconds with the loading bars.
 


Edited by lee730 - 1/14/13 at 6:04pm
post #1870 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Class 4 and class 10. The players UI simply just lags a bit. Not a big deal but its not as fast as some will have you believe. It's acceptable. Nothing like an iphone4 though.

 

Just to be clear, the NAND and controllers used on UHS-1 have much higher random read rates than class 4 or regular class 10 cards. If you see a quicker UI with no cards inserted, there's a chance faster cards make a difference. I'll test out once mine arrives.
post #1871 of 8589

Strange though as I've never had that issue on other players even with Class 2 cards. My Sansa Fuze was as snappy as it gets in that regards. I think it's just the firmware on the player to be honest but keep us posted (if you are getting an AK100?).
 


Edited by lee730 - 1/14/13 at 5:51pm
post #1872 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Strange though as I've never had that issue on other players even with Class 2 cards. My Sansa Fuze was as snappy as it gets in that regards. I think it's just the firmware on the player to be honest but keep us posted (if you are getting an AK100?).

 

An RWAK100 and if I have time an ak100 to dink around with at the electronics lab at work.
post #1873 of 8589

Nice. I look forward to the comparison. Will you be using sensitive IEMs to do the comparison?
 

post #1874 of 8589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Nice. I look forward to the comparison. Will you be using sensitive IEMs to do the comparison?

 

Have JH16s coming sometime in the next few weeks. Unsure when they'll arrive, though.
post #1875 of 8589

Ahh, are those the freq phase model? Really curious how much this model has improved from their previous model :).
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP