Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 118

post #1756 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

lol someone beat you both to the punch :P.

 
Well, being 2nd in line is better than last place!!! wink.gif
post #1757 of 8656

So far I'm actually liking the player. I've found it needs to be set to EQ Flat to sound really good. On EQ off it's a bit harsh (fatiguing) at slightly higher volumes. On EQ Flat its even more detailed and much more balanced IMO. I understand the comments now on the black background. It indeed is even blacker than the DX100. This is clearly evident with me listening to it on low volumes (20 out of 75). I'm curious as to what you other headfier listen to this device at volume wise ;).
 


Edited by lee730 - 1/11/13 at 1:41am
post #1758 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

So far I'm actually liking the player. I've found it needs to be set to EQ Flat to sound really good. On EQ off it's a bit harsh (fatiguing) at slightly higher volumes. On EQ Flat its even more detailed and much more balanced IMO. I understand the comments now on the black background. It indeed is even blacker than the DX100. This is clearly evident with me listening to it on low volumes (20 out of 75). I'm curious as to what you other headfier listen to this device at volume wise ;).
 

I asked this before, but I think it never got answered: About how many db +/- (max/min) do you get from the EQ bands onboard?

post #1759 of 8656

Looks like 10 to -10. But that doesn't necessarily mean dB ratings.
 

post #1760 of 8656

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

A few tips on the MP3Tags I've noticed :-

 

1) not always but if Album Artists is blank, it may classify the whole track as Unknown Album & Unknown Artists (under the Album category at least)

2) it doesn't seem to be a fan of "Compilations". It puts those tracks under an album "1". Recommend to remove the Compilations flag on the track (I found this on XLD but not on MP3tag)

3) Keep Album Artwork under 500x500 if possible, if it's too big, it won't appear

4) Some albums, I needed to place track order for it to appear in order - so far only on my SACD ripped/converted/down sampled. Possibly an isolated issue.

 

Others which I don't know if has any impact at all :-

 

1) I always genre categorise

2) I ensure only 1xalbum artwork per track. If there's a 2nd I delete

Good catch on the Compilation flag! iRiver, if you're going to do it wrong or can't handle it, why not just simply IGNORE it? Also: about 90% of my covers are 600x600 and probably the handful of problem covers are a different size, so I'd say up to that size it's safe as well.

 

Between this (which I use to organize quite a few albums thanks to an iTunes/iDevice quirk) and re-embedding a couple of covers, I finally got everything straightened out as far as the music goes! Maybe this weekend I'll look into something scripting or similar to see if there's any useful way to get playlists on there...


Edited by TheGrumpyOldMan - 1/11/13 at 2:55am
post #1761 of 8656

That would be nice because I am a playlist freak and this is one thing that is pissing me off about this player. I contacted their customer service to bitch about it as well as not having gapeless playback! These are 2 basic things that even the DX100 got right....

 

Supposedly it only supports PLS playlist format and I found a script that may work in mp3tag. Just you have to set up the paths according to how iRiver programmed it (retarded obviously) so good luck on that one. I'd love it you managed to get it working. As playlists are pretty much the fastest way to access music IMO.

 


http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=11439

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644798/path-to-external-microsds-for-ak100-for-playlists#post_9038032


Edited by lee730 - 1/11/13 at 2:38am
post #1762 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

 

No not true. The DX100 is more temperamental that it :)

dunno that is what I read from headfonia, where the sound signature suddenly become better when they change into the momentum and one other pair

post #1763 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

dunno that is what I read from headfonia, where the sound signature suddenly become better when they change into the momentum and one other pair


Because they had a non-modded version with the crappy 22 ohm output impedance. We have modded RWA AK100 which is less than 1 ohm ;). Then again I take his reviews (headfonia) with a BIG grain of salt :P.


Edited by lee730 - 1/11/13 at 2:49am
post #1764 of 8656

I thought doing this mod did something to the durability of the AK 100?

 there is a statement by iriver about this I think? where they say that doing the mod may break your headphone or something?

post #1765 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

I thought doing this mod did something to the durability of the AK 100?

 there is a statement by iriver about this I think? where they say that doing the mod may break your headphone or something?


They lyed ;). All in hopes in preventing themselves from looking like horses-asses. Still it didn't work. They just made themselves look worse  :P.


Edited by lee730 - 1/11/13 at 3:23am
post #1766 of 8656
Anyone finding problems with tags? I got a few hundred songs reporting as 'unknown album' and 'unknown artists' but a check in foobar and winamp shows the tags correctly.

There is no compilation flag and I even removed album art. Any ideas?

P. S. The iriver plus 4 software is a POS.
post #1767 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryUprising View Post

Anyone finding problems with tags? I got a few hundred songs reporting as 'unknown album' and 'unknown artists' but a check in foobar and winamp shows the tags correctly.

There is no compilation flag and I even removed album art. Any ideas?

P. S. The iriver plus 4 software is a POS.


lol you can say that again! That program had me pulling my hair out! I even tried using the playlist function and could not for the life of me figure it out. RETARDED is an understatement for this program! lol

 

Anyways try use mp3tag and see if you are missing the Album Artist tag. That could very well be it. If you can find a code to automatically add your Artist plane to the Album Artist Plane you could do this in one crack and just save the changes. :)

post #1768 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryUprising View Post

P. S. The iriver plus 4 software is a POS.

 

I didn't know there is such a software...

post #1769 of 8656

What is inside the headphone amplifier in AK100?

DAC knows what, but the amplifier ...


Edited by NegoNeo - 1/11/13 at 5:42am
post #1770 of 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegoNeo View Post

What is inside the headphone amplifier in AK100?

DAC knows what, but the amplifier ...


Yoda...is that you?

 

LOL.

 

Sorry.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP