Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 1/21/15 at 7:18am in Portable Source Gear
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 2/8/15 at 8:34am in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 96
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sure I can the next time I hit the shops. But I'd probably want to give the RWAK100 a 48 hr burn-in at least. And I don't know how well burnt in the shop's AK100 will be.
Actually, Doesn't VisceriousZERO have the AK100 and RWAK100 coming? That may be a more controlled test. Anyhow if he can't do this, I'll see if I can make some time to do so but it won't be anytime soon due to burn-in, etc.
Rudi, I managed to do a -VERY- brief comparison between the AK100 & RWAK100. I tried on 2 ear/headphones - TG!334 and HD700. The TG!334 is quite easy to drive and the difference was largest on these IEMs. The upper bass and lower mids felt thin. Vocals sounded somewhat nasally. The imaging also sounded somewhat shallow or more 2D-ish. My RWAK100 (after 16 hrs burn-in so many more to go) felt more full and better imaging.
On the HD700 that has a higher impedance they sounded closer to each other but it's an open headphone in a departmental store so you'll have to take with a pinch of salt.
Other RWAK100 aspects so far :-
1) after 12 hrs burn-in, the DX100 still has a slight edge on soundstage, imaging, and general "fullness". Will continue burning in the RWAK100. The difference is not great. I had to listen hard to discern the difference. One person PMed me and I kept going back 'n forth as though I was fickle minded. However that's a good sign that the RWAK100 and DX100 is so close that it takes critical listening to hear the difference.
2) Disconnected from the charger 6 hrs ago and there's hardly a dent in the battery life!! It's been playing continuously either through my earphones or through my burn-in resistors (at full volume in this case).
3) No gapless - GRRR!!!
4) It's so small, I'm not used to going out with such a small yet audiophile level SQ - I feel naked.
5) The auto pause when yanking the headphone out is a blessing and curse. Blessing that I don't have to worry about the app running in the background requiring to be paused or killed. But a curse when doing side-by-side testing, yanking the earphone in 'n out means I have to play/pause/fast forward the tracks on either one player or the other.
6) Instantaneous UI (unlike the DX100...did I hit that pause or not?).
7) volume knob although easily hit doesn't really change volume so no problems there. But build-wise it feels "rocky".
8) brilliant that when I insert a new SD card, indexing doesn't take that long. And even if I don't want to, I can go to folder to play.
9) At least with v1.13 that came with the RWAK100, there seems to be some MP3tag issues.
10) This player seems to be more susceptible to 3G/UMTS from my iPhone (when placed in the same pockets). I don't recall this on my DX100
11) did I say I feel naked already?
Long enough to actually kill the mood when listening to Phantom of the Opera!
Oh I forgot (but I'm on an older firmware version, haven't gone up to 1.20 yet), album/track sorting a little dodgy. Possibly another MP3tag reading issue.
Only in bluetooth :-
Don't see anything there that'll help improve on the mp3tags. No harm in upgrading I guess.
Awww...c'mon, even a DAP can be good quality but be "hip" with modern features at the same time ;-). Although I can't imagine ever enabling the Bluetooth though.
Same. Wouldn't that just degrade sound quality anyways when enabled? At least that is what I felt with WIFI. I uninstalled bluetooth from the DX100. So I see you sold your 334? Kinda hard to believe :P. Then again I think the same can be said about me in regards to the DX100...
Proud to be a Norfolk resident!
Vinnie shipped my RWAK100 on the 29th December so hopefully it'll be delivered soon. It'll be very interesting to compare the SQ with my Tera Player.
I look forward to your comparisons to the Tera player. Although I have a feeling the Tera Player still wins and hopefully so with all its compromises. :)
How smoothly does it integrate music from internal and external memory? Is it just one huge library (preferable) or does one have to play around to get to music from another card?
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Best Audio Converter Needed 44 seconds ago
- › WHY/HOW - converting to FLAC with different software gives... 44 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 50 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for better sound isolation than comply tips 4 minutes ago
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2