Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 4/13/14 at 2:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY Last post on 7/18/14 at 2:31am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 88
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So you're saying after I've done some comparisons, iBasso may either love or hate me ;-)??
I'm doing some DX100 tests on my speaker system and am finding some interesting results. More onto the DX100 thread later. I'll be doing the same tests when the RWAK100 arrives.
Would be interesting to hear since someone else finds the AK100 to be a noticeably better sounding transport than even the DX100 :) or when amped (still not up to par with the DX100 when used as single units in comparison though :P).
Edited by lee730 - 1/1/13 at 5:00am
It'll be quite a different comparison though 'cos with the (RW)AK100 it's still semi bi-amping if you get what I mean. I know Vinnie has said that it's not really but some how I feel it's not exactly like DX100's variable lineout still.
I take most thoughts with a pinch of salt (as you have seen from the 1+2 thread...and mind you I still haven't ruled it out completely yet!!), but I do keep such reviews and impressions as a base to see if BS or (partial or holistic) truth, so I'd like to test the RWAK100 optical out myself. Admittedly though the DX100's optical is quite good, and so's it's coax. I've done comparison between that and the CLAS -dB/original (coax at least) and both sound very clean. Anyhow, that's a different test from what I mentioned above.
Yep I agree reviews are more so a generalization (or possibility) of what to expect opposed to exactly what to expect. Still it's a good baseline to start from when you are forced to make blind purchases. Just in that case better to have multiple reviews reflecting similar opinions and in that a better chance to not be disappointed in the end. :). Still regarding the positive comments vs the DX100 via amping and as a transport makes me quite happy (even positive/hopeful) as I'd still use the RWA AK100 amped with my T1 if it sounds better. Just I have the option to be even more portable which is a win, win for me ;). Just you get the best of both worlds in the end. :)
Edited by lee730 - 1/1/13 at 5:28am
Yep I agree reviews are more so a generalization (or possibility) of what to expect opposed to exactly what to expect. Still it's a good baseline to start from when you are forced to make blind purchases. Just in that case better to have multiple reviews reflecting similar opinions and in that a better chance to not be disappointed in the end. :). Still regarding the positive comments vs the DX100 via amping and as a transport makes me quite happy as I'd still use the RWA AK100 amped with my T1 if it sounds better. Just I have the option to be even more portable which is a win, win for me ;). Just you get the best of both worlds in the end. :)
Lee you should not get the RWAK100. iRiver lied. Remember?
Yeah they did lie. But I'm not buying it from them. I'd be buying it from Vinnie who isn't a liar ;). Plus it makes iRiver look even worse that Vinnie if fixing their mess up. Makes me feel all warm inside (like a slap in the face). ;)
But you are still indirectly supporting that company who lied to you! That is morally wrong!
Well so are you! ;). Isn't it hypocritical to be mentioning that point when you are doing the same yourself? They not only lied to me they lied to everyone lol (false advertising) :P Anyways, I haven't even committed to it yet and won't until I hear reviews stating it is worth it over the DX100. The things we all deal with for better & more portable sound :P.
Edited by lee730 - 1/1/13 at 5:44am
It is not hypocritical because they only lied to you and not to me! So, you should not buy it!
PS: Now I need to go catch some frogs (not toads I hope).
I thought they renamed that IEM company to toads? ;)
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Update On Current Status 4 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 7 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 57 seconds ago
- › New to Full size headphones and need helpful advice on choosing a... 1 minute ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 2 minutes ago
- › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info... 2 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 3 minutes ago
- › Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz) 4 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)