Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAstell Kerntagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 10/10/12
- brandIrivertagged by System, 10/10/12
- productIriver AK100 24bit / 192kHz 32G Portbale Hi-Fi Audio System Playertagged by JmoonAK, 6/24/13
- productiriver RWA AK100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productMezzo Soprano MS-AK100tagged by milarepa, 5/30/13
- productWireless Cordless TV PC MP3 Computer Headphones-Frisby FHP301W - Great value, works from 30 ft distance, compatible with any TV (plasma LCD RCA etc, or PC, or MP3 CD DVD Player).tagged by IronLung, 5/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 1/21/15 at 7:18am in Portable Source Gear
- Review: Astell and Kern AK100, Magic or Fail? Last post on 3/1/14 at 2:05pm in Dedicated Source Components
- AK100 vs Redwine IMOD or else Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:36am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2 Last post on 4/9/15 at 6:51am in Portable Source Gear
- Mid Tier DAC for AK100 Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
I've always looked into "budget-fi" since I've got more interested in proper headphones thus making me get the CALs, Takstar Pro 80s and now the Somic MH463. I will be doing some direct comparisons...
I have been looking for a desktop amp/dac for a while now as I have not had one for the last few years (last desktop amp was a Naim headline 2 with NPSC power supply which was okay but nothing...
Very strong and impactfull bass, great build quality. High input power. It is very sensible, has a very loud volume. Very good for DJ monitoring. Not confortable! Very fatiguing. It makes a...
The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP - Page 88
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So you're saying after I've done some comparisons, iBasso may either love or hate me ;-)??
I'm doing some DX100 tests on my speaker system and am finding some interesting results. More onto the DX100 thread later. I'll be doing the same tests when the RWAK100 arrives.
Would be interesting to hear since someone else finds the AK100 to be a noticeably better sounding transport than even the DX100 :) or when amped (still not up to par with the DX100 when used as single units in comparison though :P).
Edited by lee730 - 1/1/13 at 5:00am
It'll be quite a different comparison though 'cos with the (RW)AK100 it's still semi bi-amping if you get what I mean. I know Vinnie has said that it's not really but some how I feel it's not exactly like DX100's variable lineout still.
I take most thoughts with a pinch of salt (as you have seen from the 1+2 thread...and mind you I still haven't ruled it out completely yet!!), but I do keep such reviews and impressions as a base to see if BS or (partial or holistic) truth, so I'd like to test the RWAK100 optical out myself. Admittedly though the DX100's optical is quite good, and so's it's coax. I've done comparison between that and the CLAS -dB/original (coax at least) and both sound very clean. Anyhow, that's a different test from what I mentioned above.
Yep I agree reviews are more so a generalization (or possibility) of what to expect opposed to exactly what to expect. Still it's a good baseline to start from when you are forced to make blind purchases. Just in that case better to have multiple reviews reflecting similar opinions and in that a better chance to not be disappointed in the end. :). Still regarding the positive comments vs the DX100 via amping and as a transport makes me quite happy (even positive/hopeful) as I'd still use the RWA AK100 amped with my T1 if it sounds better. Just I have the option to be even more portable which is a win, win for me ;). Just you get the best of both worlds in the end. :)
Edited by lee730 - 1/1/13 at 5:28am
Yep I agree reviews are more so a generalization (or possibility) of what to expect opposed to exactly what to expect. Still it's a good baseline to start from when you are forced to make blind purchases. Just in that case better to have multiple reviews reflecting similar opinions and in that a better chance to not be disappointed in the end. :). Still regarding the positive comments vs the DX100 via amping and as a transport makes me quite happy as I'd still use the RWA AK100 amped with my T1 if it sounds better. Just I have the option to be even more portable which is a win, win for me ;). Just you get the best of both worlds in the end. :)
Lee you should not get the RWAK100. iRiver lied. Remember?
Yeah they did lie. But I'm not buying it from them. I'd be buying it from Vinnie who isn't a liar ;). Plus it makes iRiver look even worse that Vinnie if fixing their mess up. Makes me feel all warm inside (like a slap in the face). ;)
But you are still indirectly supporting that company who lied to you! That is morally wrong!
Well so are you! ;). Isn't it hypocritical to be mentioning that point when you are doing the same yourself? They not only lied to me they lied to everyone lol (false advertising) :P Anyways, I haven't even committed to it yet and won't until I hear reviews stating it is worth it over the DX100. The things we all deal with for better & more portable sound :P.
Edited by lee730 - 1/1/13 at 5:44am
It is not hypocritical because they only lied to you and not to me! So, you should not buy it!
PS: Now I need to go catch some frogs (not toads I hope).
I thought they renamed that IEM company to toads? ;)
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 4 seconds ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity – it’s... 48 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 53 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 1 minute ago
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 2 minutes ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 2 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2