Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Do you think audiophiles have a much deeper appreciation of music than the general public?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you think audiophiles have a much deeper appreciation of music than the general public? - Page 9

post #121 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

I think audiophiles have a deeper appreciation for the sound quality of the music. I know audiophiles who refuse to listen to anything that has a poor recording, or poor production, even though the music itself can be pretty good. I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound quality as well. 

 

So what about lo-fi music recordings on hi-fi equipment? 

 

This exactly. We appreciate the music as much as anybody does, but the quality is vastly important to us. 

post #122 of 134

Why is it then that most people here talk about listening to such crappy music then?

post #123 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

Why is it then that most people here talk about listening to such crappy music then?

 

Do you mean "crappy" as in poorly recorded and mastered, or "crappy" as in musical preferences? If the former, some don't care about the quality, they will be partial to a certain band or artist, no matter how bad they sound. Others, like me, try to find the best recordings and best masters possible, to squeeze the capabilites out of our gear.

post #124 of 134

I seem to be the only person in the family that appreciate and listen to music most, the more you listen the more you appreciate the work in the music. And I take pride in that.

post #125 of 134

Crappy in musical preferences.

post #126 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

Crappy in musical preferences.

What makes your taste any better than anyone elses?

post #127 of 134

"It sounded like it was recorded in mono into a boombox that was inside a metal trash can." A lot of people sum up early Norwegian Black Metal as sounding like that. Its a lot of lo-fi music. Yet I can still find ways to appreciate it. 

 

 

post #128 of 134
 

If the music is very good, very bad recorded sound won't bother me.

 

I use it as a test:

Is it worth listening through the hiss? Does the hiss actually help me force myself to concentrate?

 

I'm thinking of Josef Hofmann's records, Fats playing the organ in 1927, Schnabel's Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto, &c.

post #129 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

"It sounded like it was recorded in mono into a boombox that was inside a metal trash can." A lot of people sum up early Norwegian Black Metal as sounding like that. Its a lot of lo-fi music. Yet I can still find ways to appreciate it.

 
I don't listen to metal on my AKGs because they're too resolving. I find metal too aggressive on most dynamic models, though thrash work fine for me on Grados. I usually use Fostex T50RP for any metal, especially Norwegian Black, because Fostex is so laid back and unaggressive. I can play anything on those. 

Edited by Claritas - 10/10/14 at 9:46pm
post #130 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
I don't listen to metal on my AKGs because they're too resolving. I find metal too aggressive on most dynamic models, though trash work fine for me on Grados. I usually use Fostex T50RP for any metal, especially Norwegian Black, because Fostex is so laid back and unaggressive. I can play anything on those. 

Sorry, if this is a newb question, but what do you mean when you say they are too resolving? Also, if your ears aren't bleeding you aren't listening to the metal the right way, Jk. In any case I always thought metal should sound aggressive, unless you mean aggressive as in its physically hurting your ears. 

post #131 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

I'm thinking of Josef Hofmann's records, Fats playing the organ in 1927, Schnabel's Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto, &c.

 

Not everyone listens to crappy music

post #132 of 134

*accidental post*


Edited by Danieru - 12/11/13 at 10:51pm
post #133 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

Sorry, if this is a newb question, but what do you mean when you say they are too resolving? Also, if your ears aren't bleeding you aren't listening to the metal the right way, Jk. In any case I always thought metal should sound aggressive, unless you mean aggressive as in its physically hurting your ears. 

 

I meant you can hear too much detail. I used "resolving" because there's a disagreement about "detail." Some use the word to refer to a fake sense of detail you can sometimes get with a treble boost. If the record is low-fi, I don't want to hear the gears unless the music is Bix playing "At the Jazz Band Ball" or Toscanini conducting Beethoven in 1939.
But you're also right that my hearing is quite sensitive and I listen at low volumes. So I usually avoid an aggressive sound in otherwise aggressive music, such as metal, by listening to it on my so far lightly-modded T50RP.
post #134 of 134

I don't feel that audiophiles have a deeper appreciation of music than the general public. 

 

They might enjoy listening to music more, but what type of music you listen to is a personal preference, and from a strictly view of an audiophile, a musician would be better suited to have a better appreciation of the music rather than the audiophiles mere enjoyment of listening to the music. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Do you think audiophiles have a much deeper appreciation of music than the general public?