Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience - Page 4

post #46 of 53

I bought an SRH440 yesterday after trying about 10 cans in a local SamAsh. Wow, great sound and very flat but with actual HF extension unlike the 280 but nowhere near as trebly and shrill as the K240, and it doesn't have any mid-bass suck-out like the 280 either. I think I'm going to be sending my K240 back to Amazon now. I wanted to like it but in reality the soundstage isn't much better than really good closed headphones upon second listen...I am disappointed. I'm sure the K701 holds its weight better.

 

I tried the M50s against the SRH and it was much worse. Sharpened upper mids, bloated mid bass, and scooped mids. Awful from a neturalist standpoint.


Edited by metal571 - 4/7/14 at 10:46am
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

I mean for $80, there are definitely a lot of other options. While they have an interesting sound signature, they weren't technically that great. If you gave me $80 to spend on a headphone, I'd probably pick the NVX XPT100 over it if I had to buy new, but used there are a plethora of other options, even within AKG. The K271 is a lot more neutral and I actually thought it was more fun for metal and other fast music. Or better yet, an older K240. I just sold a Sextett for $75, for example. And a DF went for $42 last week. A lot of the new sub-$100 bracket is bassy, which I guess does differentiate the K240S from the others, but blow away is definitely an overstatement.
ok then, I'll say on par with other cans at this price, or better. Plus the 10khz spike imo isn't at all bad. I feel no fatigue at all. Its not like its crappy treble. Its fairly decent sounding. I am very experienced with cans 20-160$. These are very nice for 80$. Sound stage is better than the he-300's, treble is equivalent, and bass/mids are a little worse according to a person on the forum who owns both.
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiga View Post

I have the k240 mkii and even with burn-in, that 10khz spike is still there and is really annoying, it sounds very bright.
its just 3 db... Lol. Deal with it. Not bad by any means.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


its just 3 db... Lol. Deal with it. Not bad by any means.

Makes the treble sound grainy though as that spike makes it harder to make out the even higher frequencies, at least to my ears. It dominates the treble a bit too much. I can only hear until about 15 kHz lol, too much metal back in high school, I'm only 24. hah

post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post

I bought an SRH440 yesterday after trying about 10 cans in a local SamAsh. Wow, great sound and very flat but with actual HF extension unlike the 280 but nowhere near as trebly and shrill as the K240, and it doesn't have any mid-bass suck-out like the 280 either. I think I'm going to be sending my K240 back to Amazon now. I wanted to like it but in reality the soundstage isn't much better than really good closed headphones upon second listen...I am disappointed. I'm sure the K701 holds its weight better.

I tried the M50s against the SRH and it was much worse. Sharpened upper mids, bloated mid bass, and scooped mids. Awful from a neturalist standpoint.

The Q701 as well as the K612 hold their weight better. They are substantial upgrades sonically from the K240 and sound very different. If you are willing to spend around $200 and are willing to amplify them I highly recommend either. The K612 is linear and neutral, the Q701 is more airy and bright but overall they are about equal sonically just different.

I found the M50 to sound quite bad as well.
post #51 of 53
Interesting... Velour k240 pads sell for 10-20$ on eBay...
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


ok then, I'll say on par with other cans at this price, or better. Plus the 10khz spike imo isn't at all bad. I feel no fatigue at all. Its not like its crappy treble. Its fairly decent sounding. I am very experienced with cans 20-160$. These are very nice for 80$. Sound stage is better than the he-300's, treble is equivalent, and bass/mids are a little worse according to a person on the forum who owns both.

The he-300 part you heard from me, didn't you?

It's actually true, the soundstage IS better than the HE-300's *talking about both unamped, that is* although the HE-300's shine out on pretty much anything else (but they're also 3 times the price, so what'd you expect?)

 

My little brother owns the K240 studio (thanks yo DisCHORDDubstep) and absolutely loves them, and so do I. I think they sound AMAZING for only 88 euro's (that's about 105usd). So if you can get them for only 88USD, you can't really go wrong.

The build quality is pretty good by the way, you could even use them as portable if you don't mind them being quite big, and don't mind that they're open.

I never really take my HE-300 with me, afraid that something would happen to the cable or that it might get scratches, but with the K240's you shouldn't really worry about it.

post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post

The he-300 part you heard from me, didn't you?
It's actually true, the soundstage IS better than the HE-300's *talking about both unamped, that is* although the HE-300's shine out on pretty much anything else (but they're also 3 times the price, so what'd you expect?)

My little brother owns the K240 studio (thanks yo DisCHORDDubstep) and absolutely loves them, and so do I. I think they sound AMAZING for only 88 euro's (that's about 105usd). So if you can get them for only 88USD, you can't really go wrong.
The build quality is pretty good by the way, you could even use them as portable if you don't mind them being quite big, and don't mind that they're open.
I never really take my HE-300 with me, afraid that something would happen to the cable or that it might get scratches, but with the K240's you shouldn't really worry about it.
yep. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience