Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience - Page 3

post #31 of 175

For comfort get the velour pads it deepens the bass and cuts very little of the brightness and has a deeper opening. I had an overly bright problem too, and found out my cable was faulty. Inspect/replace your mini xlr cable, its pretty crappy from factory.

post #32 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdoo View Post

For comfort get the velour pads it deepens the bass and cuts very little of the brightness and has a deeper opening. I had an overly bright problem too, and found out my cable was faulty. Inspect/replace your mini xlr cable, its pretty crappy from factory.
so what should i look for in a faulty cable?... I don't know, so I'm interested..
post #33 of 175

My problem was by the ends of the cable where it meets by the jack on the headphone. I looked in-between those ridges and found the outer plastic was cut. I cut the wire to replace with my own jack from ebay. After cutting the cable i noticed the copper oxidized and leaked on the cotton membrane of the cable. This was a green/blue colour indicating the cable was cut and exposed to air. Problem was the green area was shorting the left and right channels. Also look at other cables in your setup, poor extension cables and connectors cause a terrible equalized type of sound which these headphones do reveal. Test between straight from dac and then from amplifier. I also had a faulty cable from my amp to my dac. Try to buy shielded cables whenever possible, the only real flaw with analog.

post #34 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdoo View Post

My problem was by the ends of the cable where it meets by the jack on the headphone. I looked in-between those ridges and found the outer plastic was cut. I cut the wire to replace with my own jack from ebay. After cutting the cable i noticed the copper oxidized and leaked on the cotton membrane of the cable. This was a green/blue colour indicating the cable was cut and exposed to air. Problem was the green area was shorting the left and right channels. Also look at other cables in your setup, poor extension cables and connectors cause a terrible equalized type of sound which these headphones do reveal. Test between straight from dac and then from amplifier. I also had a faulty cable from my amp to my dac. Try to buy shielded cables whenever possible, the only real flaw with analog.
ok... So much work lol... Is the xlr cable on the k240 supposed to be hard as h*** to pull out??
post #35 of 175

yeah, the headphone cable went bad about a couple months of me owning the headphone. I was a subtle change but definitely noticed a change. These are pretty dark sound headphones so there should be no bright spikes.

 

Just mashed that button in and pull on the cable. Its pretty hard, but the whole connecter its made out of metal for a reason.

 

This was a pain, but now I know not to cheap out on cables. If you are still under warranty give harman a ring maybe they will send another cable or check ebay/amazon, think i saw upgrade akg cables for $20-30.

post #36 of 175

My cable looks pretty good, I don't see any damage on it and it fits snugly. These are only a few days old but I still hear a pretty peaky 10K spike, then again I am coming from a very dead sounding 280 Pro to compare against. I wouldn't describe them as dark at all, more like airy-treble-forward cans with some warm mid-bass into lower midrange emphasis. Maybe a couple hundred hours of burn in could settle the treble out a bit. I'm kind of torn on these cans right now.

post #37 of 175

Oh ok, I didn't know your pair were still new. They do require quite a bit of burn in, just leave them playing over night at a moderate volume or witness the sound change. Try amping them from a HI-FI receiver to speed up the burn in.

post #38 of 175
Thanks yeah that's what I did for about 48 hours so far. Pink noise, nice and loud left on connected to my Pioneer receiver receiving the sound from an all in one PC I have. I'll give it a good 500 hours or so. Trying to keep it connected to there when I'm not using it.

I also use them through a Xonar DG on 64 ohm exciter mode, I don't really hear a big difference though between that and through my HTC One, which I believe I read has a better than average DAC for a smartphone.
Edited by metal571 - 4/5/14 at 3:47pm
post #39 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post

Thanks yeah that's what I did for about 48 hours so far. Pink noise, nice and loud left on connected to my Pioneer receiver receiving the sound from an all in one PC I have. I'll give it a good 500 hours or so. Trying to keep it connected to there when I'm not using it.

I also use them through a Xonar DG on 64 ohm exciter mode, I don't really hear a big difference though between that and through my HTC One, which I believe I read has a better than average DAC for a smartphone.
but then it has sound modifying beats audio, when its on and off. I use a Nokia Lumia 925, and it has a fantastic built in eq, with a great internal soundcard. Only thing is that they limited power output on them so that people with low impedance, high efficiency cans won't damage their ears.. I bypass this with my e11.
post #40 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

but then it has sound modifying beats audio, when its on and off. I use a Nokia Lumia 925, and it has a fantastic built in eq, with a great internal soundcard. Only thing is that they limited power output on them so that people with low impedance, high efficiency cans won't damage their ears.. I bypass this with my e11.

I always turn beats off lol its stupid. The volume is surprisingly good for this being a phone, and the 240s are a little harder to drive than my 280 Pro. I have an E6 but haven't noticed by much of a difference using it connected to an analog output, just makes the sound louder for higher power requiring headphones. I guess I would need a dedicated DAC/amp combo to improve any further. Sounds very good through the DG though.
post #41 of 175

Right now I'm figuring out what which Fiio portable amp to pick up. Im using the old Fiio E1 through iPhone 4 and it gives me moderately louder better sound by bypassing the internal headphone amp. I may shoot for the E11 and daisy chain it with the E1. 

post #42 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdoo View Post

Right now I'm figuring out what which Fiio portable amp to pick up. Im using the old Fiio E1 through iPhone 4 and it gives me moderately louder better sound by bypassing the internal headphone amp. I may shoot for the E11 and daisy chain it with the E1. 
get an e17, or just get one of fiio's wonderful(even tho I don't have one)portable music players, x3 and x5. Looking at specs they both have higher power output than the e11... Kind of sad. I have an e11. I think my next upgrade will either be the e17 for its eq and dac, or the e12 for its sheer power. E12 has a pretty high power output. Good for if you have higher impedance, low efficiency cans... Also good for if you want to get a bass massage.
post #43 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post

I own the HD280 Pro and just bought the AKG K240 Studio. My thoughts:

Wow, so much burn in change in a short time. After blasting some hardstyle through them the mid-bass really opened up and it is a warm and bright headphone to my ears. I think it's a little too bright, but I haven't burned them in enough yet. The bass really comes out though after just 3 hours of non-stop listening on day 1, and the soundstage is much better than the 280. I still prefer the more laid back sound of the 280 and the bass extension, but their HF extension isn't as good. For some reason, metal guitar sounds amazing on the AKGs though and that's what I'd use them for, a second opinion after tracking with the 280s.

Comfort is weird. I find the ear cups just not quite large enough and I end up tucking part of my upper earlobe into the cups. Really debating on whether I should return them but their sound has some seriously sweet mids and upper mids so I don't really want to lol

Anyone else find the K240s overly bright? There is a peak at 10K after looking at FR plots from multiple sites, I'm aware and I can definitely hear it. Just curious if that's going to smooth out any further over burn-in time.

Relatively new here, hopefully all my terminology is spot-on.


You're not alone in that impression of it being bright in the 10khz region. I noticed that 10khz spike on the K240 and it eventually wore me out and I lent the headphone to a friend. I could handle the spike if it had a smoother and cleaner treble like the DT 990, but sadly the treble is a bit rough and fatiguing. I loved its sound overall though. I've owned two K240s(Studio and MKII) clocking 100s of hours on each and heard a 3rd, they all had that spike.

post #44 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Well, I had to make a choice on audiophile cans 80$ or less, and the k240's blow away the competition in that price range imo.

I mean for $80, there are definitely a lot of other options. While they have an interesting sound signature, they weren't technically that great. If you gave me $80 to spend on a headphone, I'd probably pick the NVX XPT100 over it if I had to buy new, but used there are a plethora of other options, even within AKG. The K271 is a lot more neutral and I actually thought it was more fun for metal and other fast music. Or better yet, an older K240. I just sold a Sextett for $75, for example. And a DF went for $42 last week. A lot of the new sub-$100 bracket is bassy, which I guess does differentiate the K240S from the others, but blow away is definitely an overstatement.
post #45 of 175

I have the k240 mkii and even with burn-in, that 10khz spike is still there and is really annoying, it sounds very bright.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience