or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience - Page 17

post #241 of 254
I already use earpods by Apple, but I thought buying over ear headphones would be a better choice as I like music, a lot. My next thought is the pioneer hdj 1500. I find the 70 euro more expensive (150) but I want to make a choice I won't regret so, the cost isn't really a problem.

The site i am going to buy is this one https://www.skroutz.gr/c/1860/Over_Ear.html?utf8=✓&price_min=&price_max=150&button=
Do you have anything else to suggest? I don't want to give more than 150 for a 1st headphone.
Sent from my bacon!!!!!
Edited by NickosD - 11/7/15 at 5:05pm
post #242 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickosD View Post

I already use earpods by Apple, but I thought buying over ear headphones would be a better choice as I like music, a lot. My next thought is the pioneer hdj 1500. I find the 70 euro more expensive (150) but I want to make a choice I won't regret so, the cost isn't really a problem.

The site i am going to buy is this one https://www.skroutz.gr/c/1860/Over_Ear.html?utf8=✓&price_min=&price_max=150&button=
Do you have anything else to suggest? I don't want to give more than 150 for a 1st headphone.
Sent from my bacon!!!!!

Well, if you happen to like the K240 Studio but what it in a closed package, there is the K271 Mk. 2. It's essentially the same thing, but closed-back. It's a little more expensive than the 240S due to more accessories but you should be able to find one below EUR100.

post #243 of 254

I find them at 121 euro. With 20 more I can get the pioneer hdj 1500, which i believe is a better choice.

post #244 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickosD View Post
 

I find them at 121 euro. With 20 more I can get the pioneer hdj 1500, which i believe is a better choice.

Well, suit yourself. I don't have extensive experience with Pioneer headphones, but as far as I know they don't really make any headphones I could call outstanding.

post #245 of 254

i just got these cans recently and can't help but wonder how does the connector fare with constant plug/ unplug ?

Cause my carrying pouch can only fit these guys while they're unplugged, and i want to know if i should minimize abusing it :D

 

Any thought?

post #246 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee View Post
 

i just got these cans recently and can't help but wonder how does the connector fare with constant plug/ unplug ?

Cause my carrying pouch can only fit these guys while they're unplugged, and i want to know if i should minimize abusing it :D

 

Any thought?


Don't worry about it. Mine still work after all these years and it was the first headphone I bought. 

post #247 of 254

After demoing all kinds of mid/entry level cans: Ath-m50x, ath-m40x, mdr-v6, I tried the k240s and thought I found my preferred sound signature. I almost bought some q701 on a lighting deal for 129 but I had some buyer's remorse and cancelled the order. Bummer ... I shouldn't have done that.

 

I've been loving the 240s and unlike the others they seem to handle just about everything with good balance/neutrality without extreme, overdone bass or shrieking highs.

 

BUT today I was able to get he drivers popping and distorting like crazy on a bass heavy song (I won't admit what song it was)... OK fine Ke$ha take it off :) using Fiio e11k and I was able to repeat the popping with Fiio e07k. Admittedly, the volume was pretty high & not at a level I would want to maintain for long periods of time but hey I'd like to hit those levels every so often without fear.

 

I'm back at normal listening levels but now paranoid and probably gonna send them back. I may be back to the drawing board

 

Have I damaged anything? Anyone else experience popping drivers?


Edited by Thade - 12/30/15 at 7:27pm
post #248 of 254

are you sure the cans are clean?

sometimes you can find insects inside the cans or dirt and dust...

 

(had this with sennheisers - and with an old akg too)

 

this can explain the annoying rattling!

post #249 of 254
This often happens when your amp does not have enough power to handle the short surges caused by the change in dynamics in your music.

While I have never experienced clipping with the e 11, it's very unlikely I play my music as loud
post #250 of 254

Have K240 Studio for almost a month now.

Was test listening to M20X(not bad actually,less details and scene) Custom one Pro(dark) K550(boring flat muddy) Marshal Minor(great clear highs and mids but cartonish bass) some AKG Y50 Y55(really nice for onear )

 

Source for them is E10K and SMSL M3.

Comparing E10K to SMSL - very subtle differences, E10K sounds deffiitly closer to head and sound is somehow thin/tiny lacks of mass.

Like SMSL M3 a lot, except hiss on the earphones( Brainwavz delta 16omh)

 

Stock K240 Studio are not comfy pads, already after two weeks had enough of them.

Have done some research and got the Beyerdynamics Custom one Pro pads.

wow, those are really soft :)  :)  :) Now I can listening to music 

And have the impression that this midbas hoping is gone......

FOTOS

 

 

other options to consider are:

Beyerdnamics velour ones foto

Brainwavez HM5(this might look a bit of place) foto foto

some Shure ones (shure on the right, hybrids on the left) foto

 

Definitly will try HIFIMAN velour in the future foto

post #251 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechAgent View Post
 

 

Well upon further testing , I have found the right orientation which retains the fidelity 

 

I did 3 tests , 1 was with the above orientation (2 Foam disks) ,2 was the tape and one foam disk (Beyer one) , 3 was with the factory pads and foam 

 

1 was just a tad light in the bass , 2 had just a touch more , 3 was exactly as 2 

I am assuming the perceived bass response is the same , since 3 has a stiffer foam ,  its rolling off the highs , might have more perceived bass but in real testing the extension is about the same 

 

So I find 2 to be the most neutral without any loss in extension but more neutral treble , 1 was more bright and thin , 3.. well I don't think it needs any explanation 

2 , its going to be stable for several hours now and the comfort is excellent ! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can you (or anyone else here) elaborate on the tape mod that you used?  

 

Are there any other recommended mods when replacing the stock pads with the Beyerdynamic EDT 990 pads?  I've ordered myself a pair (black velour) and will be swapping them out soon, but I want to retain the stock sound quality as much as possible!


Edited by TheEldestBoy - 6/28/16 at 6:57am
post #252 of 254

I have my K240 with HIFIMAN Velour pads, and prefer it more than on leather ones ( Beyer custom one pro pads).

Not sure the Beyer EDT990 thickness but looks similar or a bit more thicker than Hifman ones.

Velour pads take away the warmness of pleather pads, K240 sounds brighter with these with same amount of base but with less impact in the midbase territory.If the pads are to thick you will get lot of sibilance.

 

People cover those inside holes to play with bass, try for yourself once you got them.

Recently I was thinking more of EDT770VB as the might might be a bit thinner or something diffidently thinner as the pads for AKG K915.

 

Let us now how do you like EDT990 :)

post #253 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by killz4gold View Post
 

I have my K240 with HIFIMAN Velour pads, and prefer it more than on leather ones ( Beyer custom one pro pads).

Not sure the Beyer EDT990 thickness but looks similar or a bit more thicker than Hifman ones.

Velour pads take away the warmness of pleather pads, K240 sounds brighter with these with same amount of base but with less impact in the midbase territory.If the pads are to thick you will get lot of sibilance.

 

People cover those inside holes to play with bass, try for yourself once you got them.

Recently I was thinking more of EDT770VB as the might might be a bit thinner or something diffidently thinner as the pads for AKG K915.

 

Let us now how do you like EDT990 :)

 

 

Thanks for the input killz4gold.

 

I tried the Beyerdynamic EDT990's yesterday; I put electrical tape over the holes in the back (same as MrTechAgent did in the post I quoted above).

 

Were they more comfortable than the stock pleather pads?  Hell YES!

 

Did they sounds as good as the stock pleather pads?  In my opinion, NO.

 

I kept a stock pleather pad on one ear and put a new pad on the other ear, so that I could listen to both at the same time and compare.

The bottom-end seemed to be lacking with the velour pad, despite adding the electrical tape.

 

In my opinion the AKG K240s are already light on the bottom-end to begin with, so taking any more bottom-end out of the equation isn't a good idea.

 

I'm glad that I gave it a shot, but I've decided that I'm just going to stick with the stock configuration for these cans.  Despite the relative discomfort of the pleather pads, I'm guessing that AKG designed the cans with these pads for a reason.


Edited by TheEldestBoy - 6/29/16 at 12:35pm
post #254 of 254

It's all up to personal preference.

Velour is simply much comfy especially on summer.

Most likely 990 pads are simply to thick and destroy the bas. Or might be get the superlux velour pads??

 

Get the Beyer Custom one Pro Soft leather pads then - those are supersoft but also have the holes on back

http://www.thomann.de/pl/beyerdynamic_dt770_ersatzohrpolster.htm

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience