that wood is made of coco lumber... you know, the one that disintigrates overtime like grado pads
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-W1000x Modded Re-cabled | Purrin's Mod | L3000 Pads Last post on 12/3/13 at 3:11pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Speakers vs Headphones Last post on 6/10/13 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Complete Guide to taking proper care of headphones Last post on 11/18/13 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best setup for under $1000 (headphone, amp, and dac) Last post on 4/15/13 at 2:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
The smallest, toughest, yet great sounding player you can buy. Though that really depends on your luck, but it can be found for as low as 20 euros on eBay, other classifieds, or your local...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
JPS Labs Abyss - Page 4
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 20710/10/12 at 12:30pmQuote:
So far, mine haven't disintegrated, cocobolo.post #48 of 20710/10/12 at 5:15pm
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xDpost #49 of 20710/10/12 at 6:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dyaems
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xD
O.K., so how long are headphone pads supposed to last in your estimation?post #50 of 20710/10/12 at 8:09pmpost #51 of 20710/12/12 at 11:30amQuote:
I think you're talking past each other. By "Coco Lumber" I think he means Coconut Timber, and you're talking about Cocobolo, which is an exotic hardwood.post #52 of 20710/12/12 at 1:38pmQuote:
I know. Should have put a smiley face next to cocobolo.post #53 of 20710/12/12 at 1:51pm
Okay, so these are 5K (thanks for the scoop anetdote)
This is not Stax or Sennheiser charging 5K after years of experience and major expenditure (not to mention bankruptcy in Stax's case) in the headphone arena as the pre-eminent headphones.
This is not Final Audio coming out with a ridiculous number and then selling 1 or 2 units.
This is a cable company, that, like many cable companies is well known for their markups that border on stickups trying to horn in on a "hot" high end headphone market which has just started to really breakout into mainstream audiophile publications and consciousness. It's bad for the consumers, bad for the perception of said consumers, and bad for the hobby as a whole.
I'd like to do an experiment here, but it would require the passive participation of everyone on the forum:
Don't buy these. Just don't. Let's see what a concerted effort by a large forum with untested influence can do to effect a greedy outsider company that thinks it can take advantage of us. Let's try to return a modicum of sanity to an increasingly spend-happy hobby that says more is better and new is better instead of rewarding innovation and R&D. It's not just for us - it's for our children. Our metaphorical children in the hobby, who may find themselves joining in 5, 10 years from now with 2K headphones being entry level high end with compromises and 10K not being out of the ordinary for "true high end" as the market sustains it.
Oh sure, no matter what there will be some online publications with little to no headphone experience that come out with overwhelmingly positive reviews. But don't let that sway you. If no one on this board buys a pair of these, it would set a precedent, an important one in a market that in many ways is still in its adolescence.
It's not like this is unbearably hard. Just don't send these guys $5,000.
Do it for the kids.
Edited by Radio_head - 10/12/12 at 1:57pmpost #54 of 20710/12/12 at 1:59pmpost #55 of 20710/12/12 at 2:10pm
The ABYSS AB-1266 Reference Headphone is being demonstrated at RMAF 2012 in Marriott Tower - Level 8 ~ 8000 along with Cavalipost #56 of 20710/12/12 at 2:38pmpost #57 of 20710/12/12 at 2:58pmpost #58 of 20710/12/12 at 3:06pm
That market has already been a lost cause for years. The headphone market is less sullied and it would be great to keep it that way.
Interesting thing about the light harmonic, it was originally 10K when they showed it off. They raised the price twice, to 14K and now upwards of that - both times just happened to be immediately after glowing reviews were published. Weiss did something similar, as did Antelope. The high-end audiophile market is greasier than the fast food market.post #59 of 20710/12/12 at 3:48pmIt's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.post #60 of 20710/12/12 at 4:21pm
Did listen to the Da Vinci DAC?Quote:Originally Posted by anetode
It's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.
- JPS Labs Abyss
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 3 seconds ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 6 seconds ago
- › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 4 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 4 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 5 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 6 minutes ago
- › With headphones can two supersonic tones (say 30k and 33K) at high... 7 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by boombox589
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi