that wood is made of coco lumber... you know, the one that disintigrates overtime like grado pads
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that seems to be highly regarded, but hasn't really...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from ALO/Campfire...
JPS Labs Abyss - Page 4
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 20710/10/12 at 12:30pmQuote:
So far, mine haven't disintegrated, cocobolo.post #48 of 20710/10/12 at 5:15pm
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xDpost #49 of 20710/10/12 at 6:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dyaems
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xD
O.K., so how long are headphone pads supposed to last in your estimation?post #50 of 20710/10/12 at 8:09pmpost #51 of 20710/12/12 at 11:30amQuote:
I think you're talking past each other. By "Coco Lumber" I think he means Coconut Timber, and you're talking about Cocobolo, which is an exotic hardwood.post #52 of 20710/12/12 at 1:38pmQuote:
I know. Should have put a smiley face next to cocobolo.post #53 of 20710/12/12 at 1:51pm
Okay, so these are 5K (thanks for the scoop anetdote)
This is not Stax or Sennheiser charging 5K after years of experience and major expenditure (not to mention bankruptcy in Stax's case) in the headphone arena as the pre-eminent headphones.
This is not Final Audio coming out with a ridiculous number and then selling 1 or 2 units.
This is a cable company, that, like many cable companies is well known for their markups that border on stickups trying to horn in on a "hot" high end headphone market which has just started to really breakout into mainstream audiophile publications and consciousness. It's bad for the consumers, bad for the perception of said consumers, and bad for the hobby as a whole.
I'd like to do an experiment here, but it would require the passive participation of everyone on the forum:
Don't buy these. Just don't. Let's see what a concerted effort by a large forum with untested influence can do to effect a greedy outsider company that thinks it can take advantage of us. Let's try to return a modicum of sanity to an increasingly spend-happy hobby that says more is better and new is better instead of rewarding innovation and R&D. It's not just for us - it's for our children. Our metaphorical children in the hobby, who may find themselves joining in 5, 10 years from now with 2K headphones being entry level high end with compromises and 10K not being out of the ordinary for "true high end" as the market sustains it.
Oh sure, no matter what there will be some online publications with little to no headphone experience that come out with overwhelmingly positive reviews. But don't let that sway you. If no one on this board buys a pair of these, it would set a precedent, an important one in a market that in many ways is still in its adolescence.
It's not like this is unbearably hard. Just don't send these guys $5,000.
Do it for the kids.
Edited by Radio_head - 10/12/12 at 1:57pmpost #54 of 20710/12/12 at 1:59pmpost #55 of 20710/12/12 at 2:10pm
The ABYSS AB-1266 Reference Headphone is being demonstrated at RMAF 2012 in Marriott Tower - Level 8 ~ 8000 along with Cavalipost #56 of 20710/12/12 at 2:38pmpost #57 of 20710/12/12 at 2:58pmpost #58 of 20710/12/12 at 3:06pm
That market has already been a lost cause for years. The headphone market is less sullied and it would be great to keep it that way.
Interesting thing about the light harmonic, it was originally 10K when they showed it off. They raised the price twice, to 14K and now upwards of that - both times just happened to be immediately after glowing reviews were published. Weiss did something similar, as did Antelope. The high-end audiophile market is greasier than the fast food market.post #59 of 20710/12/12 at 3:48pmIt's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.post #60 of 20710/12/12 at 4:21pm
Did listen to the Da Vinci DAC?Quote:Originally Posted by anetode
It's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.
- JPS Labs Abyss
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Music Game IX 5 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 24 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 32 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 37 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › Denver summer meet, 2016 - August 27 2 minutes ago
- › PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 5 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...