that wood is made of coco lumber... you know, the one that disintigrates overtime like grado pads
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 2/17/15 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
The Final Audio Design (FAD) Heaven VII was sent to me by Final UK as a part of the European review tour. I’d like to give them a big THANK YOU for including me on the tour and giving me a chance...
JPS Labs Abyss - Page 4
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 20710/10/12 at 12:30pmQuote:
So far, mine haven't disintegrated, cocobolo.post #48 of 20710/10/12 at 5:15pm
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xDpost #49 of 20710/10/12 at 6:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dyaems
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xD
O.K., so how long are headphone pads supposed to last in your estimation?post #50 of 20710/10/12 at 8:09pmpost #51 of 20710/12/12 at 11:30amQuote:
I think you're talking past each other. By "Coco Lumber" I think he means Coconut Timber, and you're talking about Cocobolo, which is an exotic hardwood.post #52 of 20710/12/12 at 1:38pmQuote:
I know. Should have put a smiley face next to cocobolo.post #53 of 20710/12/12 at 1:51pm
Okay, so these are 5K (thanks for the scoop anetdote)
This is not Stax or Sennheiser charging 5K after years of experience and major expenditure (not to mention bankruptcy in Stax's case) in the headphone arena as the pre-eminent headphones.
This is not Final Audio coming out with a ridiculous number and then selling 1 or 2 units.
This is a cable company, that, like many cable companies is well known for their markups that border on stickups trying to horn in on a "hot" high end headphone market which has just started to really breakout into mainstream audiophile publications and consciousness. It's bad for the consumers, bad for the perception of said consumers, and bad for the hobby as a whole.
I'd like to do an experiment here, but it would require the passive participation of everyone on the forum:
Don't buy these. Just don't. Let's see what a concerted effort by a large forum with untested influence can do to effect a greedy outsider company that thinks it can take advantage of us. Let's try to return a modicum of sanity to an increasingly spend-happy hobby that says more is better and new is better instead of rewarding innovation and R&D. It's not just for us - it's for our children. Our metaphorical children in the hobby, who may find themselves joining in 5, 10 years from now with 2K headphones being entry level high end with compromises and 10K not being out of the ordinary for "true high end" as the market sustains it.
Oh sure, no matter what there will be some online publications with little to no headphone experience that come out with overwhelmingly positive reviews. But don't let that sway you. If no one on this board buys a pair of these, it would set a precedent, an important one in a market that in many ways is still in its adolescence.
It's not like this is unbearably hard. Just don't send these guys $5,000.
Do it for the kids.
Edited by Radio_head - 10/12/12 at 1:57pmpost #54 of 20710/12/12 at 1:59pmpost #55 of 20710/12/12 at 2:10pm
The ABYSS AB-1266 Reference Headphone is being demonstrated at RMAF 2012 in Marriott Tower - Level 8 ~ 8000 along with Cavalipost #56 of 20710/12/12 at 2:38pmpost #57 of 20710/12/12 at 2:58pmpost #58 of 20710/12/12 at 3:06pm
That market has already been a lost cause for years. The headphone market is less sullied and it would be great to keep it that way.
Interesting thing about the light harmonic, it was originally 10K when they showed it off. They raised the price twice, to 14K and now upwards of that - both times just happened to be immediately after glowing reviews were published. Weiss did something similar, as did Antelope. The high-end audiophile market is greasier than the fast food market.post #59 of 20710/12/12 at 3:48pmIt's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.post #60 of 20710/12/12 at 4:21pm
Did listen to the Da Vinci DAC?Quote:Originally Posted by anetode
It's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.
- JPS Labs Abyss
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 8 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 22 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 53 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 54 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Ars Technica Tests "Audiophile Ethernet Cable" in Las Vegas 1 minute ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 3 minutes ago
- › Did an interesting benchmark on the Fiio X3ii, thought you guys... 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr & Lyr 2 Tube Compatibility List 6 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3