that wood is made of coco lumber... you know, the one that disintigrates overtime like grado pads
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Equipment to compare. iFi iDSD Black Label AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen Headphones (returned) Meridian Explorer 2 AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic A20 Amp (returned) HiFiMan X...
JPS Labs Abyss - Page 4
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 20710/10/12 at 12:30pmQuote:
So far, mine haven't disintegrated, cocobolo.post #48 of 20710/10/12 at 5:15pm
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xDpost #49 of 20710/10/12 at 6:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dyaems
no no no i think thats a different one. or maybe it applies only here in our country? we have these "coco lumber stores" here that when used in building a house or any furniture that is made from it, either it gets swarmed by termites or it just crumbles at certain point of time no matter how it was polished, varnished, or taken care of properly xD
O.K., so how long are headphone pads supposed to last in your estimation?post #50 of 20710/10/12 at 8:09pmpost #51 of 20710/12/12 at 11:30amQuote:
I think you're talking past each other. By "Coco Lumber" I think he means Coconut Timber, and you're talking about Cocobolo, which is an exotic hardwood.post #52 of 20710/12/12 at 1:38pmQuote:
I know. Should have put a smiley face next to cocobolo.post #53 of 20710/12/12 at 1:51pm
Okay, so these are 5K (thanks for the scoop anetdote)
This is not Stax or Sennheiser charging 5K after years of experience and major expenditure (not to mention bankruptcy in Stax's case) in the headphone arena as the pre-eminent headphones.
This is not Final Audio coming out with a ridiculous number and then selling 1 or 2 units.
This is a cable company, that, like many cable companies is well known for their markups that border on stickups trying to horn in on a "hot" high end headphone market which has just started to really breakout into mainstream audiophile publications and consciousness. It's bad for the consumers, bad for the perception of said consumers, and bad for the hobby as a whole.
I'd like to do an experiment here, but it would require the passive participation of everyone on the forum:
Don't buy these. Just don't. Let's see what a concerted effort by a large forum with untested influence can do to effect a greedy outsider company that thinks it can take advantage of us. Let's try to return a modicum of sanity to an increasingly spend-happy hobby that says more is better and new is better instead of rewarding innovation and R&D. It's not just for us - it's for our children. Our metaphorical children in the hobby, who may find themselves joining in 5, 10 years from now with 2K headphones being entry level high end with compromises and 10K not being out of the ordinary for "true high end" as the market sustains it.
Oh sure, no matter what there will be some online publications with little to no headphone experience that come out with overwhelmingly positive reviews. But don't let that sway you. If no one on this board buys a pair of these, it would set a precedent, an important one in a market that in many ways is still in its adolescence.
It's not like this is unbearably hard. Just don't send these guys $5,000.
Do it for the kids.
Edited by Radio_head - 10/12/12 at 1:57pmpost #54 of 20710/12/12 at 1:59pmpost #55 of 20710/12/12 at 2:10pm
The ABYSS AB-1266 Reference Headphone is being demonstrated at RMAF 2012 in Marriott Tower - Level 8 ~ 8000 along with Cavalipost #56 of 20710/12/12 at 2:38pmpost #57 of 20710/12/12 at 2:58pmpost #58 of 20710/12/12 at 3:06pm
That market has already been a lost cause for years. The headphone market is less sullied and it would be great to keep it that way.
Interesting thing about the light harmonic, it was originally 10K when they showed it off. They raised the price twice, to 14K and now upwards of that - both times just happened to be immediately after glowing reviews were published. Weiss did something similar, as did Antelope. The high-end audiophile market is greasier than the fast food market.post #59 of 20710/12/12 at 3:48pmIt's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.post #60 of 20710/12/12 at 4:21pm
Did listen to the Da Vinci DAC?Quote:Originally Posted by anetode
It's not a *bad* headphone, maybe competitive in the 300$ range. Though I'd still rather get an he400 from that segment. Detail wise it's outdone by the mad dogs and the he500, slam-wise it's outdone by the lcd3, soundstage-wise it's second to the yamaha yhd2 (despite being a very open design with deep pads). On the good side, it is very solidly built and comes with some seriously heavy duty cables. The abyss is also fairly even, despite having a bit of a sharp accent on the percussion that's reminiscent of the he6. Also like the he6 it has a very low sensitivity.
The people promoting the abyss are very nice, straightforward and ambitious. But the price is a joke.
- JPS Labs Abyss
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Westone W80 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › BeatsX 10 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 11 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 11 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 11 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 11 minutes ago
- › Watts Up...? 12 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 13 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear