Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JPS Labs Abyss
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JPS Labs Abyss - Page 13

post #181 of 207

I can't wait to hear reports about what this sound like.  I have very little regard for the way something looks when it comes to audio.  If I could try the new Jecklins and afford them, the way they look wouldn't hinder me in the least.  I want sound and a modicum of comfort.  Then again, HE-500s are my main headphone now, so even comfort can be negotiable.

post #182 of 207

This quite frankly, sucks bad. $6000 bucks for the cans, and $5000 for the Cavalli LF    VS.   $700 for my HE-5Le, and $450 for my Lyr, with maybe $200 in tubes, and the 5Le wins for sure, no doubt.

post #183 of 207
few years from now, we might see 5000usd headphones being branded as mid-fi
post #184 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

This quite frankly, sucks bad. $6000 bucks for the cans, and $5000 for the Cavalli LF    VS.   $700 for my HE-5Le, and $450 for my Lyr, with maybe $200 in tubes, and the 5Le wins for sure, no doubt.

Are you saying that because you heard it and it sounds worse (or not significantly better) than your setup, or is that just conjecture?

post #185 of 207

First of all its great too see impressions coming in.

 

I have to say things wrote in the likes of the Luxactic article are just hilarious as are some of the websites claims.....


Edited by Swimsonny - 4/16/13 at 5:43am
post #186 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

This quite frankly, sucks bad. $6000 bucks for the cans, and $5000 for the Cavalli LF    VS.   $700 for my HE-5Le, and $450 for my Lyr, with maybe $200 in tubes, and the 5Le wins for sure, no doubt.

 

Regarding the amp, it's the Cavalli Liquid Gold aka LAu, not the Liquid Fire. If you're going to talk authoritatively about products you've never actually listen to, at least take a moment to get the nomenclature right.

post #187 of 207

^ This.  We have enough disinformation and mistakes on Head-Fi already.

post #188 of 207

Sorry, i didn't mean they sounded bad, they just weren't significantly better. I prefered my setup due to the great difference in cost is what I meant.

 

And sorry he just told me it was a Cavalli, so I assumed it was the LF :/
 

post #189 of 207

I think he heard the Abyss at the NY show, otherwise this post would make zero sense.

post #190 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

I think he heard the Abyss at the NY show, otherwise this post would make zero sense.


That's correct :), heard em at the show

post #191 of 207

How loud would you say that area was at the show?  Another member mentioned it was hard to form any impression because of the noise level.  I had a similar issue at Axpona (besides for fit problems) which is why I haven't mentioned how I thought they sounded here.

post #192 of 207

Hopefully someone of experience with vintage orthos gets to review these. Give some perspective on where the technology is going.

post #193 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

How loud would you say that area was at the show?  Another member mentioned it was hard to form any impression because of the noise level.  I had a similar issue at Axpona (besides for fit problems) which is why I haven't mentioned how I thought they sounded here.


It was loud, but, I didn't have any problems judging any other headphones at the meet really, but i'm sure external noise played some role in my opinion

post #194 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

I think he heard the Abyss at the NY show, otherwise this post would make zero sense.


My bad. I mistook the post for a trolling attempt because it seemed like a rather left-field comparison to make. Seems to me like the Lyr and LAu are two distinct markets, and both are really good amps IMHO for what they are.

 

I mean the Lyr is good for the money, but In terms of absolute sonics I personally think the LAu wipes the floor with it. Whether that difference justifies the expense is another story, of course. So I see the OP's point as far as perceived value goes.


Edited by MuppetFace - 4/16/13 at 7:57am
post #195 of 207

Using the standard dogfighting analogy, the Lyr is like a chihuahua on steroids.  It will rip apart any other small dog with it's tenacity and penchant for barking with a spanish accent.  The Lau is like the motherfrackin' Hound of the Baskervilles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JPS Labs Abyss