To get them on loan, you sort of have to buy $270 worth of cables or headphones and then sell them off to make back the money.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
JPS Labs Abyss - Page 12
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #167 of 2074/12/13 at 12:37pmpost #168 of 2074/12/13 at 12:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Can you expand on what you heard?post #169 of 2074/12/13 at 9:14pmQuote:
Do they even sound better than the HD-800?post #170 of 2074/14/13 at 2:56pmpost #171 of 2074/14/13 at 3:03pm
^ What's up with this resonance control stuff? My Yamaha orthos are made of yellow plastic yet have almost zero audible resonance. Oh, and they have a disc of nylon at the back and a disc of knit wool at the front.post #172 of 2074/14/13 at 3:04pm
"Signed by JPS Labs, what we have here is not just a headset, but an absolutely exclusive way of enjoying the true tones of good music"
"They only weigh 660 grams, so they can even be used by girls, though they don’t look like anything for them."
This begs the questions... if it was not "signed" and thus not "absolutely exclusive", would one still be able to enjoy the "true tones of good music?"
Also... how many grams does a headphone have to weigh before it can not "even be used by girls?"
Seriously, the fact that one of these "bornrich.com" type websites is doing the first feature on these says a whole lot about their outlook on everything from headphone production to potential clientele. The LCD-3's were featured in a hundred different audio periodicals before hitting the Robb Report.post #173 of 2074/14/13 at 3:14pm
Oh how delicious. It is also featured on bornrich.com.
"When it comes to listening to ultra-high grade audio, the bigger brand names do pretty the trick of making customers buy their high priced products"
...do pretty the trick?
"But then, the next category refers to those who want something more; headphones which everyone would turn their head around to see, and make them stand apart from the rest of the crowd"
Because of course people will be wearing the Abyss in a crowd. The same headphones that are of questionable weight for a woman's head (or neck? Inferior spine? Still hung up on that to be honest... ) How is everyone going to turn thier head around to see? What if they are already facing you to begin with? Are they obligated by this article to do a Looney Tunes double take?
"We recently saw the $30,000 Monster black diamond headphones with the spider on it, and then there were toned down options like the Ultrasone Signature Pro headphones, and some of the Dr Dre headphones, which perhaps won't shock people as much. We gather that the latest Abyss AB-1266 headphones falls into this category, which never the less of premium fabrication of lambskin ear pads and a portable amplifier."
So we know the Abyss are less visually shocking than a pair of headphones with a giant glittery three dimensional spider on each cup - oh, lest I forget "which never the less of premium fabrication of lambskin ear pads and portable amplifier." Avoiding the nonsensical grammar... no I can't avoid that actually.
Also, does it come with a portable amplifier or is that part of the "fabrication?"
Edit- don't forget the press blurb on luxurytopics.com
Edited by Radio_head - 4/14/13 at 3:34pmpost #174 of 2074/14/13 at 3:27pm
The very fact that that "review" chose to draw upon comparisons between the Abyss and celebrity headphones, rather than against other audiophile headphones, means the review is worth absolutely nothing. It also doesn't bode well for what target audience the Abyss is trying to impress.post #175 of 2074/14/13 at 4:17pm
To be fair, any time a headphone over a certain amount is released these websites pick up on it like pigs sniffing out truffles in the mud. They did blurbs about the Muramasa (which ended up never getting an official release). Don't think it's JPS who is to blame for these reviews. It's also inevitable this will attract a certain crowd just based on the price. Like I said in another thread, these are the types of headphones that businessmen will buy just because it's expensive, listen to once, and then put back in the box until a high-profile client needs a gift. It's not true enthusiasm for audio, or even true enthusiasm for gear for its own sake, really.
Speakng of which, the comment about girls and the Abyss is up there with the most obnoxious things I've read in this hobby recently. I'm willing to bet I've heard more high-end gear than the assclown who wrote that.
But yeah, JPS is marketing the Abyss as being a serious tool for audiophiles. So far I don't think they even remotely have the interest of this market. I spoke to someone I know and trust who actually has an Abyss, and he really likes it, so I'm going to have to hear it for myself one way or another.post #176 of 2074/14/13 at 4:37pmpost #177 of 2074/14/13 at 5:10pmpost #178 of 2074/14/13 at 5:47pmpost #179 of 2074/15/13 at 6:20am
Let's put those 2 articles in perspective - websites like that rarely if ever have the actual product on hand for a "review". They just use marketing copy to write about how "luxuuuuuuurious" the thing is. If I had to guess I'd say that English was not the native language involved either.
As some have said - terrible articles, but not the fault of the Abyss folks.post #180 of 2074/15/13 at 6:58am
The atrocious writing is definitely not the fault of JPS if that's what I was putting out - I was saying that if these sites are similar to a sort of PR newswire site for "luxury goods" then JPS sending the press release to those types of sites show how they are marketing the product and the clientele they expect.
It is telling that each site talks about the "technical side" and then gives only three of the technical aspects (bandwidth, sensitivity, weight) available on the site while all omitting impedance and distortion. That indicates they all either received a stock press release from one source or one website featured it and the others copied. From the publication dates I would be inclined towards the latter.
- JPS Labs Abyss
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › are hifiman 400i's a worthy purchase? 51 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Best DAC for under 250€? 2 minutes ago
- › Mint Sennheiser HD-800 w/Stock Cable, Free Shipping 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 6 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 7 minutes ago
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...