To be used with my macbook pro and iphone without and amp
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 3/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- K550 Question! Last post on 7/1/14 at 10:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- JDS O2 + ODAC with my AKG K550 Last post on 6/25/14 at 3:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Closed headphones for <$200 Last post on 6/26/14 at 12:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 vs. AKG K550 Last post on 6/27/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Experience to be shared with 104 full-size, portable headphones and in-ears I have been using.... Last post on 6/18/14 at 5:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
I read several (a lot of) opinions about these headphones here on head-fi and also in other web forums. To be honest, after that i was pretty unsure about them. Nevertheless i ordered them, as...
Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, do you want something that touches your ears, or something that hovers around your ears?
I'd also steer you towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 at or around this price. Less isolation than the P5, but more balanced and refined sounding. They look pretty dapper too (I'm assuming aesthetics do matter, because of the models mentioned).
So P5 or ESW9 is where I'd go. P5 will be more durable and isolating, so if mobile is important, they're a better choice. They also have the ControlTalk cable that the ESW9 lack.
Ok, then look into:
AudioTechnica ESW9A (woodback)
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003, or NVX)
Fischer Audio FA002W (woodback)
Denon D5000 (woodback)
AKG K271 MK II
AKG K272 HD
Edited by MalVeauX - 10/2/12 at 12:29pm
I think style is really in the eye of the beholder.
Based on the altrock/indie thing, and my assumption that these need to be mobile, I would vote P5 all day. Forget I even mentioned the ESW9.
The K550 sounded nothing like "full sized open reference headphones" (whatever the heck that means) - they're closed-in, top-heavy, and nowhere near as detailed or accurate as I'd like for the price and the hype. They also fit pretty poorly, and were unimpressive to hold; again, for the price and the hype. The P5 aren't perfect, but for mobile headphones they're a better choice - they isolate better (which matters), are smaller (which matters), and are likely more durable.
I really wouldn't recommend the K550 for any reason, to anyone. If you want a good, closed, full-sized headphone, look at the Kenwood KH-K1000.
- Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 32 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › T1 for $650? 2 minutes ago
- › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 3 minutes ago
- › Questions about developing my PC audio system 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › M-Audio BX5 D2 by krishtrinity1
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)