To be used with my macbook pro and iphone without and amp
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 3/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- Closed can with good sound stage Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choosing my first "decent" over ear headphones? Last post on 9/15/14 at 1:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need help to buy my ideal headphones, for Rock and Metal, between $150 and $200. Last post on 9/26/14 at 6:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance? Last post on 10/19/14 at 6:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can't seem to decide on a set of headphones, would like some help. Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, do you want something that touches your ears, or something that hovers around your ears?
I'd also steer you towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 at or around this price. Less isolation than the P5, but more balanced and refined sounding. They look pretty dapper too (I'm assuming aesthetics do matter, because of the models mentioned).
So P5 or ESW9 is where I'd go. P5 will be more durable and isolating, so if mobile is important, they're a better choice. They also have the ControlTalk cable that the ESW9 lack.
Ok, then look into:
AudioTechnica ESW9A (woodback)
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003, or NVX)
Fischer Audio FA002W (woodback)
Denon D5000 (woodback)
AKG K271 MK II
AKG K272 HD
Edited by MalVeauX - 10/2/12 at 12:29pm
I think style is really in the eye of the beholder.
Based on the altrock/indie thing, and my assumption that these need to be mobile, I would vote P5 all day. Forget I even mentioned the ESW9.
The K550 sounded nothing like "full sized open reference headphones" (whatever the heck that means) - they're closed-in, top-heavy, and nowhere near as detailed or accurate as I'd like for the price and the hype. They also fit pretty poorly, and were unimpressive to hold; again, for the price and the hype. The P5 aren't perfect, but for mobile headphones they're a better choice - they isolate better (which matters), are smaller (which matters), and are likely more durable.
I really wouldn't recommend the K550 for any reason, to anyone. If you want a good, closed, full-sized headphone, look at the Kenwood KH-K1000.
- Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 39 seconds ago
- › Let's try this again....need my first nice pair of headphones 1 minute ago
- › New to Full size headphones and need helpful advice on choosing a... 1 minute ago
- › FS Only: Refurb'd ATH-M50 2 minutes ago
- › **Potential Meet for Atlanta Area** 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › FS - HiFiMan HE-400 modded w/open grill and Focus pads 6 minutes ago
- › New Headphones Recommendations 6 minutes ago
- › This auction should be interesting.... 7 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)