To be used with my macbook pro and iphone without and amp
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 3/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphones for movies? Last post on 2/19/15 at 3:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Amping the Alpha Dogs Last post on 2/11/15 at 6:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 2/13/15 at 12:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 2/11/15 at 1:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- nexus 6 / avg550 - portable DAC/amp recommendations Last post on 2/13/15 at 10:47am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, do you want something that touches your ears, or something that hovers around your ears?
I'd also steer you towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 at or around this price. Less isolation than the P5, but more balanced and refined sounding. They look pretty dapper too (I'm assuming aesthetics do matter, because of the models mentioned).
So P5 or ESW9 is where I'd go. P5 will be more durable and isolating, so if mobile is important, they're a better choice. They also have the ControlTalk cable that the ESW9 lack.
Ok, then look into:
AudioTechnica ESW9A (woodback)
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003, or NVX)
Fischer Audio FA002W (woodback)
Denon D5000 (woodback)
AKG K271 MK II
AKG K272 HD
Edited by MalVeauX - 10/2/12 at 12:29pm
I think style is really in the eye of the beholder.
Based on the altrock/indie thing, and my assumption that these need to be mobile, I would vote P5 all day. Forget I even mentioned the ESW9.
The K550 sounded nothing like "full sized open reference headphones" (whatever the heck that means) - they're closed-in, top-heavy, and nowhere near as detailed or accurate as I'd like for the price and the hype. They also fit pretty poorly, and were unimpressive to hold; again, for the price and the hype. The P5 aren't perfect, but for mobile headphones they're a better choice - they isolate better (which matters), are smaller (which matters), and are likely more durable.
I really wouldn't recommend the K550 for any reason, to anyone. If you want a good, closed, full-sized headphone, look at the Kenwood KH-K1000.
- Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Musician's In-Ear Monitors - FINALLY! 48 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 52 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 1 minute ago
- › Why don't these pads exist? ..Or do they? 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 DUOZA dual dynamic driver iem 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2