rumbling bass is goood......
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSony mdr xb 1000tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSony MDR-XB600/B Black | EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 10/5/12
- productSony MDR-XB800tagged by System, 10/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-XB 500 and the Denon AH-D2000....Which has better bass? Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for EXTREME BASS Last post on 6/23/13 at 10:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Sony Extra Bass MDR-XB600 & MDR-XB800 unboxing videos Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:10pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphone Suggestion? Last post on 9/21/12 at 2:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best bass headphone under 300$ Last post on 7/5/13 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
Xb500 Conclusion & XB600-XB800 review. - Page 2post #16 of 5010/3/12 at 12:13am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 5010/3/12 at 3:06ampost #18 of 5010/3/12 at 8:40amQuote:Originally Posted by astroid
MDR-V55 are much better than my old studios, so are the Denon D1100. IMO
to elaborate slightly - the bass on the V55 is deeper whilst the mids are not recessed as they are in the studios , mids are not raped by the bass either.
The studios bass is nicer than the Denons but the Denons trump the studios in mids/treble.
How do the highs on the V55's compare to the XB500's or Studios?post #19 of 5010/3/12 at 9:18am
So I wanted to chime in a little bit. The XB series has an emphasis on bass, but each headphone has a different way of emphasizing it. Example, the XB500 which is a popular recommendation among the forums for having heavy bass impact quantity, but without having excessive bleeding into the mid lows/mids.The higher end of the XB-series will have an emphasis on bass tightness and extension. They're more towards those who want a more accurate portrayal of the original sound which cuts back on that bass-head loved impact.
My point however that I do wish to make: Regardless of how much bass emphasis you put on a headphone, if a song doesn't have bass, there's only so much equipment and EQ that will give it more bass. Simply because the headphone doesn't give a ton of bass impact doesn't make it a bad headphone or justify different prices, it means that the individual has a different taste in sound signatures.
post #20 of 5010/3/12 at 7:06pmThread Starter
Yes. I personally hate beats. I was trying to be nice to those people who burned 300 - 500 dollars on those **** cans. It can be pretty depressing when you get negative feed back after spending that much.post #21 of 5010/3/12 at 7:10pmThread StarterQuote:
That's because you don't like in your face bass. There are different types of bass; Punchy bass like 500 and more refined bass and lower frequency response bass like the higher XB's. I'm into the Punchy bass which is represented by the XB500'spost #22 of 5010/3/12 at 7:26pmThread StarterQuote:
You're right. The bass is just, in my opinion, pointless. It goes to frequencies that aren't necessary. The punchiness of bass is pretty much all there is to bass. Without punchiness, it's just a deep noise, not bass. Bass should have a strong punch and have a little wind to it. XB1000 fails to deliver. Although they aren't bad. They're much better than XB500, but not bass wise.post #23 of 5010/3/12 at 7:28pmLol, your name is heavy bass. The weight of bass comes from those 'pointless' regions of bass, not the mid bass fart cannons like the XB500, which is a mess of midbass.
Try on a pair of D7000 which is more sub bass than midbass, and call it pointless...post #24 of 5010/3/12 at 7:29pmQuote:
Yet, I like the Pro 900 which is a mid bass MONSTER, and makes the XB500 sound like a headphone that ate too much refried bean dip. That's mid bass done right.post #25 of 5010/3/12 at 10:44pmQuote:
LOL it's not really fair to compare a $50-XB500 to a D7000. To give credit where due, having been through a number of bass-forward phones (HFI-780, Pro900, D2000, D5000 to name a few) I still own and occasionally enjoy the XB500. They're fart cannons, there's nothing clean about them, but for that car audio sound there's nothing quite like them.post #26 of 5010/3/12 at 11:44pmpost #27 of 5010/4/12 at 12:08ampost #28 of 5010/4/12 at 10:36amThread StarterQuote:
Don't hate, you have your opinions of bass and I have my own. The D7000's are far better than XB500, but take a look at the price and then try comparing them again. Xb500 has okay SQ with drowned out mids and highs by the excessive sub bass, which is the Xtra bass in XB. This is how wars start, two opinions resulting in conflict. Lets just say D7000's have great SQ and deep bass and XB500 has okay SQ with punchy sub bass. Are we good?post #29 of 5010/4/12 at 11:23amQuote:
How is 60hz and below pointless, by anyone's standards?post #30 of 5010/4/12 at 12:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by heavybass212
Don't hate, you have your opinions of bass and I have my own. The D7000's are far better than XB500, but take a look at the price and then try comparing them again. Xb500 has okay SQ with drowned out mids and highs by the excessive sub bass, which is the Xtra bass in XB. This is how wars start, two opinions resulting in conflict. Lets just say D7000's have great SQ and deep bass and XB500 has okay SQ with punchy sub bass. Are we good?
well subbass will not give you punchyness, its mostly the midbass and some highbass that gives the edge in the bass which gives the punch
subbass is the filling and weight to the bass, so ie a mid and highbassy headphone punches, but with no force, but a headphone with only subbass shakes your head but doesnt hit you, a balance between all 3 aspects will give you tight punchy bass with good impact
- Xb500 Conclusion & XB600-XB800 review.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 53 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South... 3 minutes ago
- › High End CIEM/IEM Thread! 3 minutes ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude