Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Reshelling JH audio customs and getting customs in general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reshelling JH audio customs and getting customs in general

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

So There are a couple pair of JH16 and JH13's for sale for a decent price and I thought WOW I could afford the amazing JH16's! but then I found out JH doesn't do reshells matter in fact they seem to be not very good at shelling period, so I would have to find another company to do it and there not going to have the same driver placment/tubes and what not so they probably wont even sound as good.

 

I have also been thinking about getting a new pair but I could only afford the JH5's or 7's maybe the 10X3's or the 11's but thats pushing it. And from what I have read about the shelling and fit they are horrible and a pain to deal with... to me it sounds like JH doesn't really care unless your Slipknot or Linkin Park. I don't have money to send them back to JH 5 times or time to deal with it.If

 

 I did re shell them what company should I go with? I just don't want to waste the money knowing they will never be ass good as JH origonals.

 

Heir Audio

Unique Melody

Fisher Audio

1964 Ears

 

Who would be the best?

 

Or maybe I should just get some UM or UE customs? People say the JH's are better but idk this is really a big headache. I might just get some SE535's or W3 or 4R's and be happy.

post #2 of 20

I bought my JH5 directly from JH and it was a good experience but you are right I was not that impressed by the shell work (its perfect but doesn't look that nice) and it took a little long at 6 weeks but fit is perfect and customer service was very nice when I called to get updates. I usually get a case of upgradeitis quickly but Ive had my JH5 for awhile and I still do NOT regret buying the cheapest model and not going for a JH10X3 cause seriously these are already very very good headphones. I feel like these are so good that diminishing returns kick in very quickly especially since every jump up the ladder to the JH16 is so huge money wise.

The cheapest from that list is Fisher ($150) (who have a giant appreciation thread with a very high amount of headfiers going through them and very few complaints) you should probably look through that.

post #3 of 20

First off, you're going to have to decide from the bottom of your heart if you're going to go the custom route, because once you do, there's no coming back.

 

Second, you're going to have to accept the fact that you will never know if the new reshelled JH13/16s are going to sound the same as the originals. However, you should note that it seems most everyone who has got theirs reshelled are satisfied with the sound completely and have no regrets, bonus because of the money they saved.

 

Now I do not know about 1964 but I have come across plenty of people who have got their customs reshelled by UM, Heir, and Fischer. I've only seen positive feedback from UM and Heir, but some negatives with Fischer. They say UM's quality is top notch, no bubbles at all, basically perfect. The same, they say, goes for Heir. However, Heir is much cheaper than UM at only $70 compared to Fischer's $150 like the above claims, and UM's 170.

 

Now, the thing is, UM does their best to make the reshell be exactly like the original, and they're smart about it. But don't let this turn you off because they're still using the same drivers, so there's no reason it's going to sound different. All of the companies measure the sound so that it matches before the reshell, and after the reshell.

 

If I were you, I would get a used JH13/16 reshelled by UM or Heir, than buy a JH5; there's so much more potential for regret with the JH5, and then so much more chance for bliss with the JH13/16 reshell.

 

If you're skeptical, search on the forums and ask a couple people who got their customs reshelled. I'm pretty sure you'll be swayed by then.

 

Oh and by the way, JH isn't "better." I'm not sure who's telling you this, but every company's products sound different, but none necessarily "better" in general than the rest. That's just silly, and probably coming from some inexperienced people who have not even heard the products. E.g. the Westone ES5 has glorious mids for vocals, and punchy bass, while the JH16 has glorious subbass for rockers. UM Merlin as well since they use dynamic drivers. Research more upon it. Know what kind of genre you listen to and choose accordingly.

 

 

Lastly, alv said Fischer is the cheapest at $150. Heir is $70. You need to do research before answering. Fischer had some quality issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

So There are a couple pair of JH16 and JH13's for sale for a decent price and I thought WOW I could afford the amazing JH16's! but then I found out JH doesn't do reshells matter in fact they seem to be not very good at shelling period, so I would have to find another company to do it and there not going to have the same driver placment/tubes and what not so they probably wont even sound as good.

 

I have also been thinking about getting a new pair but I could only afford the JH5's or 7's maybe the 10X3's or the 11's but thats pushing it. And from what I have read about the shelling and fit they are horrible and a pain to deal with... to me it sounds like JH doesn't really care unless your Slipknot or Linkin Park. I don't have money to send them back to JH 5 times or time to deal with it.If

 

 I did re shell them what company should I go with? I just don't want to waste the money knowing they will never be ass good as JH origonals.

 

Heir Audio

Unique Melody

Fisher Audio

1964 Ears

 

Who would be the best?

 

Or maybe I should just get some UM or UE customs? People say the JH's are better but idk this is really a big headache. I might just get some SE535's or W3 or 4R's and be happy.


Edited by Girls Generation - 10/1/12 at 8:31pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

First off, you're going to have to decide from the bottom of your heart if you're going to go the custom route, because once you do, there's no coming back.

 

Second, you're going to have to accept the fact that you will never know if the new reshelled JH13/16s are going to sound the same as the originals. However, you should note that it seems most everyone who has got theirs reshelled are satisfied with the sound completely and have no regrets, bonus because of the money they saved.

 

Now I do not know about 1964 but I have come across plenty of people who have got their customs reshelled by UM, Heir, and Fischer. I've only seen positive feedback from UM and Heir, but some negatives with Fischer. They say UM's quality is top notch, no bubbles at all, basically perfect. The same, they say, goes for Heir. However, Heir is much cheaper than UM at only $70 compared to Fischer's $150 like the above claims, and UM's 170.

 

Now, the thing is, UM does their best to make the reshell be exactly like the original, and they're smart about it. But don't let this turn you off because they're still using the same drivers, so there's no reason it's going to sound different. All of the companies measure the sound so that it matches before the reshell, and after the reshell.

 

If I were you, I would get a used JH13/16 reshelled by UM or Heir, than buy a JH5; there's so much more potential for regret with the JH5, and then so much more chance for bliss with the JH13/16 reshell.

 

If you're skeptical, search on the forums and ask a couple people who got their customs reshelled. I'm pretty sure you'll be swayed by then.

 

Oh and by the way, JH isn't "better." I'm not sure who's telling you this, but every company's products sound different, but none necessarily "better" in general than the rest. That's just silly, and probably coming from some inexperienced people who have not even heard the products. E.g. the Westone ES5 has glorious mids for vocals, and punchy bass, while the JH16 has glorious subbass for rockers. UM Merlin as well since they use dynamic drivers. Research more upon it. Know what kind of genre you listen to and choose accordingly.

 

 

Lastly, alv said Fischer is the cheapest at $150. Heir is $70. You need to do research before answering. Fischer had some quality issues as well.

Great response - thanks Girls Generation!

 

I jumped on here because I am toying with a similar question. I don't want to hijack the thread and I think this question fits the theme and might help others:

 

I currently have the Shure SE535 LE and have maxed out their potential with a custom cable and finding the right tips for me. I am trying to work out (similar to ScaryFatKidGT) if the step up to say the UM Miracles will be worth the financial leap from the 535s. Any thoughts?

post #5 of 20

Im not 100% sure because I can't find it on their website but I dont think Heir even provides a true remold service. That $70 I know for sure is an ownership transfer service which is just a remold service for someone who buys a Heir custom IEM second hand and wants to mold it to their ears only. + shipping to China even once (and hope for a perfect fit on the first try) is a lot more expensive than shipping to Florida for someone in the USA (and Inearz/Fishers is already included shipping even in the case of refits). And no I don't work or have any affiliation with any of the companies Im mentioning.

Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

 

Lastly, alv said Fischer is the cheapest at $150. Heir is $70. You need to do research before answering. Fischer had some quality issues as well.

post #6 of 20

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603894/needed-feebback-of-some-reshell-companies#post_8276544

 

There you go alv. Googled it.

 

That's just a matter of finding out how to get the proper molds done, which is easily accessible if you search on the forums a bit. I have quite a wealth of experience with getting ear impressions done since I have gone through multiple different audiologists and at least six or seven impressions, finally realizing the most optimal process.

 

Shipping to China isn't that terribly more costly, it just takes a wee bit longer, though not always true since I've had shipments reach their destinations in China much quicker than shipments to the US, both being around the same estimated delivery times. Honestly it is a non-issue unless the person is extremely pedantic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

Im not 100% sure because I can't find it on their website but I dont think Heir even provides a true remold service. That $70 I know for sure is an ownership transfer service which is just a remold service for someone who buys a Heir custom IEM second hand and wants to mold it to their ears only. + shipping to China even once (and hope for a perfect fit on the first try) is a lot more expensive than shipping to Florida for someone in the USA (and Inearz/Fishers is already included shipping even in the case of refits). And no I don't work or have any affiliation with any of the companies Im mentioning.

post #7 of 20

From what I can tell from your own link shipping cost $60 to Heir from the USA which is where it OP is located ($60 vs $3 (cost when I shipped an IEM to Florida a few months ago) seems like a big difference to me). Also in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/584763/heir-audio-the-appreciation-thread/1080 specifically posts 1090 and 1091 I believe the remold is probably $240 from Heir (Still not 100% sure but I am 100% it doesn't cost $70 like you claim). After doing some research I think $150 is less than $240+$60 right?

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

From what I can tell from your own link shipping cost $60 to Heir from the USA which is where it OP is located ($60 vs $3 (cost when I shipped an IEM to Florida a few months ago) seems like a big difference to me). Also in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/584763/heir-audio-the-appreciation-thread/1080 specifically posts 1090 and 1091 I believe the remold is probably $240 from Heir (Still not 100% sure but I am 100% it doesn't cost $70 like you claim). After doing some research I think $150 is less than $240+$60 right?

 

The shipping cost is really something to take into consideration as well, because if your impressions aren't perfect (which they rarely are), then you'll be shipping them back for refits multiple times, which can really add up. For customs, I would try and go with something that's within the same country. This would also help reduce wait times in between refits, which can really become frustrating after a while. I'm on my 3rd set of customs, and I've yet to have a perfect fit the first time around. 

post #9 of 20

You're comparing a shipping method that is tracked and insured and gets there relatively fast to standard airmail.

 

I've read differently in a couple different places remolds from Heir was $70 even for non-Heir products...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

From what I can tell from your own link shipping cost $60 to Heir from the USA which is where it OP is located ($60 vs $3 (cost when I shipped an IEM to Florida a few months ago) seems like a big difference to me). Also in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/584763/heir-audio-the-appreciation-thread/1080 specifically posts 1090 and 1091 I believe the remold is probably $240 from Heir (Still not 100% sure but I am 100% it doesn't cost $70 like you claim). After doing some research I think $150 is less than $240+$60 right?

post #10 of 20
I have customs from both UM and 1964-Ears. I'd give the edge to UM on shell construction, but 1964-Ears are perfectly reasonable. I'd go with them for the ease of shipping and they've got excellent service.
post #11 of 20

I believe they ALL have excellent service. tongue.gif It'll just be up to the OP to choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroseperry View Post

I have customs from both UM and 1964-Ears. I'd give the edge to UM on shell construction, but 1964-Ears are perfectly reasonable. I'd go with them for the ease of shipping and they've got excellent service.
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 

Well I read JH has different driver positioning and the way the sound tubes come together makes them sound better.

 

So Heir and UM are in China and Fisher and 1964 ears are US? and Fisher will pay for shipping both ways???

 

Are there any good reviews/comparison of all the top CIEM (UM, UE, JH)? The 16's are available to me right now.

 

I just don't want to wind up re-selling what ever I get due to them not working or paying over $100 extra to ship crap 5 or 6 times. People are selling brand new JH16's due to having them refit 7 times and not wanting to continue, id fly to JH and tell them I'm not leaving till they fit before I sold a $1000 IEM at a loss.

post #13 of 20

Driver positioning and etc. os not rocket science. They also measure everything to match.

 

Go search the forums for reviews/comparisons, it's filled with them.

 

Having to refit is because your audiologist sucks, as well as you fail. There is a specific process you can follow and it will pretty much guarantee a good fit the first try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Well I read JH has different driver positioning and the way the sound tubes come together makes them sound better.

 

So Heir and UM are in China and Fisher and 1964 ears are US? and Fisher will pay for shipping both ways???

 

Are there any good reviews/comparison of all the top CIEM (UM, UE, JH)? The 16's are available to me right now.

 

I just don't want to wind up re-selling what ever I get due to them not working or paying over $100 extra to ship crap 5 or 6 times. People are selling brand new JH16's due to having them refit 7 times and not wanting to continue, id fly to JH and tell them I'm not leaving till they fit before I sold a $1000 IEM at a loss.

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

I believe they ALL have excellent service. tongue.gif  It'll just be up to the OP to choose.

There was some bumpiness with the UM (not UN, it was not a security council matter) group buy, but that might have been a one off.
Edited by rroseperry - 10/2/12 at 12:15pm
post #15 of 20

For the of quickness and/or lower cost of shipping, I would go with 1964 ears. They seem to have pretty nice build quality also. I had a pair of TF10's reshelled by Fisher, and while they were fine, the build quality seemed a bit under that of my Ultimate Ears customs, which IMO, while not bad, aren't all that fantastic either.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Reshelling JH audio customs and getting customs in general