Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking to upgrade to new Headphones / Should I just get an amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to upgrade to new Headphones / Should I just get an amp - Page 2

post #16 of 30
The E11 puts out about 30 percent more power than the E17.

I like the idea that purple angel mentioned of getting the E11 and possibly the E10 for the laptop. You will get more power out of your portable rig and have more power at your desk. This could be desireable if you ever end up with 250 or 300 ohm headphones. If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars you can order the Fire Phoenix from china which has rave reviews for $110 dollars but lets not get ahead of ourselves. You can start with the E11.

If you want to save a few bucks on the LOD cable (Line Out Dock cable) then order this one:

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-line-out-dock-cable-for-ipod-and-iphone-p-36.html

This is what purple is talking about to bypass the amp in the ipod and use the E11's amp instead. Much much nicer.

E11+L3cable +charger+battery = 75 bucks.

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-e11-portable-headphone-amplifier-black-p-50.html

(note on link that the E11 comes with the "accessory package" wich includes the extra batt and charger. The E11 also acts as a charger itself when plugged into a standard USB).
post #17 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

The E11 puts out about 30 percent more power than the E17.
I like the idea that purple angel mentioned of getting the E11 and possibly the E10 for the laptop. You will get more power out of your portable rig and have more power at your desk. This could be desireable if you ever end up with 250 or 300 ohm headphones. If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars you can order the Fire Phoenix from china which has rave reviews for $110 dollars but lets not get ahead of ourselves. You can start with the E11.
If you want to save a few bucks on the LOD cable (Line Out Dock cable) then order this one:
http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-line-out-dock-cable-for-ipod-and-iphone-p-36.html
This is what purple is talking about to bypass the amp in the ipod and use the E11's amp instead. Much much nicer.
E11+L3cable +charger+battery = 75 bucks.
http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-e11-portable-headphone-amplifier-black-p-50.html
(note on link that the E11 comes with the "accessory package" wich includes the extra batt and charger. The E11 also acts as a charger itself when plugged into a standard USB).

 

Awesome, well I'll pick up an E11 and a LOD cable and come back with how it sounds!

post #18 of 30
Yes I would love to hear how it turns out. Somehow I feel you won't be disappointed.
post #19 of 30

E10, E11, E17 are great options at their price range - depending on what you want

 

I have the same music preferences, you can find a used D2000 and D5000 (works quite nicely with my E10) and also consider HE-400

post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

E10, E11, E17 are great options at their price range - depending on what you want

 

I have the same music preferences, you can find a used D2000 and D5000 (works quite nicely with my E10) and also consider HE-400

 

Consider getting some proper desktop amp with near-to-zero impedance and high current output, you can get more from your D2000 that way... I am not sure about D5000 performance but from frequency response graph, it looks like something I do not want to hear - too much bass, too much treble.

 

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHOE View Post

 

Consider getting some proper desktop amp with near-to-zero impedance and high current output, you can get more from your D2000 that way... I am not sure about D5000 performance but from frequency response graph, it looks like something I do not want to hear - too much bass, too much treble.

 

 

I have a JDS Labs O2 - 0.5 ohms output impedance (works well with both D2000 and especially HE-500 in my experience)

 
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

I have a JDS Labs O2 - 0.5 ohms output impedance (works well with both D2000 and especially HE-500 in my experience)

 

 

Oh, I see it now in your signature... 

post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHOE View Post

 

Oh, I see it now in your signature... 

 

Np. Also FR graphs tend to vary depending on the technique used. I much prefer a waterfall plot chart to actually tell you what's really going on - given that you can find it for that specific material. I know there are some out for the Hifiman models as well as Audeze.

post #24 of 30
Thread Starter 

So loving the amp but my headphones seem to rattle a bit when it's pretty loud w/ a heavy bass songs, these headphones are about 4 yrs old, not sure if they just got a bit worn out or what.  What would be some good suggestions at $200, $300, $400 and $500 range?

post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark8923 View Post

So loving the amp but my headphones seem to rattle a bit when it's pretty loud w/ a heavy bass songs, these headphones are about 4 yrs old, not sure if they just got a bit worn out or what.  What would be some good suggestions at $200, $300, $400 and $500 range?

 

Assuming for electronica (dubstep, house, trance)

At the $200 range - Ultrasone HFI models

 

At the $300 - $400 - Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D2000/5000, HE-400, Beyerdynamic DT990

 

At the $500 range - D7000, used HE-500....I've seen LCD-2 Rev 1 go used for 600ish couple of times on the sale trade forums here. Also, you can perhaps get two headphones, like Pro 900 and D2000 - sub-bass with D2000 and Pro 900 for extra mid-bass thump and speed

post #26 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Assuming for electronica (dubstep, house, trance)

At the $200 range - Ultrasone HFI models

 

At the $300 - $400 - Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D2000/5000, HE-400, Beyerdynamic DT990

 

At the $500 range - D7000, used HE-500....I've seen LCD-2 Rev 1 go used for 600ish couple of times on the sale trade forums here. Also, you can perhaps get two headphones, like Pro 900 and D2000 - sub-bass with D2000 and Pro 900 for extra mid-bass thump and speed

 

Should have specified, I'll need closed back headphones as I'll use these at work

post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark8923 View Post

 

Should have specified, I'll need closed back headphones as I'll use these at work

 

In that case, you are left with Ultrasone pro 900 - Both my Denon's and Hifiman leak. Isolation wise they are both fine though.

post #28 of 30
Isn't there somewhere he can send his 770?.... There is no reason they should rattle (unless he's using them at INSANE volumes???). I have the '95 premiums and they aren't "worn out".... maybe there is a hair in the driver? OP you should try pulling off the pads and making sure they are clean. That is really strange. I have heard about hairs getting in the driver and causing a rattling sound.
post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Isn't there somewhere he can send his 770?.... There is no reason they should rattle (unless he's using them at INSANE volumes???). I have the '95 premiums and they aren't "worn out".... maybe there is a hair in the driver? OP you should try pulling off the pads and making sure they are clean. That is really strange. I have heard about hairs getting in the driver and causing a rattling sound.

Yeah... it's only the right one that really rattles

post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark8923 View Post

Yeah... it's only the right one that really rattles

Ok well pull off the right ear pad and carefully clean and try to see if there are any hairs in there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking to upgrade to new Headphones / Should I just get an amp