Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Macbook Pro Retina 24/192?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macbook Pro Retina 24/192?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Just need clarification on whether or not this is possible directly via optical out (mini-toslink) or USB? If not, I'm assuming I need some kind of adaptor like a USB to SPDIF? A little confused because I'm aware that iMacs can output 24/192 via mini toslink but am unsure about other Mac products. From what I have read, it seems that the software supports it but not the hardware. Others say the opposite. Any help would be great smile.gif


Edited by coolguyalex - 9/30/12 at 11:36pm
post #2 of 10

Did you ever find this out?  It would be great if the new MBPs could support 24/192 via optical directly.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
 

Did you ever find this out?  It would be great if the new MBPs could support 24/192 via optical directly.

cannot confirm about optical but can confirm that usb does do 24/192. in fact it is the default output bit/sample rate. tested on both 13" MBA and 15" rMBP. don't have a mini optical so cannot test toslink on the rMBP :(

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post
 

cannot confirm about optical but can confirm that usb does do 24/192. in fact it is the default output bit/sample rate. tested on both 13" MBA and 15" rMBP. don't have a mini optical so cannot test toslink on the rMBP :(

Yes I could never find out about optical but fortunately USB does :)

post #5 of 10
24/96 is the maximum it will do over optical on my 13" late 2012 rMBP.
That's the maximum optical is officially supposed to support though.
post #6 of 10

With a few exceptions, know that Macs don't tend to support 88 over optical either, and any playback of 88 will have to be resampled on the fly to 44, 48, or 96. 

post #7 of 10

The late 2013 rMBPs support both 192 and 88.2 over optical.  I have no pops, dropouts, etc. connected with a wireworld supernova 6 mini toslink to a schiit bifrost using audirvana plus.  I did enable 192 through the audio/midi preferences (follow instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5783).  

post #8 of 10

Glad to see this.  I have a 15" late 13 Retina and will try this out.  I've been using a HiFace Two.  Do you use something to switch the sample rate automatically?  

post #9 of 10

I don't use anything to switch sample rates beyond audio midi preferences - if you go into audio midi prefs before loading up audirvana the 24/192 capability is detected by audirvana (it doesn't work as reliably if you already have the program running and then change settings in audio midi prefs).  Once the capability is detected in audirvana, switching works as usual (same as USB, anyway).

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
 

Glad to see this.  I have a 15" late 13 Retina and will try this out.  I've been using a HiFace Two.  Do you use something to switch the sample rate automatically?  

 

I use BitPerfect to do this for iTunes - Vox, Audirvana etc. do it automatically...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Macbook Pro Retina 24/192?