Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › UD D100 vs dac destroyer vs odac or anything under $150
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UD D100 vs dac destroyer vs odac or anything under $150

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Which has a better value? Left my destroyer in China. I'm shooting for a clean sound. Thanks

post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

Which has a better value? Left my destroyer in China. I'm shooting for a clean sound. Thanks

SMSL SD-793II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SD-793II-DIR9001-PCM1793-OPA2134-Coax-Optical-Input-Decoder-Headphone-Amp-/110939972633?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item19d489a419

SMSL SD-1955

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SD-1955-High-end-Audio-DAC-AD1955-DIR9001-TE7022L-Optical-coaxial-USB-S-/290760515758?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item43b2ad60ae

post #3 of 19

im using an old pci creative soundblaster live! CT4620 soundcard (the one in the pic below) and replaced all capacitors with nichicon for audio caps. very smooth and detailed presentation. also added a heat sink at the dac chip because it gets hot even when stock.

 

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

You've never dissapointed me, the dac destroyer was great. But I must ask is the 40$ extra worth it for the second option compared to the first?

The SD-1955 comes with a USB input (and optical & coaxial), the SD-793 only has optical & coaxial.

The SD-793II comes with a headphone output jack (you may or may not need it) and the SD-1955 does not.

So if you have no need for USB, get the SMSL SD-793II.

post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The SD-1955 comes with a USB input (and optical & coaxial), the SD-793 only has optical & coaxial.

The SD-793II comes with a headphone output jack (you may or may not need it) and the SD-1955 does not.

So if you have no need for USB, get the SMSL SD-793II.

so just to be clear there is no diference sound wise or anything else? Thanks!

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post
so just to be clear there is no diference sound wise or anything else? Thanks!

The SD-1955 has the better DAC (AD1955) then the SD-793 (PCM1973).

But the SD-793 should be good enough for most people

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

But I must ask is the 40$ extra worth it for the second option compared to the first?

 

From the specs I'd say yes - so long as you swap out the OP275s which are being used for I/V and fit something more suitable, like LM6172. I've tried OP275 with AD1955, totally unremarkable SQ. The PCM1793 has internal opamps, no opportunity to upgrade and those on the IC are generally soso.

post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 

I found another choice that may compete with it, the ZERO DAC 24BIT/192KHz DAC, many found it to be amazing, any comments?

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapientiam View Post

 

From the specs I'd say yes - so long as you swap out the OP275s which are being used for I/V and fit something more suitable, like LM6172. I've tried OP275 with AD1955, totally unremarkable SQ. The PCM1793 has internal opamps, no opportunity to upgrade and those on the IC are generally soso.

How do I switch them, sorry not very technical or great with my hands

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 

One more thing, I've heard the sd1955 is thin and distant sounding, due to it's small price tag.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

How do I switch them, sorry not very technical or great with my hands

 

They're in sockets so pull them out carefully, perhaps using a narrow blade screwdriver underneath to lift one side at a time. Then check the pin alignment and correct rotation (pin1 has a mark usually) before fitting the replacements.

 

As for the 'thin and distant' sound, it won't be the AD1955 chip, but it could be the OP275s. The low price tag shouldn't be used as a badge of poor sound - there are plenty of higher priced DACs which use the same components as this one.

post #13 of 19
Edit:  Misunderstood a post.

Edited by otherlives - 10/2/12 at 10:14pm
post #14 of 19

What about one of these, it uses the same dac as the ODAC and is smaller. I thought it had very a clean transparent sound. Definitely a noticeable improvement from the on board sound on my HTPC which was bassy and muffled in comparison.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifimediy-Sabre-USB-DAC-ES9023-Tenor-TE7022-96khz-24bit-96-24-/140847495065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cb2a3799

post #15 of 19
Yeah that one's a bargain at $45, excellent bang for the buck by all accounts. No isolation though. As its UAC1.0 an external USB full-speed isolator could be used to good effect.
Edited by Sapientiam - 10/4/12 at 4:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › UD D100 vs dac destroyer vs odac or anything under $150