Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp - Page 6

post #76 of 270

Amazing number of diff opinions.  - Subscribe.

post #77 of 270

So does the 009 put "warm, lush, romantic" into the listing vocabulary? Because those characteristics seem to be minimized in most descriptions of the Stax sound that I have read.

 

If not and the 009 emphasis is more on transparency and detail, would the 007 be a more lush romantic sound or would it be some other Stax model?

post #78 of 270

Thankfully I don't have to...but I'll still have to wait until mid-Nov. for the store I ordered them from to get them in from Stax USA. frown.gif

 

I'm planning on keeping all of my full sized cans, but might move some of my portable gear.

post #79 of 270

They come into play depending on your source and amp. The 009 is extremely transparent. Pair with a tubed (warm, lush) source and that's the sound you'll get. Except with awesome detail. 

 

Heck, even toss in a good ol' tube buffer, or spin vinyl. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

So does the 009 put "warm, lush, romantic" into the listing vocabulary? Because those characteristics seem to be minimized in most descriptions of the Stax sound that I have read.

 

If not and the 009 emphasis is more on transparency and detail, would the 007 be a more lush romantic sound or would it be some other Stax model?

post #80 of 270

Ouch, that long? Screw that. Maybe ordering from Jack was worth it just to have to wait 2 weeks instead of 2 months.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Thankfully I don't have to...but I'll still have to wait until mid-Nov. for the store I ordered them from to get them in from Stax USA. frown.gif

 

I'm planning on keeping all of my full sized cans, but might move some of my portable gear.

post #81 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Ouch, that long? Screw that. Maybe ordering from Jack was worth it just to have to wait 2 weeks instead of 2 months.

 

 

Its actually a shortage in North America according to ElusiveDisc. That said, I'm getting a very nice discount (on the SR009s and SR727II) that waiting 6 more weeks isn't so bad. My current rig will have to do in the meantime. tongue.gif

 

Waiting for my new Stax rig and Apple to announce the new iMacs. popcorn.gif

post #82 of 270

I forgot that you're not living in poverty like I was while I waited to save that last bit and get my cans. :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

Its actually a shortage in North America according to ElusiveDisc. That said, I'm getting a very nice discount (on the SR009s and SR727II) that waiting 6 more weeks isn't so bad. My current rig will have to do in the meantime. tongue.gif

 

Waiting for my new Stax rig and Apple to announce the new iMacs. popcorn.gif

post #83 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I forgot that you're not living in poverty like I was while I waited to save that last bit and get my cans. :D

 

I'm not the most patient person in the world, but I'd still rather than them sooner than later. 

post #84 of 270
It was actually the HE-6's that prompted me to do a major consolidation; I found that once I got them dialed in that they were my go to phones for 90% of my listening.

When I added up all the other headphones, tubes, amps etc., I was well into BHSE/009 territory.

In the old days Stax was pretty much it if you wanted a true high-end amp/headphone combination and since I owned several versions over the years, for me it was a no-brainier.

I was not able to audition either piece before purchasing, not that it would have mattered anyway unless I would have been able to have them in my home for at least a month. I don't feel that this is a "wow-factor" system, sure it sounds great on first listen but it takes time to really appreciate what it is capable of reproducing.

Just one example: Brian Eno and Robert Fripp/No Pussyfooting, a recording made up of layers of sound using an (analog) tape-delay system. I reckon that I have heard this album/CD at least 300 times or more over the years on all sorts or equipment.

A couple of months after getting the BHSE/009 I decided to play it late one night. I wasn't expecting a big revelation as this really isn't an audiophile showpiece. In fact for the first few minutes my only reaction was that the tape hiss from the (1973) master was more pronounced. And then it happened...total astonishment!

As layers began to develop during "The Heavenly Music Corporation" I heard so deep into the mix that I literally started to giggle uncontrollably. I felt so connected to the music and the artist's intent; it was truly an enlightening Zen moment.

For me personally this is the end result that I seek from this not so inexpensive hobby, but of course YMMV.
Edited by vinyllp33 - 10/2/12 at 7:26pm
post #85 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

So does the 009 put "warm, lush, romantic" into the listing vocabulary? Because those characteristics seem to be minimized in most descriptions of the Stax sound that I have read.

If not and the 009 emphasis is more on transparency and detail, would the 007 be a more lush romantic sound or would it be some other Stax model?

007 will do it, as well as offering more detail than anything short of the 009, though it will depend on the amp, and with many amps, on the source as well. The various BH variants are essentially straight wire with gain, so if you have one of these amps and you want a very euphonic sound out of the 007, you will need a very euphonic source.

Unfortunately, most digital tends to be clinical and a bit bright. While the brightness is something the 007 can handle, the clinical sound often gets rubbed off on it as an inherent fault. And if it's underdriven, it will sound downright dull and kinda muffled.
post #86 of 270

Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp

Not going to happen for me with the different experiences some headphones can offer. Kind of like now listening to Sigma pro's on a 717 with a Nad M51 dac. They do not have enough treble and not even near perfect by any extent of the imagination but what they do have is an experience like no other headphone. The Nad sure brings out the stage depth. I'd rather wear these silly looking things than lead weights like the Lcd,He-6 etc that will warp the shape of your head over time.

post #87 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post

Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp



Not going to happen for me with the different experiences some headphones can offer. Kind of like now listening to Sigma pro's on a 717 with a Nad M51 dac. They do not have enough treble and not even near perfect by any extent of the imagination but what they do have is an experience like no other headphone. The Nad sure brings out the stage depth. I'd rather wear these silly looking things than lead weights like the Lcd,He-6 etc that will warp the shape of your head over time.

Ya had to go there didn't ya. wink.gif

and no, the 6s are gold weights tongue.gif
post #88 of 270
I must have a very hard head because I never had any comfort issues with the HE-6's, just great sound.smily_headphones1.gif
post #89 of 270

Audezes? Yes. Hifimans? No. 

 

I found my HD500s and the HE6 I tried to be just fine comfort wise. Weight distribution is much better than the LCD 2s. No stupid 'lumpy' headband either.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyllp33 View Post

I must have a very hard head because I never had any comfort issues with the HE-6's, just great sound.smily_headphones1.gif
post #90 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


Ya had to go there didn't ya. wink.gif
and no, the 6s are gold weights tongue.gif

 

The voice coil looks golden to me.  beerchug.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp