for me, all these high priced headphones are not worth it as i find the same enjoyment and quality from "lower" end models. i have found the gains to be more substantial and worth it in the amp department.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Stax 009 for Gaming? Last post on 8/1/12 at 2:17am in High-end Audio Forum
- History of headphones - a good article Last post on 9/30/12 at 5:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Most Comfortable Headphone you own!!!! Last post on 10/13/12 at 9:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp - Page 4post #46 of 27010/1/12 at 6:45pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 27010/1/12 at 8:43pm
There's a point to where I tend to agree, but the transducer is always the most important part. You can pair a cheap amp with a good can and it still sounds good, but generally (IME) you can't take a cheap can and pair it with something like an LF and get gold.post #48 of 27010/1/12 at 9:10pm
With headphones the size or area of the transducers are about the same, just different driver technology. But 4 times the price of my ortho plus the amp, to me, is just not worth it.
And I would agree too with a better amp making a big difference.
Edited by wuwhere - 10/1/12 at 9:18pmpost #49 of 27010/1/12 at 9:17pmpost #50 of 27010/1/12 at 9:20pmpost #51 of 27010/1/12 at 9:23pmpost #52 of 27010/1/12 at 10:42pmpost #53 of 27010/1/12 at 11:26pmQuote:
I doubt you will miss you previous GS-X given that you probably are purchasing the new one right?post #54 of 27010/2/12 at 6:57amQuote:
Wouldn't offensive be more appropriate?post #55 of 27010/2/12 at 7:30am
If your priority is getting lost in the music, don't let the journey towards attaining the ultimate audio chain detract you from actually being able to enjoy such, lest once you get there you will be left with nothing but a void.
Otherwise, nothing wrong with one single setup.post #56 of 27010/2/12 at 7:43amI was smitten with the delicate and airy sound of stats in speakers. But every time I went to a few friend's systems, I was always impressed with the bass. My headphone rig has to have some meat on it as a compliment so I'd decline the gracious offer and instead find the best amp for my tastes and stay with the ortho.post #57 of 27010/2/12 at 8:59am
OP question may be a bit too general. It might be better if the question was 'I absolutely love the sound of the SR009/amp, should I sell everything to make a purchase'. Otherwise, this is going to turn into the same old Ortho vs Stax debacle. Then someone could create a new thread 'Why I love my Ortho's and can't stand Stax'.post #58 of 27010/2/12 at 9:05am
We all have a feminine side and a masculine side. It is differently balanced in every one of us. The masculine orthos does not resonate that good with my feminine side. So I stick to orthos.
PostScript: That was an innocent joke.post #59 of 27010/2/12 at 9:20am
I re-read my comments and, well, you're right, point taken. I didn't mean to be so confrontational, I was just trying to make a general opinion and also to say what I liked about the headphone world overall.
Yeah, this should all be fun, fun, fun absolutely.
Regards.post #60 of 27010/2/12 at 9:24amQuote:
So Asr, I've been reading and enjoying your great posts all these years, so thanks, but am I reading you right that you have no systems with dynamic phones anymore?
I say this because IMHO dynamics have taken a revolutionary step to greatness in the last few years, where even 5 years ago only maybe R10s were superb.
I absolutely love my LCD3s, TH900s, and feel almost the same with a good portion of my music with HD800s, and these are leagues ahead to my ears
than anything say, 5 years ago. (Personally, I actually like all of these more than my former R10s, which I sold as not worth it with the new generation of phones.)
Edited by rgs9200m - 10/2/12 at 9:29am
- Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 16 seconds ago
- › PSB M4U1 - Thoughts? 18 seconds ago
- › Etymotic Er4p Great Condition 1 minute ago
- › Hey 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › IEM Advice - ~$60 1 minute ago
- › In-Ear Monitors and Working Out 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 3 minutes ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 3 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2